Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know how loud is the gt spec on the N1 on the scale of 1-10, where 1 is the stock exhaust and 10 being the loudest.
Where would the gt spec fall under WITH and WITHOUT the silencer?
How much difference is 7 decibels? I dont know any thing about what and how decibel measurements work.

I decided to stay NA for a little while because of college tuitions. But I would still like to get the gt spec. I can get the gtspec cheaper than the N1
http://www.performancecenter.com/products/searchtype_567d/sortorder_DAAAAA/productcategory_Exhaust+Systems/category_Exhaust+~~+Headers/sf1_TOYOTA/sf2_1997/sf3_SUPRA/sf4_3.0l/partnumber_APX171-KT01/

Thank You.

·
2JZA70
2,536 Posts
I had a gte spec on my MK3 and it was about a 7 without the silencer and about a 3 with it. It was a little quieter than the N1 ( which I had before it) and much deeper tone.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the gtspec fit an NA supra?

I need more opinions on my previous questions above ^

I will be ordering one this weekend after I review and like other people's experience with this exhaust on their NAs'

THANK YOU

·
Just cruisin.
75 Posts
The N1 i've got on my MA70 sounds great and it gets loud to like maybe a 8 or 9 when you open your car up. Since my 7Ms got .5 liters more than your 1JZ that could be the only difference id see. 7M=3.0 ltr and the 1JZ=2.5 ltr but if you have the stock 2 1/2 inch pipping it should bolt right up. Id go with the N1 bc i had the GT first and didnt like it as much as the N1 but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how much does the silencer help?

I know that the gtspec is going to be loud on an NA supra and that the gtspec is turbo exhaust, but how much quiter is the silencer going to make the exhaust?
how much on the 1-10 scale, where 1 is stock and 10 being the loudest?

Where would gtspec be on the scale without the silencer?

·
Just cruisin.
75 Posts
My gt spec was say bout a 8 w/o silencer and bout a 7 with only it sounded whiney and like air was getting past it around the sides so i chunked the silencer for it. But im looking for a silencer for my N1 wich is a 4.5" cant find one for it.

Hey dave if yours is a 4.5" how much you want for it?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is there no way to modify the silencer to stop that whiney sound you talk of?
I want the sound level to be around 6-7.

·
Just cruisin.
75 Posts
I have two other friends with MKiiis and they both have the gt spec bc theve got turbos but they both got rid of the silencer bc it made the same "hissing" sound; i guess thats the best way to put it. My N1 is not that loud until it starts to resinate at or around 2,500 but until then with light pedel pressure its actually about a 3 its when you open it up it gets loud.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there a way I can bend the circular outer lining of the silencer out a little to cover up the space around the whole silencer and the exhaust canister?

·
Just cruisin.
75 Posts
its possible i guess but my friend ryan tried using a metel gasget fro it and matt tried using a pipe bender to roll the outside edge but that did more bad then good. the only thing they didnt try was to heat it up abd cool it quick.

·
5,058 Posts
You have to take into account that the silencer has to be smaller to fit into the tip.
I am positive my GT-Spec had a 3.75" pipe going into the muffler and a 4.5" tip

yotatoysupra89 said:
Crap that wont work mine is the 4.5" with the 3" inlet but if you run across one that will work hit me up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts