Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm thinking of taking my stock head unit out and getting a single DIN MP3/CD player w/ Line-in for my iPod. I also want to know if anyone filled up the other DIN opening with any BPU electronics.

I was thinking something like this setup in a custom single DIN:
Boost Controller---Boost Gauge---Turbo Timer

An "- o -" look to it.

Does anyone have pics of this setup and if this is possible? Where I can get my hands on an enclosure like this? Where'd you mount your iPod?

Oh and post the pics of your dash/console/glove box setups if you have 'em!!!!

·
FUCK JDM
3,933 Posts
a boost guage in the single din area? thats strange

you can mount ur turbo timer in where your TC button is, just gotta cut the right size... depending on what EBC you plan on using you can put that right underneath your radio

·
1 ur Mom warned U about
656 Posts
I will be hard to keep track of your boost with the boost gauge down there. I would say a Boost controller and Turbo Timer there would be fine. Depends what kind of Boost Controller and Timer you going with actually.

Oh TC = Traction Control

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking profec b II, or sbc id 3, or evc ez II for boost controller. and for turbo timer, the hks type 1 looks cool. whatever i choose, i want it to be consistent (all one brand, matching colors), any ideas/recommendations?

anyone do custom mounting work?

·
1,026 Posts
I would say get the electronics you want and then go to a local stereo shop and have them make you one :)

Here is a pic of a din like you are talking about in a 300zx :

and here is one in a MKIII I believe:
http://www.ma70.com/bishop/pics/timerv.jpg

Hope this helps :)
Later, Garon

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
i have an avc-r flush mounted into the single din space above my cd player. works quite nicely, and surprisingly, easy to see.

·
Registered
70 Posts
nice pics, thats what i'm talking about! anyone got more???

i think the boost controller in the din opening would be perfect to use b/c it's closer to the shifter, and you could adjust it very quickly...

i'm thinking i may get a manual controller, i've heard the boost doesn't spike...any advantages to going electronic other than it looks cool?

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kale your dash looks glossy, did you do anything to it?

where did you mount your other stuff?

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
actually the dash is VERY dirty in that picture, but no, i didn't do anything to it. must be the light reflecting off all the dust. :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
kale said:
actually the dash is VERY dirty in that picture, but no, i didn't do anything to it. must be the light reflecting off all the dust. :)
Did you fabricate that yourself? Where'd you get it!?
I'm interested in one of those too! :D

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
it actually came with the car like that, but looks very easy to do. there is a small bracket that the avcr attatches to that lets it rest in the stock din location, and then there are 2 pieces of plastic cut to fit in the sides which are glued in place on the dash.

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what kind of gauges are those?

if you had to pick only 3 gauges to have what would they be

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
KReddy05 said:
what kind of gauges are those?

if you had to pick only 3 gauges to have what would they be
Those are TRD gauges.

Your question is a little ambiguous, as I don't know know if you mean what 3 brands of gauges, or specifically, what 3 gauges.... Assuming the first, I would go w/ mine :), defi, or HKS or the Apexi EL, or Blitz DL (i think) series. You can't go wrong w/ any of those, but you will pay for them. A very nice looking gauge for about 1/2 the cost are the basic greddy gauges. I would personally stay away from autometer.

If you meant the latter, it totally depends on your setup and what you want out of it. I chose boost and oil pressure. The oil pressure was probably a little superfluous, but TRD doesn't offer a huge variety. If I were to install another gauge, I would put in a fuel pressure, for possible future single install or nitrous upgrades. I think exhaust gas are becoming outdated and most people don't know how to read them well enough w/out compromising the safety of their engine... that being said the new wave is the air/fuel gauges. Some are more expensive, but I believe greddy is offering one for around $300-400 w/ a "decent" o2 sensor, but still not near the quality you are going to get w/ an AEM or FJO sensor.

Sorry for the epic!

-Justin :)

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
epic was WELL appreciated!

i want gauges that match the stock backlighting and have fonts similar to the stock ones...

any ideas?

·
Useless Member
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thost gauges are awesome man (the trd ones)

i want those! i want the boost, but they don't have egt or fuel pressure! do your needles light up green?

kale your fuel pressure gauge looks cool also, what kind is it??? do they make a boost gauge as well? i love what you did w/ the fjo display, can you make me one? lol , i am horrible at fabricating my own shit...

lmk guys, i gotta decide what to get...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts