Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching but everytime i put something in i get a blank screen. Ive been getting mixed info on what the answer is so im just gonna post it.Im still new to Auto just recently got rid of my 6-speed so dunno everything about it yet but... Im going BPU next week and was wondering how much power can the stock tranny hold? I don't plan on going anything higher then bpu for atleast 2-3 years so i just wanna make sure it will hold good at bpu levels. Car has 55k miles on it and was very well maintained.

Basic Bpu- DP/Intake/Exhaust/BCC/MBC pushing 14psi Max. Perhaps a FMIC in a year or so.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
Mine did not... its luck of the draw

then again i was running high 11s on a stock toyo trans with a high stall

realistically, it will take about 450rwhp on a stock stall, and depending on the type of aftermarket converter, significantly less

also, things like AEM and pulling the trac fuse shorten the life of the trans

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ya im leaving the Trac fuse in unless i ever take it to the track. Its my daily so Ill rarely ever Take it to the track or Launch it from a stop. Mainly just wanna have fun with highway pulls with it without having to worry it will suddenly break.

I plan on leaving the tranny alone Aside from a fan and cooler. Stock converter and everything.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
having fun on the highway is very dangerous.... i opt against it
Highway pulls are actually the most likely to blow your trans... if you stay on the throttle for too long, it will heat up. If you do 2 or more consecutive highway pulls, your chances of blowing the trans grow exponentially

if you want to extend the life, i suggest a transmission cooler w/use of the stock cooler as well as wiring the aux fan on

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
well going by what you said in your first post id say you will have no problems whatsoever. 14psi max shouldn't be anything near 450rwhp, so let her rip! :D You could prob still get away with 18lbs daily. maybe not so much with abused highways pulls all the time though.

Alex

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
Alx2785 said:
well going by what you said in your first post id say you will have no problems whatsoever. 14psi max shouldn't be anything near 450rwhp, so let her rip! :D You could prob still get away with 18lbs daily.

Alex
better safe then sorry in my opinion... $60 on a trans cooler, and a couple dollars worth of wiring up a fan are cheaper then thousands of dollars on a blown trans in the long run

and believe me, when i say luck of the draw.. i mean it

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swearitsstock said:
having fun on the highway is very dangerous.... i opt against it
Highway pulls are actually the most likely to blow your trans... if you stay on the throttle for too long, it will heat up. If you do 2 or more consecutive highway pulls, your chances of blowing the trans grow exponentially

if you want to extend the life, i suggest a transmission cooler w/use of the stock cooler as well as wiring the aux fan on
Would it be safe on 14-16psi with a fan and tranny cooler to play around on the freeway?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
oh he already said he was going to be putting a cooler in there so I didnt think I needed to mention it again. ;) I need to get one soon too haha

BTW I run 18-20 lbs daily driving getting on it at least a few times a day. Usually just 1st to 2nd gear pulls. Car has 140k miles on it, tranny feels ok. Still dont have a freakin cooler on it. :sadance:
Alex

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
definitely... but still dont do consecutive passes

if you note the stock twins 1/4 mile time in my sig.... yea, that was 1 pass, on a fresh trans fresh converter... it was also a very expensive tow home

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ya lol nothing consecutive its the daily and when Im driving home from work every now and then wanna just have a little fun like everyone else.

Cool Thanks alot guys been wondering if it was ok or not for a few weeks now. Def gonna snag a blitz Tranny cooler and 7.5 SPAL fan with the bpu.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Ah yes, but as you said with a stock stall the heat his car generates wont be as high as your car. At your power level with a stall then yes he wants to be VERY careful. But at 14lbs on the stock stall with a cooler, he should be more than alright just doing a couple runs every so often.

Im prob trappin 110 on pump at most so your stock trannied setup had a good bit more power than either of us do with that 123 trap of yours ;)

I guess i should add I have a pulled TRAC fuse, but I try not to stay in it between gears at WOT. IE: Get on it in first let off the gas about halfway. car shifts into second then roll through most of second. Tranny would prob be done by now if I just kept it planted.

Alex

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
AZSUPRATT said:
Ya lol nothing consecutive its the daily and when Im driving home from work every now and then wanna just have a little fun like everyone else.

Cool Thanks alot guys been wondering if it was ok or not for a few weeks now. Def gonna snag a blitz Tranny cooler and 7.5 SPAL fan with the bpu.
woah woah woah... thats expensive

go on summit or jegs and find yourself a nice B&m cooler for cheap... some of them already come with attached fans, relays, and thermostats

youd be amazed at the price and performance that alot of these domestic parts offer

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
honestly I think dusty has a special on a 50 dollar cooler shipped on the front page of MVP. No reason to buy those rediculously expensive Japanese coolers.

Alex

·
To the MSB BAtman!
1,689 Posts
can anyone throw up some pics on hoe they mounted their coolers with fans? im finding difficulty imagining how dusty's cooler with a spal fan would fit nicley and effectivly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya im also looking at putting in MVP Fluidyn Tranny Cooler and a 7.5 SPAL fan. it says it doesnt have directions to fit it to the vehicle. Anyone have this and know if its hard to do or not?

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
AZSUPRATT said:
Ya im also looking at putting in MVP Fluidyn Tranny Cooler and a 7.5 SPAL fan. it says it doesnt have directions to fit it to the vehicle. Anyone have this and know if its hard to do or not?
you put it under the drivers side headlight...

requires a little bit of work, bending, custom brackets, and relocating PS lines... but it works and it gets lotsa air

I have the B&M supercooler (12x8 w/fan) and a derale frame rail cooler (24x3 between fmic and radiator)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GREAT THREAD Thanks for postin that. Any idea where i can buy a guage?the link on that isnt sold anymore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts