Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading to the airport for a flight and as I'm getting closer to the toll booth area I see a black CLS55 AMG pass me on the left heading for the turnaround "u" to go back north. I had a little extra time to kill before my plane left so I followed him and ended up in front of him at the stop sign. The road dumps out immediately into oncoming traffic, and there are 7 lanes merging down to 3. I eased out and allowed a truck to pass me by (traffic was fairly light and I wanted to allow room for a little tussle with the Benz), but apparently he was impatient and wanted to show me what his Benz could do so he pulls out on my left and nails it. I heard his tires bark and that was my que to nail it as well. He was 3 to 3.5 cars ahead when I hit full boost (18 psi on 93 octane) and by 100 mph or so (I never looked at the speedometer; just a guess) I had to let off so I didn't rear-end him. I made sure he got a real good look at my car sitting on his bumper while he was at full tilt before I let off the gas.

My mods are GTR70 turbo with stock longblock (no cams) on 18 psi with 93 octane. I have a 3,800 stall tc and a BL built tranny.

The "55" series AMG owners usually want to race around here and this was my 2nd Benz kill in recent weeks. Wish I could have shown him what my car can do at 2 bar.

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
Good kill. I recently killed an SL55 while on 14psi. He tried to do a fly-by but that wasn't happening. From the next light I let him get the jump and walked him badly. He wouldn't look over so I could give the :nono: . He then speeds away to assert what is left of his dignity and almost mows down some people crossing the street. I'm sure you pulled on him big time since you have more turbo and were on more boost. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Good kill, we often hear about how strong those AMG's are. I have yet to mess with one on the street (I'm just BPU) but it would be interesting and maybe set me straight ;) ......

I don't know what to make of this "related" experience I had, but last year at Pocono for one of those HPDE's we were running the East Course and there were three or four Mercedes 55 series AMG cars there with a handful of MB factory guys and they had a few fully suited drivers who you would think would be "good drivers". I heard they were doing some filming for a commercial or something, not sure. Anyway, they were all proudly showing off the cars ...and they are gorgeous. My buddy was there that day too, he owns two SL600's and being a good MB customer they were trying to talk him into an AMG. So about mid day they all came out in my advanced group and were blasting around pretty good, so I was anxious to come around near them so I can see first hand what's what. I was moving along passing some cars and found myself right behind two of the AMG cars, I follow along we are all driving pretty hard but I'm feeling like they are not moving like I expected. So several seconds later, we come to a sharp right hand near-hairpin turn and coming out of that I decide to go for it, I'm right on his ass pressuring him and the first one sort of bobbles it and momentarily looses traction so I blow past him, swoop on the next one in front of him and before we got to the end of that short inside straight they were both eating my dust :) So admittedly, this was on a roadcourse and not just a straight line highway pull and they are heavy fat pigs even more so than a Supra, but whenever I hear about AMG kills I can't help but remember that day.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Good to know that a Supra can keep up with the big dawg. A friend just picked up a 2003 SL 55 AMG for big $. I'm going to ask if he want to run againt my '97 Single.

·
I love sequentials!
2,578 Posts
That was a retarded post asshole

-Signed an mk4 owner

Vilhelm said:
Nice kills guys :)

Evolution, but it's still a MK3 how-ever fast it may be.

·
900 BHP Club :)
4,934 Posts
Nice one!

Good thing he didn't slam his brakes :biggrin:

·
Registered
658 Posts
i've got a 2006 cls55 amg

i've taken a bpu+ 6 spd supra from a roll bad... my car hooks hard as fuck so i know i would have got him out of the whole and top end...who knows??

i also beat a t62 single turbo supra on race gas from a light to light.. he was on street tires and never hooked ahahah

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Gorgeous car, congrats, and I have no doubt in your report.

but it's sad ...Supras with traction problems give us a bad reputation and it seems that is very common. Like I said, I've not encountered a 55 amg on the street yet, but perhaps it will help me that I NEVER have a traction problem of any kind lateral or straight line but I do have well tuned Racelogic TC and run R compound Pirelli Corsas as my street tires.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe the traction issues story too. Before I put my BFG's on I ran a 55 AMG from a stop. I had to get off the throttle twice due to traction and "back-end swing" and didn't pass him until about 90 mph. Big turbo power on street tires is a no/no except from a roll-on. Gotta have the right tires. Otherwise, I guess you could start out at like 15 psi and then turn up the boost as traction allows.

DrMike - yeah, I figured he wouldn't tap the brakes and risk his $100,000 car. I should be more careful though!

BTW - I played with an SL600 on the way home from work. V12 engine. Honestly, he seemed just as fast as the 55 AMG, but we never got a good comparative run.

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
3,413 Posts
Beau what BFGs do you have? I put 335 BFG Drag radials on the vette and I lost all stability on the highway

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 18/295 I think. They are the standard BFG Drag Radials that all the Supra guys use on the stock 17" wheels, except that now them make them in an 18" size. My car is completely stable at high speeds and I've never had any issues (except when I get caught in the rain).

·
VPC Power
1,957 Posts
I had traction issues when I raced the 55. I run 19's so I don't expect to hook anyway but I had no problems passing him at around 50 or 60mph.

Fencekey-- How do you like the 70 I spoke to a friend of yours who was driving the car at TX2k6 and he didn't have much info on the car, but ran some good times on the track. I currently have a 67 and was thinking about stepping it up a bit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
C5 4 NOW said:
I had traction issues when I raced the 55. I run 19's so I don't expect to hook anyway but I had no problems passing him at around 50 or 60mph.

Fencekey-- How do you like the 70 I spoke to a friend of yours who was driving the car at TX2k6 and he didn't have much info on the car, but ran some good times on the track. I currently have a 67 and was thinking about stepping it up a bit.

Personally, I love it. I upgraded from a Greddy T78, so it make more power and spools faster. I'm dropping in some cams pretty soon and we'll see what she can do.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I never run into renegade AMG Benz owners willing to race a Supra (or anything), usually just geezers. :rolleyes: I do know that they use what they have very well.

As for traction, as long as the weather is warm, I never have big traction issues on the street with 295/35-18 Kumho MXs (although I do intend to eventually get 315/35-17s for good measure). I can make very good use of HP in the 600s with a little driving technique no problem, gotta love nailing 3rd and 4th at high boost with great traction. :coold: I will say this, on street tires, regardless of what boost I use, my G-Tech 0-60 mph is always similar, around 4.2 to 4.5 sec, but the accel from 60 up gets way better with higher boost of course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts