Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know how to describe it any better but I am in the process of doing my valve stem seals and the very last one on the inlet side I cannot for the life of me get the bucket to go back down all the way and have it still turn. The shim on the top spins fine but when I get teh bucket all the way in it will not turn, only the shim on top. Any suggestions short of pulling the whole head which I hopefully will not have to do :dunno:

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
That had happened to me when I was doing the valve stem seals too. I just used a plier and took the bucket back out. The shim turns freely once it's on the bucket and the bucket should spin freely once it's in the head as well.

Try taking it out and putting it back in until it spins freely. That's what I had to do with all my buckets.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me i tried that numerous times, I just picked up a little hone and I am going to try and smooth any burs or anything out that might have happened during the wrestling match that I had getting the seal itself out....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did you use valve stem seal pliers to remove the seal? Just curious if you maybe nicked the wall that the bucket slides into.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
One of mine got like that, there was a little nick in the side of the bore. I took some steel wool and had to smooth it out. I did have my head off the car though when I did all this.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I used the valve stem seal pliers, but its still very possible that I nicked the side because of how close that cylinder hole is to the lip of the hood line.....

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
are you using a high moly assy lube?

stem seal pliers are the WORST - they should never have been invented. I have a slide hammer style stem seal puller ( I used to sell them here ) an there is no way to damage the bore - you'd have to try.

If you nicked the bore, very gently massage it with some steel wool or a very fine emery cloth. Be sure to clean the bore 1000000% because any grit that you leave behind will cause the bucket to bind.

when you reassemble the buckets, coat them, the seal lips, the cam and the bearings with high moly content assy lube.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i clean the bore until nothing was coming off with a paper towel soked in fresh oil, I then coated the seal, bucket, etc with assembly lube, everything slides around real nice now......damn it feels good to be done with all the valves, now I have to do the timing belt, idler and tensioner......

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a slide hammer style stem seal puller
hot damn i was wishing for one of those actually but i never saw any of them for sale.......oh well, all the seals are in now and the buckets/shims slide in circles and come in and out easily.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts