Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using a single turbo on a racetrack? If so, which turbo, and how difficult is managing power delivery on corner exits compared to a BPU car if you had one before going single?

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
It seems you're asking about road racing, but your question simply says "track use".

My turbo (SP60 .58 A/R) is intended for just this type of use. You definitely have to balance how much lag you want with how much straightline speed you want to achieve.

Although I haven't had my car on the road course yet, I can tell you that it will be pretty well planted exiting corners assuming dry conditions. It is laggy enough that you have to be careful not to swap ends in tight situations but not too laggy to take you by surprise. The former owner (Ron T.) used to road race quite a bit, and the turbo was selected specifically because of these characteristics.

Single turbos are all about trade offs. Do you want it to be responsive or really powerful. A T-66/SP-66 size is probably the ideal compromise overall, but if responsiveness is what you want (meaning incredibly low lag), go with a TS04. It has as little lag as any turbo I know of for the MKIV. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Steve Theodore:
<STRONG>It seems you're asking about road racing, but your question simply says "track use".

</STRONG>
The things with no corners are dragstrips, not racetracks. :) Thanks for the input on turbos. I've been thinking that a turbo in the T61/SP63 range would probably be a good compromise. Something like a T78 looks like it would be a handful since it gains about 300 ft/lbs. of torque in under 500 rpms, which would be challenging to control mid-corner. The nicest looking (for racetrack use) dyno chart I've seen is Jeff Hood's PHR turbo. Nice relatively linear power increase rather than a near vertical increase in torque when it spools up. There are so few mkivs that see track use, much less single turbo cars that see track use, that I haven't heard much first hand feedback other than talking to the guy who drove Reg's car in One Lap last year.

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Eric:
<STRONG>Anybody using a single turbo on a racetrack? If so, which turbo, and how difficult is managing power delivery on corner exits compared to a BPU car if you had one before going single?</STRONG>
You just want to beat V8Venom, don't you. ;)

I know a guy who regularly track's a black Rx7 with a single Turbo. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of Turbo he uses, but I thought about the same turbo upgrade issues that you've already brought up.

Maybe you've seen him during your track travels. Nice guy. Indian. About 40yr. Big bushy moustach. Slender. Can't remember his name for the life of me. Bumped into him a number of times at the track. Last I heard, he's had a boost leak he couldn't cure. I think he ran about 20-25 psi, but I'm not sure. As you can see, he runs the same wheels as you.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: LeeDarzycki ]

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LeeDarzycki:
<STRONG>You just want to beat V8Venom, don't you. ;)
</STRONG>

I should be able to beat him now. He's just an awesome driver. If anybody wants to see "exhibit A" of the car is more important than the driver, he's it. 2:06s at Thunderhill with the cyclone are just mind boggling. A 2:10 will beat 99.5% of street driven cars. He's the only guy that has passed me in a street driven car when I've been trying for awhile.

<STRONG>
I know a guy who regularly track's a black Rx7 with a single Turbo. Unfortunately, I don't know what kind of Turbo he uses, but I thought about the same turbo upgrade issues that you've already brought up.

Maybe you've seen him during your track travels. Nice guy. Indian. About 40yr. Big bushy moustach. Slender. Can't remember his name for the life of me. Bumped into him a number of times at the track. Last I heard, he's had a boost leak he couldn't cure. I think he ran about 20-25 psi, but I'm not sure. As you can see, he runs the same wheels as you.
[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: LeeDarzycki ]</STRONG>
Never seen him. I'll keep an eye out for him. There was a guy with a black Supra who said he had a T78 at that Open Track event at Buttonwillow back in April(?) that we went to, but nobody ever saw him again after registration. I had hoped to get a ride with him. Unless my stock turbos go south, I probably won't be getting a single anytime soon. I was curious more than anything else.

Are you and Bill going to run any more events this year? I'm trying to figure out which events I'm doing later this year.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]

N

·
0 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooo Steve Theodore sold his Sup, that was like my dram car.

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Eric:
<STRONG>Are you and Bill going to run any more events this year? I'm trying to figure out which events I'm doing later this year.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Eric ]</STRONG>
Ya definately. There is a ton of interest from the Club for another event. There are a number of Southern Cal Z owners that are interested in going too. We almost reserved a date, but things got busy in our personal lives and it has sat on the table. I've been in Taiwan for the past 2 months working 12-14 hour days. Left go here on the monday after the Buttonwillow weekend where I saw you.
Things have slowed down now, and just this weekend, about 6 of the 300ZX guys drove up to Thunderhill for a Street School Saturday. The track bug is building again.

The biggest problem that we ran into was schedualling. 3 months ago, we found Thunderhill and Buttonwillow booked for all of most(if not all of)August, all of October, and all of November. When I mean all of, I mean Friday, weekend, Monday, booked. We were looking at Streets of Willows, but that's far.

We'll see. I'll definately let you know if when we do it again. It was great to have you join us.

Cheers,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts