Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so if i drive for a long time ...like 100 miles or more i notice that my shifter/boot gets rather hot. the other day i was driving north (in california) and after about 2 hours or so the shifter knob (which has some metal) was nearly so hot that i couldn't touch it without burning myself. the transmission is shifting fine and all tho.

any sort of diagnosis? is this normal if i have a metal shifter knob because it can transfer heat?

·
Supra Fan
4,114 Posts
Is the rubber boot/insulator underneith the shifter boot still there?

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
There should be a rubber boot over the shifter, under the cloth/leather shift boot. Think of it like 2 shift boots. The rubber one is screwed onto the top of the transmission tunnel, the cloth/leather shift boot goes over that, and the shift knob goes on top. The transmission DOES blow out hot air, I had this problem as well, but this was because I wasn't using a shift boot. For a temp fix, just remove the shift knob on long drives. To actually fix the problem, check that everything surrounding the shifter is in proper order and working.

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Mine gets a little warm also - I was wondering about that. I have good shifter seals, I think it's just heat conducted from the tranny.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
yep, the tranny does get quite hot, but I'd also check the level of the gear lube in it just in case...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will have to check that boot. how do i check if there is enough transmission fluid or what not? thanks for your help guys

·
function > form
512 Posts
My 90 turbo got real warm on my trips between Palm Springs and SSF. I could actually feel heat through the transmission tunnel if I pushed my right leg against the lower portion of the dash. I'd just check fluid level and look at the boot.

I assume you don't have a manual to locate the transmission fill plug. Seriously, get a manual or wait to see if someone will upload a pic. I haven't checked the fluid level in over a year, when I first bought my 90, so I can't tell you where to find it. A bit of guidance.. it's on the side of the transmission, probably about half way between the front and rear housings.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
it's not hard to find at all, it's on the side of the tranny, and you will need a ratchet to get it off, and maybe a extenstion, it's probaly 1/2 inch or 3/8 , looks like a plug.

if this seems confusing, look at what the plug on the bottom looks like.. .

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm glad this came up. I was going to make a thread on the same issue but the difference being that mine is an auto. Of course, I have a vinyl type handle that is a good insulator but the shaft from the transmission gets rather hot. I also have a rather large fluid cooler so this was definitely a concern. Good to know I'm not alone in this. I'm just surprised that it came from you manual guys first.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
I never had that problem with that car. If it meens anything, he's got the Sogi short shift mod. The trans also has 75w90 Royal Purple gear oil in it, never noticed any trans leaks myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hmmm then maybe i won't feel tooooo bad. but i will still get the fluid level checked as soon as i get a chance just to play it safe

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
aftermarket exhaust?

I could see the exhaust radiating enough heat to warm the auto tranny's selection lever pretty easy...

·
Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
1,596 Posts
I just filled my R154 with Royal Purple and the shaft still gets quite hot after about 45 minutes of driving. I guess it's normal for our cars?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I knew the fluid wouldn't make any difference. I posted earlier that I have RP and mine still gets hot. I run an oversize tranny cooler so I guess that's the nature of this beast unless you have close exhaust issues.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts