Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tried searching for it but with the search function down couldnt find the answer

I just recently installed unorthodox racing cam gears in my bpu supra and set the exhaust side retarded 3 notches which if i am correct is -6 degrees and set the intake side +1 which is +2 degrees..is this a safe set up or will i have carbon build up in the head
mods are greddy 3 row fmic, greddy profec b bc, tanabe dp, old school greddy p.e exhaust, and soon bcc

thanks in advance

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
A basic starting set up for most aftermarket cam gears would be -3 marks on the exhaust side and +1 marks on the intake side, which results in -6 degrees retard on the exhaust and +2 advance degrees on the intake. Most of your power gain would be made on the exhaust side. This is just a basic starting point, dyno and fine tuning will be needed to better set them to there optimal range depending on your set up. Don’t expect major horse power gains with cam gears.

Mike, You have the numbers right there just backwards.

·
Registered
231 Posts
A basic starting set up for most aftermarket cam gears would be -3 marks on the exhaust side and +2 marks on the intake side, which results in -6 degrees retard on the exhaust and +2 advance degrees on the intake.
is this a typo or do the marks really work differently? you said +2 marks =2 degrees on intake and -3 marks = -6 degrees.... its either a typo or im screwing up simple math :p thanks

·
Registered
MKIV TT 6 Speed
1,488 Posts
is this a typo or do the marks really work differently? you said +2 marks =2 degrees on intake and -3 marks = -6 degrees.... its either a typo or im screwing up simple math :p thanks
No your math is correct I screwed up “TYPO” +1 marks on the intake = +2 degrees. Thanks, I just edited the post.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^yea me to just double checking because i herd that if the timing i set just a couple notches (which equals double the degrees) off you can build up carbon in the head

1 - 6 of 6 Posts