Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after owning my TT for about 11 years I'm running out of good sets of twins to
replace mine as they fail. :(

Looking into going single now....ARGH

I want to keep the responsiveness of the twins. I've been happy with my 400whp
for over 200k miles and I'm notchasing hi HP numbers. 500whp max is what my
tranny will prolly take anyway.

My wife's Supra has a SP61 journal bearing and we can't stand the lag. It's like
driving an NA around in this stop and go traffic.

What are you auto guys running that has quick spool or low lag like the twins?
A friend has a BW S400SX with the 67mm option from his s2k he'd give me for
$400 but I think that will be too laggy for me.

Not looking to upgrade anything else just replace my blown twins at this time.

My mods are.

Stock fuel
VPC/SAFC
HKS Type-R FMIC
UR cam gears
trans cooler
bcc
AEM WB

I've searched and all the info out there is out of date. What are the choice for today's crop of turbos?

Are the PTE turbos still worth it? 6262?
how abt BW turbos?
BB versus JB? Can a JB turbo still have quick spool at low RPMs?
what housing?
So quick spool valve worth it?
What housing .61 to .81a/r?

Any useful info would be greatly appreciated. I never did like searching for turbos ...Another
reason why I always stayed twin !!!

Thanks

B

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
If you want reliability and PTE performance, GTW from Garret. BW is a very solid performer, and have shown to be very reliable.

PTE 6062, 6262 is still a great choice, and relatively inexpensive in JB form.

Much better than the SP61 older technology, respectively.

BB vs JB is up to you, as most of the benefits IMO are transitions back into boost.

The QSV has shown gains, if you think it's worth it.

It may be possible a .61 housing can make 500whp, but I would not recommend anything less than a .81 on any of your choices.

Keeping the stock twins, seems the only real way to satisfy your goals (fast spool up), as you have stated.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Buy a stall, no single turbo is going to give you what you want.

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
C'mon Jason !!! Something has got to be comparable to the twins with no tranny mods !!! A 57mm dbb ? I don't mind being in boost at 60mph. The twins do that anyway. :)

I just like brake boosting @ 19psi, and leaving all these newer cars at the line !!! Most give up after I leave em. I need some more twins in my life. :(
What if I get a log manifold instead of the tubular one i have now?

I'm home for 4 weeks, got the money, and wanna drive my Supra before I head back to Hawaii. This James Bond smoke screen gotta go !!!

B

·
Registered
945 Posts
I am sure you have considered this...but why not just have your turbos rebuilt?

BNR is about $1300 I believe, cheaper then converting to single and keeps you on twins...get a little extra power too

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
VVT-i will make it spool a lot faster. I would go that route, but you will need a standalone.

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VVT-i will make it spool a lot faster. I would go that route, but you will need a standalone.

Really guy !?! And how is that gonna fix my blown turbos?!? I asked for turbo selection not what amounts to an engine swap. LOL

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure you have considered this...but why not just have your turbos rebuilt?

BNR is about $1300 I believe, cheaper then converting to single and keeps you on twins...get a little extra power too
USDM twins are $3300 to rebuild. JDM are $1300. I have a manifold Tial WG and piping...so single would be cheaper.

·
Registered
945 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd suggest a cast manifold with a BW S360 and a QSV - you may even get away with the stock stall with that. It'll give you lots of low down grunt and will break in to the 500rwhp with ease.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
You would be surprised what you can get out of a smaller turbo. By that, I mean minimal lag and plenty of power.
I had my SP57 replaced with a Precision Turbo 5558 about 6-8 months ago and it is great.
Jeremy (SpeedForSale) tuned it to 471 rwhp at 15.5 psi, because I indicated I wanted to keep it below 500. It would definitely make more.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
USDM twins are $3300 to rebuild. JDM are $1300. I have a manifold Tial WG and piping...so single would be cheaper.
I would run a Borg Warner EFR 7163! I'd be tempted to cut off the external wastegate, weld it up and run the internal wastegate version, but if you don't want to do that then just run the .85 V-band external gate option. The 7163 is a 57mm with loads of amazing features to name a few:

Mixed Flow Gamma-Ti turbine wheel
Forged milled extended tip compressor wheel
Dual ceramic ball bearing
Stainless steel turbine housing
Water cooled light-weight Aluminum bearing housing
Integrated BOV
Boost control solenoid valve

https://flic.kr/p/C9eeck https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
https://flic.kr/p/Ced2n5 https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Casey

·
Blue Thunder
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now these are some informative posts !!! Silver Supra are you on stock stall as well? Are you running cast or tubular mani?

Casey James. Do you have any exp with that BW turbo? sounds interesting !!!

I just went through my stash of twins and they all have issues that I wouldn't care to deal with right now. So I guess I'm going single.

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
I have not ran mine yet, they're sitting on my self looking good! I am assembling the motor this week and next. Eric at twins turbo and Mark Tozer have cars with them running right now in twin applications. I would really consider the 7163 in a single for one its a 57mm and we all know that range of turbo does fantastically well. Two, it's an amazing technical marval in itself and would give far better response and overall performance than what we are used to seeing in this range. Third, you will probably be the first to do it?:lol:

Your three choices are T4 .80 IWG, .85 V-band IWG and .85 EWG. So whatever would be easier to do with the manifold you have.

Casey

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
Now these are some informative posts !!! Silver Supra are you on stock stall as well? Are you running cast or tubular mani?

Casey James. Do you have any exp with that BW turbo? sounds interesting !!!

I just went through my stash of twins and they all have issues that I wouldn't care to deal with right now. So I guess I'm going single.
stock stall and cast manifold. I loved the sequential operation and finally went single quite a few years ago when we could not keep sequential operating well. The SP 57 was OK at the time but this new 55 is night and day different.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
stock stall and cast manifold. I loved the sequential operation and finally went single quite a few years ago when we could not keep sequential operating well. The SP 57 was OK at the time but this new 55 is night and day different.
Do you by chance have a dyno printout for the 55?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I know it is older tech but, I have a low mile SP57 available and it would be a fraction of what these newer turbos are.

PM if interested.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Really guy !?! And how is that gonna fix my blown turbos?!? I asked for turbo selection not what amounts to an engine swap. LOL
Yes - if you don't like the spool of a 61 you won't be happy with most of the single turbos off boost. VVT-i will improve the torque off boost by a very noticeable amount and make it spool scary fast when tuned properly on a small single. You will spend some money, but I promise it will make you smile.

Don't take my word for it check out some VVT-i dynos and then make a budget. You won't be the first to ditch the stock or upgraded twins for a single.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts