Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would the best turbo kit to get for a 97 NA Supra that would the easiest to install?
I was thinking about of getting a TT swap done by a proffesional but it would cost me alot to do that.
I am not very good mechanically, I can only do simple stuff, for example install a intake system. LOL.
Well what na-t kit would be an easy bolton for me, or do you guys think I should get it done by some one good at it? I looked at the na-t basic install sticky, but the only part that seems hard is drilling the oilpan for the oil return.

THANK YOU GUYS

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I checked out the HPF No Drilling for oil return kit. What do you guys think of that?
Do any of you guys have this kit installed? I checked their video out, the man on there makes the kit and the whole installation process very easy; plus there is no tuning required or any other upgrades needed to make about 300 hp.
Any input from you guys

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
proabably the HPF kit sonce you dont have to drill the upper pan, that was the biggest hold up on my NA-T project. teh only problem with not drilling, is that the sensor is on the opposite side of the engine than the turbo...so you are basically gravity feeding return oil around the block to the other side...whethor you go aorund the front or back im not sure, but thats a little risky. If you go up a steep hill thats very long it could back into the turbo and blow out your seals. or if you go down hill...depending on if you route the return line to the fron or back...

·
turbo lexus pile
488 Posts
plus that kit is under warranty and all the parts are matched and solid name brands like tial hks and garrett etc.

·
SF Sexy Member
355 Posts
The HPF system look nice. I love the set-up.

When did came out? Very interesting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its been out for a while. There used to be long thread about that kit when it first came out. I still dont think that anyone has tried this kit out yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
u only have to drill one hole. ONLY one. its not that bad. just ask someone in ur area to drop buy and drill the hole for u. the rest is just bolt on.

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
If you are not mechanically inclined, the easiest thing you can do to go NA-T.... IS SELL YOUR CAR AND GET A TT. Cheaper, much easier, and WAY WAY more reliable.

-M

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98mkiv said:
If you are not mechanically inclined, the easiest thing you can do to go NA-T.... IS SELL YOUR CAR AND GET A TT. Cheaper, much easier, and WAY WAY more reliable.

-M
Why would you say that the TT is way way more reliable, I just want like 320hp out of a NA-T setup, I am not shooting for stars. Wouldnt a NA-T setup be reliable if you install and tune it properly, with only 320 hp to keep up with stock tts'?

What NA-T kit would you guy recommend for me just to get around 320 hp or maybe, Maybe, a little more that that like 350hp to sweep past a "stock" TT.??

·
Registered
476 Posts
xvietxboixtc said:
What do you guys think about the BL kit?
It's been covered many time. It's basically the best kit out on the market now, not the cheapest but one of the most reliable as well as good looking. If I could go back and buy me a kit again, I'll def. get BL, just cuz I can always go [email protected]

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
iirevolverii said:
Why would you say that the TT is way way more reliable, I just want like 320hp out of a NA-T setup, I am not shooting for stars. Wouldnt a NA-T setup be reliable if you install and tune it properly, with only 320 hp to keep up with stock tts'?

What NA-T kit would you guy recommend for me just to get around 320 hp or maybe, Maybe, a little more that that like 350hp to sweep past a "stock" TT.??
That "I just want 320hp" comment is a joke. You're going to throw on the turbo kit, go out and get smoked by anything and everything, then want more power. How many stock TT's do you see out there? Most TT's out there pack at least 350rwhp+ . The only guys you will be keeping up with are rice rockets and V6 mustangs.

Also, if you're worried about an oil line, DIY NA-T is not for you.

Basic kit + DIY w/o experience + No tuning/fuel management = Time bomb.

Do yourself a favor save up the money, pay someone competent with a great reputation to install it, and don't skimp on the kit. You will save yourself a lot of money and time in the long run.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
USMCSupra said:
That "I just want 320hp" comment is a joke. You're going to throw on the turbo kit, go out and get smoked by anything and everything, then want more power. How many stock TT's do you see out there? Most TT's out there pack at least 350rwhp+ . The only guys you will be keeping up with are rice rockets and V6 mustangs.

Also, if you're worried about an oil line, DIY NA-T is not for you.

Basic kit + DIY w/o experience + No tuning/fuel management = Time bomb.

Do yourself a favor save up the money, pay someone competent with a great reputation to install it, and don't skimp on the kit. You will save yourself a lot of money and time in the long run.
Well, where in the town or even the whole county I live in, a supra is like a farrarie to everyone. Everyone here asks me if it is a TT, but I hate saying no and that it is non turbo, so I want a tubo on it to make the car look good and aswell have a little bit better performance than a stock. My teacher and I are the only ones with a supra in my area. He has a 800hp race supra, he only uses it for the dragstrip, so I want to just have turbo charged street supra. I dont race alot, especially with my supra.

I am getting it installed by a shop near by. They are very excited to install it, hence that the supra is very rare in my area, but I am trying to figure out what will be easier and more reliable to do. drilling a hole?

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
First, you're the one saying you want to be able to beat Supra TT's out there. I'm just letting you know you probably won't be able to unless you find one bone stock... even then, it might be a challenge.

Second, NA-T's can be reliable, but you need all the supporting mods to do so. For example, you want to push ~350hp, you're going to need an upgraded fuel system.... gauges... engine management... good tuning. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
There is a drag strip like about an 1 or so away from here where my teacher races his supra, but he tells me that there a few NAs and couple TT out there, some modded, some just bone stock. He told me to come along with him, after I get my supra turbocharged.
The drag strip has a shop there where they do dyno tuning, I will be getting a map ecu for engine managment, and I will be upgrading my fuel pump and injectors, if I have to, I think, usually all turbo KITS come with fuel managment kit also, I THINK. I just want to get a very reliable kit that will supply me somewhere around 350hp. I am not shooting for stars here, just a little more power, and not to have a supra that is just NA.
I read BL kits are the best in the market now, is that somewhat true?

THanks for your help

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
They're all pretty nice kits. Just make sure you get all the accessories that are needed, not just what is essential to getting it up and running. You might want to get something for OBDII issues, or swap to an OBDI ecu as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why, what is wrong with OBDII's? That makes me worry a little bit.
ECU=OBD right. Or is OBD the diagnostic thing underneath the drivers side.?
I have a SAFCII connected to my ecu, I dont know if that will effect my future setup, from what i know, it will help me tune it a little bit till i get a engine managment.

THANK VERY MUCH FOR WASTING YOUR TIME TRYING TO HELP ME OUT

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
iirevolverii said:
Why, what is wrong with OBDII's? That makes me worry a little bit.
ECU=OBD right. Or is OBD the diagnostic thing underneath the drivers side.?
I have a SAFCII connected to my ecu, I dont know if that will effect my future setup, from what i know, it will help me tune it a little bit till i get a engine managment.

THANK VERY MUCH FOR WASTING YOUR TIME TRYING TO HELP ME OUT
If you search with the keyword 'relearning', you will find the answer you are looking for. Your questions have all been asked many times before. You will find that it is much easier, faster, and just plain more efficient to search for your answers rather than post a thread and wait for a response. If you are serious about turbo charging your naturally aspirated car, I would just take a few hours, sit down, and systematically browse this forum.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180314
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351991

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, i will read up more on it and research more tommorow, its getting late.

From what I glanced, I will need that $200 esc thing so that the ecu wont relearn and then my obdii will work perfectly with my future turbo and my safc and map ecu setup?

THankyou and Good night.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts