1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
rice.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
I cleaned and delined my headlights about 4 months ago. I was going to paint them like the 97s, but decided that I like the delined chrome look better. I may repaint the inside of my lights black as my car is black as well.
Here is a pic of one of the lights... I will post a pic with them on the car L8R.

Brandon

·
Banned
291 Posts
IGGYWOOWOO said:
I cleaned and delined my headlights about 4 months ago. I was going to paint them like the 97s, but decided that I like the delined chrome look better. I may repaint the inside of my lights black as my car is black as well.
Here is a pic of one of the lights... I will post a pic with them on the car L8R.

Brandon
those headlights look nice and should look really good with the black housing. how long did it take you to delign the lense? in short, what was the process to do it?

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
It is not easy work for the faint of heat! You basically have to take the lights apart using an oven. You then must sand down the lines inside of the lens. You must then take a lot of care to remove any grooves or gouges you put into the lens. Finally, you polish the lens starting coarse and migrating to fine. I have actually come up with a pretty efficient process to do all of this with the use of a lot of body shop tools and accessories. I also resealed the lights with OEM sealant instead of the widely used inferior silicone. I am about to start on my backup set of lights with an extra mod, but I will not disclose that here.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
When you're sanding the lines out, what grit do you start with? Also, are you so careful as to only sand the lines or do you pretty much just have at the entire inner lens? If you could post what the process would be for do it yourselfers including what grits of paper etc.. to work through, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Justin

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
You do just try to sand the lines. However, some of the lines are actually indentions where you have to bring the rest of the material down to that lower level instead of just sanding a line down. If you don't have the right powertools and are doing this by hand... I would suggest starting with 220 and working your way up to 2000. Then polishing that out.

B

·
Premium Member
12,615 Posts
VINZE said:
JdM cOmInG Wiff Da MaD TyTeNeSs YO!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
FYI, the first headlamp (clearcorners.com) and the second headlamp (unknown) are not the same. The second appears to use a cold-cathode fluorecent tube like the ones you see in PC cases and fans, while the first uses LED.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts