Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the significance of specific gravity ? what would be the difference between one fuel at 0.700 and one at 0.734 ?

also whats more important ron or mon ?

·
Just an old *******
2,550 Posts
A higher gravity fuel will run richer. It is very important if you tune with a lite heavy fuel, then switch to a lighter fuel, you could run lean. MON is motor octane, and is the important one. RON is the research octane, and the closer they are to one another, the more stable the fuel.

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeApeRacing/tech/fuelsystems.pdf

what is the significance of specific gravity ? what would be the difference between one fuel at 0.700 and one at 0.734 ?

also whats more important ron or mon ?

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Errol, or any experienced input appreciated --

My local speed shop where I buy C16 has mentioned a number of times that a couple of the lower octane VP race gases, I think they said this about C12 for example, "are not really intended for turbocharged applications" and they mention the specific gravity issue. And this is not octane related as far as how much boost you can run safely, they just don't recommend it for turbo'd motors. Any facts behind these comments?

·
Just an old *******
2,550 Posts
Nick
useing the info from grape ape, and here http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html#specialty you will be able to make an informed decision on your own. Why vp says these things, is beyond me, I can only assume that men in little white coats that work in there lab know what they are doing.

Errol, or any experienced input appreciated --

My local speed shop where I buy C16 has mentioned a number of times that a couple of the lower octane VP race gases, I think they said this about C12 for example, "are not really intended for turbocharged applications" and they mention the specific gravity issue. And this is not octane related as far as how much boost you can run safely, they just don't recommend it for turbo'd motors. Any facts behind these comments?

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Thanks, Errol.

Somebody here in work just paged me and said that some men in white coats are here to take me away, so I'll ask them about this specific gravity question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts