Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently had my car realigned and yesterday had to jack up the passenger side to re install my wastegate. Today I got out and while driving down the road I have to turn the steering wheel to the right to actually go straight. It was perfect before I jacked up the passenger side. Should that have thrown it out of alignment?

·
Registered
34 Posts
back to the alignment shop!

·
Registered
682 Posts
No, alignments are done by adjusting front suspension components. Jacking it up would only affect the alignment if something was left loose during the alignment procedure and that is a long shot.
Did you jack up the car by using the front suspension by any chance. If so, you may have bent something. You should always jack it up from the side. I put my jack base under the frame rail almost lined up with the middle of the door., never from the front or the back.

·
Banned
624 Posts
When I've changed suspension on the car
I had it on one side little longer than the other and I've seen the #'s it seemed to change the alignment slightly.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
BARTON said:
No, alignments are done by adjusting front suspension components. Jacking it up would only affect the alignment if something was left loose during the alignment procedure and that is a long shot.
So how does a car come out of alignment then?

BARTON said:
You should always jack it up from the side. I put my jack base under the frame rail almost lined up with the middle of the door., never from the front or the back.
So why did Toyota make front and rear jack points?

Jacking your car up could have screwed the alignment up so it's probably safe to have it checked.

http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/vehicle_lift_and_support_locations/index.html

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have never heard of such blasphemy...The only way you could throw your alignment off by jacking it up is if you were jacking it up on the tie rod or something ridiculous...Or you had a some POS with the frame rails rusted away...you know, the ones you try to jack up and the jack just goes up and up and the car doesn't go up with it~!!!!

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Jacking up a car will not affect your alignment,only if you jack up on a tie rod, as someone stated, you may have driven on different road, some roads are built with a slight angle for the water to run off,and it would feel like the car is pulling to the right

G

·
it could mess it up. the springs will stretch out and when you lower the car back down the springs may not be in the orignal position that they were in especially if your car is equipped with lowering springs. also if you have worn bushings or loose suspension components jacking it up on one side only may throw it off as well. thats why dealerships jack up the car with lifts so it raises the car equally on all 4 sides.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
LOL...this is freaking nuts.

Jacking up the vehicle properly does NOT mess up the alignment. Plain and simple.

If when u lower ur car back down and notice the wheel sits different than it did, its cause the suspension isnt settled yet. Drive it around the block and it will settle back down and be fine.

redline_or_nothing said:
Today I got out and while driving down the road I have to turn the steering wheel to the right to actually go straight.
This can be simply tire pressure, road surface, tire wear, steering linkage, etc.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Come on now, think about this logically. If the car's alignment was so delicate that it couldn't stay straight while simply being jacked up while stationary, then the car theoretically shouldn't be driven over any road incline, bump, and pothole, and shouldn't ever be driven in anything but a straight line because all those would certainly also cause alignment problems.

The car did no go out of alignment from jacking it up.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BARTON said:
Did you jack up the car by using the front suspension by any chance.
I used the spare tire jack and placed it where the owners manual stated (the frame rail has 2 notches in it up past the front door) and only jacked it up high enough to where I could reach under the car and push up on the downpipe. I have to assume that Meinike didnt have everything tightened up to spec. I will call them tomorrow since it should be under their warranty.

G

·
crossways said:
Come on now, think about this logically. If the car's alignment was so delicate that it couldn't stay straight while simply being jacked up while stationary, then the car theoretically shouldn't be driven over any road incline, bump, and pothole, and shouldn't ever be driven in anything but a straight line because all those would certainly also cause alignment problems.

The car did no go out of alignment from jacking it up.
the suspension wont move in that situation becuase there is weight being forced upon it. when you jack up the vehicle the weight is relieved from the suspension allowing it to move free if worn or loose.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
turbodg said:
...Or you had a some POS with the frame rails rusted away...you know, the ones you try to jack up and the jack just goes up and up and the car doesn't go up with it~!!!!
:rofl: Lets do a poll on those who have done that!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts