Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Roll Call for Road Atlanta in September!

What: Hot Lapping Days with Panoz Racing School

Where: Road Atlanta, one of the premier road racing courses in the United States, and particularly well suited for big high-horsepower cars like the Supra. If you have any questions or doubts, take a look at Leh Keen's video around that track in the GSC Supra and you will be both inspired and humbled.

When: September 16-17, 2006 (Saturday and Sunday)

Cost: $600 (ouch)

Stay - There are several hotels nearby - old farts like me tend to prefer the nicer Wingate, which is about 15 minutes from the track, but there is a closer, cheaper hotel that IIRC, was not all that great.

Among other plans, we will have either a barbeque or a dinner with the Atlanta Supras most likely on Saturday night, and if we hold to tradition, there may be an excursion for a mammary gland appreciation event. If you don't know what that means, you are not invited to that part of the event.

We want to see how many proiple commit more or less early, so that we can try and get some sort of club or group discount.

Please post up and sign, including if you are coming to run or to chill, so that we can start organizing things. This should be awesome.

Needless to say, I will be on track, albeit slow as always..

Cheers
Rich B.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
dumb question - does the panoz school rent panoz race cars?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Panoz does not list just a straight up rental. You might try OPM Motorsports. If they will not accomodate you they might know someone who can. If you look this far enough in advance you can probably find someone. I will look for you as well.

http://www.opmautosports.com/motorsports/rental_sales.html
Barry H.

I plan on being at the event Saturday only as far as the track is concerned. I will stay at the old fart's palace. If we get more than nine there is a room discount for a group. Calling for prices and comparing to the internet is good too. I have gotten rooms there for $75 a night. It just depends.

You might peruse improvedtouring.com to see if there is someone with an IT car or go to specmiata.com to see who in the atlanta area might rent you a car.

Barry H.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Ok - I will be there if we get critical mass. I'm due some serious vacation time, and this is a good chance to get together with my Supra brethren.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
I'll be there. I plan to run both days - you get a lot more time on Sunday (if your car isn't too loud!).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
VickSupra said:
I'll be there. I plan to run both days - you get a lot more time on Sunday (if your car isn't too loud!).
The last time I went on a sunday the track was "too clear" for my personal tastes. I get bored with too much clear track.

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
bwill said:
The last time I went on a sunday the track was "too clear" for my personal tastes. I get bored with too much clear track.
Nah - your car is just too loud for Sunday.
I think you are just afraid of me............ :fawk:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Actually my car is pretty quiet. Dumbass me has the cat still on the car. I believe I have video coming on Barber. If you go advanced at Road Atlanta on saturday you will have your chance to have a "piece of me". It is a horsepower course so you better be able to run my NA 1.8 liter down with your 3.0 liter single turbo. I can't lose because I have the pity excuse of being a little ricey motor less than 200 hp at the wheel. Hell it should be fun. I bet you get that thing hauling ass on the back straight.

Barry H.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NASA is cheaper, but it will be extremely hot and crowded.

Cheers
Rich

·
Very Senior Member
10,054 Posts
Rich B said:
NASA is cheaper, but it will be extremely hot and crowded.

Cheers
Rich
Definitely very crowded and very hot. I was there last August and earlier this year.
NASA is getting too many vehicles to the track now. Can't even find a place to park in the paddock!! And the run groups were getting too big. I'm going to continue going to NASA events, but August in Atlanta is murder.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You don't want to be in a crowded situation at RA in a Supra. One of the most glorious parts of driving the Sup at RA is getting it right out of turn 7, the long back-stretch, accelerating like the Supra will.. the last thing you want is to have to be getting behind people, and having to constantly wait for wave-by's.

There is a happy medium - enough cars on track to give you a target - next guy to pass, guy who passed you and is very fast and you follow, learn from; but getting stuck last in a line of cars because the guy in front of you will not wave you by is no fun. This has happened to me, and is more likely to happen in a very crowded track.

The intense August heat is also not very friendly to small-engined turbo cars, nor to middle aged, out of shape drivers (like me).

Cheers
Rich B

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
So -- now is probably a good time to book this all out for me.

Who for sure is going to go?
- quick (Chris)
- Rich B
- bwill (Barry)
- VickSupra
- TGIF_1 (Ron) - ? oil pressure concerns?

Others? Leh? Matt? etc?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Man, I'd love to go to this but have a vacation already booked for this weekend.
Please tell me this will be a yearly meet and run event.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts