Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to take my car to my mechanic saturday and i want him to set my timing back to stock cuz the bolt on the distributor was loose and it moved the whole way retarded(i beleive all the way down is retarded??) But i was wondering if he will know to jump the terminals cuz i think it would be kinda ignorant if i tell him to do it he already knows. To me i would think the person is questioning my ability to fix cars and he is a real good mechanic and knows his shit. Thanks...

·
Supra Enthusiast
2,382 Posts
this is an interesting thread....Not sure what you're looking for. You seem like you already know the answer to your question and you're just looking for opinions?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Csupratt93 said:
thanks for all your help

:wtflol: :lol: :bowrofl: sorry but that shit was funny as hell after he did the WTF one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i say just watch him do it and if he doesnt do it then tell him. or if your that worried about it just tell him who cares what he thinks its your car and your concerned and your the customer and just want things done right. or you could go buy a timing light for like $30 and then not worry about it which might be a better thing anyway if he is charging you for something so simple.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Wow dude. You worried too much about the way you appear to people or what holy crap man. Just tell him to make sure. Just thinking about refraining from speaking about something important is ignorant enough on your part.

:run:

·
Registered
961 Posts
For the price he's going to charge you to do such a simple job, go buy a timing light and do it yourself :bigthumb:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hes not gonna charge me cuz i get him parts for his garage all the time from a parts store i work at. Ive never had to have my cars timing done and i see on here how everyone is always saying to use a paper clip or something to jump the terminals and i didnt know you have to do this to all cars and thought it was maybe just supras for some reason. Im the stupid one i guess for not knowing i had to use a paper clip on the terminals and just figured he might not know either cuz its not everyday he works on supras. My bad for the dumb thread.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
Like they said already, it's your car. If he can't take you being concerned that he does a proper quality job, he shouldn't be doing it.
BTW there should be a sticker on the under side of the hood that shows what pins to jumper and what the timing should be.

You could hang a paper clip to the Diag block and say something like "I already have a paper clip on the diag block, you can use, when you go the check timing"
If he says what for? go somewhere else :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
You seem to know enough about your car to do it yourself so I guess my question is: Why arent you?

·
Registered
409 Posts
are those terminals that need to be jumped to set the timing the same ones that are used to pull codes?

K

·
0 Posts
setting the time on a car (supra) isn't to difficult, takes about 15 mins. Just bring your repair manual. If he cant do it then maybe you should see a different doctor :)

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
this is quite certainly one of the stupidest questions Ive ever seen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts