Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did some tuning on 18psi w/ pump gas (AEM) and decided to race my friend's suzuki gsx-r 600 to have a comparison. We went from about 40mph to 120mph, I started off in 2nd gear. The entire race we were dead even, with the gsx-r pulling every time I shifted and me pulling a little every time the bike shifted. Towards top end I started to pull slightly...

I'm pretty suprised I did so well considering my timing was conservative. I'm running a t67 w/ HKS 264 cams... Sound about right for 18psi and pump gas?

·
Invert.
257 Posts
Sounds like a great race. I had no idea those 600's were so fast. I was lookin at getting one but had no idea it could keep up with a single supra! Have you dynoed with this configuration?

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.. Anyone know what the trap speed is on a stock gsx-r? I was told high 120's to low 130s. That isn't exactly slow... and a single supra on pump gas is fairly limited, I'd estimate I am around 500rwhp.

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on the turbo. I've seen 600rwhp on pump gas before with a large enough turbo and a built motor..

Most mid-sized turbo supras are limited to 550rwhp on pump I'd say...

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
Reactions: ma71supraturbo

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice vid.. the bikes walked that supra pretty good but it seemed to be keeping up. I checked the logs and my timing was retarded too much, which is why my EGT's climbed to almost 1300F. Today I increased the timing a little and the car pulls a little harder and EGTs stay nice and cool WOT, just where I like them.

I was trapping 124mph on 16psi before cams and the AEM... so I should be getting close to 130mph when tuned for pump and 18psi.

·
Registered
225 Posts
mav7 said:
Did some tuning on 18psi w/ pump gas (AEM) and decided to race my friend's suzuki gsx-r 600 to have a comparison. We went from about 40mph to 120mph, I started off in 2nd gear. The entire race we were dead even, with the gsx-r pulling every time I shifted and me pulling a little every time the bike shifted. Towards top end I started to pull slightly...

I'm pretty suprised I did so well considering my timing was conservative. I'm running a t67 w/ HKS 264 cams... Sound about right for 18psi and pump gas?

Comming from a Busa owner, Id say that's pretty impressive. People under estimate the power and quickness of the 600s. It's not the power per se, but the power to weight ratio of these bikes. They are feather light, and they have the power of the earlier 1000s. I had a 1989 Katana 1100, it had 125HP and I would trap at 126MPH @ 10.6 - 10.7 and it weighed 540 LBS. The 600s have the same HP and they are in the 300+LBS range, so They are Lightning quick. You got a damn fast car fella, Id be proud of it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
mav7 said:
No.. Anyone know what the trap speed is on a stock gsx-r? I was told high 120's to low 130s. That isn't exactly slow... and a single supra on pump gas is fairly limited, I'd estimate I am around 500rwhp.

I dont know the exact trap speed of the gsx-r 600, but I will find it for you and post it here. Like my post above states, The stock Katana 1100 professional time was 10.6 @ 127MPH. Not suggesting Im a professional by any means, I just got lucky I guess. My best time was 10.6 @ 126MPh. Im going to guess the new 600s can trap at 130-135ish in the low 10s, 10.2-10.3.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok, Im having trouble finding the statistics on the 600... I think I stand corrected, it's in the 100hp range, but there still fast as hell. I'll try to find more information for those that want to know. Im getting off of work now, so I will psot tonight! Peace out. T

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the information. I looked for like 20 minutes and couldnt find any stock 1/4 times on the gsx-r 600... But my friend stated it's in the high 120s/low 130s. Before the race we both agreed that I'd walk the bike by a good amount... but now that I think of it, low boost and pump gas should be good for around 129mph traps or so. Before at the track, I trapped 124mph on pump & 16psi (without the aem, cams, and ignition). Turned the boost up to around 20psi and trapped 128mph. So it looks like 50 more HP gave me 4-5mph faster trap speeds... I want to take the car to the track once I perfect the tune a bit... just going to do a low boost run on drag radials and see what times I can run compared to the old setup...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Im interested in how it turns out for you.... Where can I find Pics of your car?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sweet looking car man,,,, Love the color. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts