Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems not to many people cover this? I'm sure the legality has something to do with it.
CAN SINGLE TURBO CARS PASS Connecticut emissions? E-MAIL ME if you have this figured out. Also the steps involved to get a pass. Our state isn't as stringent as CAL.
I would like to know before spending the time and money. I don't want to pay anyone off either. Can we simply add a cat and tune to perfection and get bye..
Agbar technologies is our test company.
Please any reply would be helpful if you have a secret e-mail it. No, I can't go to another county and register the car this is a small state we only have a few counties.;)
PLEASE?

B

·
0 Posts
hey tom,

what single kit are you looking to go with?

if you put a cat on, and lean the safc out quite a bit you should pass. but there are other things, such as EGR which is normally removed which may be a problem. All depends on how strict they are... maybe they will pass you maybe not

C

·
0 Posts
If your car is OBDII then it will pass because all they do is the diagnostic check for error codes! Granted you need a fooler circuit if you have a DP and you need resistors in your solenoid connectors too.. OBDI, I have no clue!

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Chester,
Thanks, mines a 93.5 though? I knew the 1996 and up were taken off the ecu. I will figure something out....someone must have a midpipe that will handle the stock cats.
DE had one they stopped selling which sucks because I would have bought it.
again thanks...
Anyone else? I'm looking at SP kits. How about a different manifold...
OH, I'm trying like hell to get the car into the RARE category if I can I won't need the tests. Still waiting on an answer as to what rare pertains to...someone told me show cars and cars driven little.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
439 Posts
That's a great question and one I have been pondering much since I have started saving my nickels for a single kit. I have yet to hear from anyone why a single, with the EGR mod reversed, stock cats or hiflo, properly tuned would have trouble passing. What is different between a single and stock twins that would cause it to fail? I am considering OBDI cars. Mine is a 95

Does a wastegate dumping into air affect emissions at all? Or is tht just a noise thing?

What about modified fuel system? I cannot imagine that even this would impact emissions since this is designed to bring enough fuel to the party under high boost. Even then it's not dumping tons of fuel such that emissions would fail, esp if the car is properly tuned.

I dunno...anyone?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Eric is correct. It will pass as long as you put a cat back on and leave the EGR on the car. For OBDII cars you will have to use resistors in various places to keep codes from popping up. A good friend on the boards has done this with his 97 and passed with flying colors.

Kirk

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank YOU...... I'll have a pipe welded up to fit the cats some(effin) how. I'm using a hks type header so sounds like a challenge lies ahead.
Or using an aftermarket cat ....we will figure it out.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Hey Tom,
You should try contacting Al (Al98t) from xxtuning. He's from your home state and is running a SP71 i believe. Maybe he can give some tips on who to go to for passing emissions. Good luck and remember, you owe me a ride when your SP Kit goes in! ;)

-Phu

C

·
0 Posts
Eric95TT said:
That's a great question and one I have been pondering much since I have started saving my nickels for a single kit. I have yet to hear from anyone why a single, with the EGR mod reversed, stock cats or hiflo, properly tuned would have trouble passing. What is different between a single and stock twins that would cause it to fail? I am considering OBDI cars. Mine is a 95

Does a wastegate dumping into air affect emissions at all? Or is tht just a noise thing?

What about modified fuel system? I cannot imagine that even this would impact emissions since this is designed to bring enough fuel to the party under high boost. Even then it's not dumping tons of fuel such that emissions would fail, esp if the car is properly tuned.

I dunno...anyone?
Eric,
The open waste gate will not be reflected on the emissions but it is illegal for emission reasons! Simply put it bypasses the cat if you have one. But since they do not hook the dyno up and run positive boost during emissions it will not be a factor in the equation. Now if you got someone anal who did a complete visual inspection then you would be screwed.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Single

::MySTiK_[SuPRa]:: said:
Hey Tom,
You should try contacting Al (Al98t) from xxtuning. He's from your home state and is running a SP71 i believe. Maybe he can give some tips on who to go to for passing emissions. Good luck and remember, you owe me a ride when your SP Kit goes in! ;)

-Phu
Phu,

No problemo....if you never drove with me it might be an experience. I never see boost....:chicken: I only run in vacuum. My nickname is hoover. :D

Chester,
The wastegate actually is vented back into the exhaust on the SP manifold yes/no? Therefore would be running through my cats. The car needs to pass visual.. which only means cats. They run a mirror under there just to see if the car has one.
These dopie people in my opinion wouldn't no a wastegate from a juke box.;) If we used a regular STATE testing station (which was eliminated) maybe, thats a big maybe, they would notice.

I have two full years to figure this out. Bet your heiney I will. I just thought with all the brains on here someone would have invented a method already.:(

C

·
0 Posts
Re: Single

kaosv1 said:
Phu,

No problemo....if you never drove with me it might be an experience. I never see boost....:chicken: I only run in vacuum. My nickname is hoover. :D

Chester,
The wastegate actually is vented back into the exhaust on the SP manifold yes/no? Therefore would be running through my cats. The car needs to pass visual.. which only means cats. They run a mirror under there just to see if the car has one.
These dopie people in my opinion wouldn't no a wastegate from a juke box.;) If we used a regular STATE testing station (which was eliminated) maybe, thats a big maybe, they would notice.

I have two full years to figure this out. Bet your heiney I will. I just thought with all the brains on here someone would have invented a method already.:(
The only real thing to worry about is visual inspection or I know there is a trick with using BGK addative (for injectors but I heard it helps emmisions too). ALso, if you have a body kit and/or your car is lowered you may get a waiver, my friend did from only having his car lower than stock. He had a 95 and did not have to do emissions at all. If you have 2 yrs then you should definitely put on a DP if you do not already have one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You will have a problem with the visual inspection when they check the vacuum hoses against the diagram under your hood...out here is Cali. anyways. If you take off the diagram they can still bring it up electronically.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sleeper,
Here they don't go under your hood unless you fail and you end up with a DMV inspector. Thats a very unlikely scenario. If the car passes the under car visual they then test exhaust, pass that your good for two years.
Luckily they aren't like calif.
thanks for replying.

·
In The Sonoran Desert
439 Posts
wow, all we have is the mirror test and dyno under low load.

my corolla passed because their computer refused to boot up. They tried three times, it kept resetting, and finally they drove it off the dyno and gave me my pass slip

my wife's rs300 they took the $14, checked for the cat and let me drive on with a pass slip.

The SP does route the wastegate back into the downpipe. I am definitely going with them. I'm thinking SP63 with stock fuel first, then I'll upgrade fuel

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eric95,
Exactly....same here they don't look at much especially while they are busy. My only worry is in the beginning they are trying to be on best behavior seeing the last company was alittle dishonest.
After a couple years they will lax up. Typical .....The RS probably only needed a ECU(96 and up) check? We have a four year pass on all new vehicles. 2001-up no-testing.
Even though the SP pipe is vented back you still have to get creative. They are V-band correct. So you need to make the cats V-Band to connect. This is easy, just a little time consuming.
Its all for the money jerks anyway that run the state. Our polution blows in from the Ohio valley...always has...they just need more money to fund more programs that don't work.
Just ask CALI-FORN-NIA...lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts