Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea yea autos not my fav... but i hate driving a stick in heavy traffic... anyway, does anyone know if those ebay special automatic shift knobs with the overdrive button function the same as the one i have in? will the overdrive button work? I have never actually taken the stuff apart so any help would be appreciated.

·
General Hooligan
208 Posts
overdrive is just a button, so any switch will do, u just need to open and close the circuit, and get a sentra/corolla(bombers are awesome) if ur driving in traffic all the time, and convert the supra to stick its much mroe entertaining and possibly safer.......

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
dude he was asking about shift knobs you knob, he never asked about buying a friggin sentra, and yes the automatic is excellent for heavy traffic and the highway. i would like to know about aftermarket auto shift knobs too.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
hmm, all the button does it control it, just find any shift knob that will fit with a O/D button then wire it up. I personally like the auto shift knob in the 01 maxima anniversery edition auto. I have no clue if it will work in a supra. All i know is it is nice. Good luck on the hunt for a shift knob

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
i dont think anyone makes such a thing, unfortunatly, i think it would have to be a custom peice.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
i have the jdm tyte auto shift knob with o/d ;)

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
damnn busted! lol

yea the only thing is that i forgot to cut and fit the rubber boot and put it on so it's kinda naked
and you can't use the insert as it then doesn't reach the shifter
i checked in the very top of the shift knob and there's nothing there that could really get damaged by the button pushing down

if you put the insert on the shifter ends up 10ft tall LOL

so basically... test fit the shifter, get the rubber boot and cut to size and then fit and stick wires thru the rubber boot and thru the shifter hole and hook up the o/d
push the shifter on and put it in position so that when you press the shift button it does actually push the original button and shifts position
when ya think ya got it right... use the screws they've got and screw it in

quirk with o/d button.... it doesn't seem to matter which position the switch is in when you hook it up to the original o/d wires... i swapped the wires round... and it still did exactly the same thing

if ya want i can get some close ups etc of my install :)

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
i only put one grub screw in the front as well... seems to hold on alrite... i gave it a good wiggle and doesn't really move :)

white insert thingy i didn't install.. made the shifter too high... could not figure out the little round black thing lol and the rubber boot you need to cut :)

·
Check Your Face!!!
1,417 Posts
hey suprra girl, where did you get that piece? let me know thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was going to ask a really stupid question,then I realized you had a RHD Supra. It helps if I check member locations doesn't it? :D

I was thinking of making my own custom shift knob. If I reuse mose of the factory parts,I don't think it would be that hard to actually do. The knob seems to be the exact same as the one in my Z31,so I can probably do trial and error work with that knob to see if I can actually do it or not. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to make though.

·
7M POWAH! baby ;)
2,396 Posts
it's a Type R item... i think obx may do type r brands... cost me $100nzd can get more in but i'm sure you will have them there somewhere :)

J

·
0 Posts
pfft why bother with o/d button on the knob, put it somewhere else and get a nice knob without o/d. soon i wont need o/d at all anyway cause im getting the suprastick v4 standalone tiptronic tranny computer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts