Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
September 22 - Scenic Drive: Mt Charleston

Spnosored By: SupraStore.com

Mt Charleston - Meet at the Excalibur Parking area 9:30am, Check in and grab your shirt and registration confirmation and prepare for the Scenic drive. Departure time will be about 11:30 am

SIV 2016 will be driving up to Mt Charleston, for this years Scenic Drive. This will be a bit longer of a drive, but it will be an awesome drive through the windy roads up to Mt Charleston.

We have reserved the entire Picnic Area at the top and will cap the drive off with a BBQ for all.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hoping to make it there this year with my 5yr old son and our new 1991 supra with a 2jzgte vvti swap really stoked lol
I wish my dad was as cool as you. After my parents got together, all I got to ride around in was the back seat of a truck. This wasn't like the modern trucks either, this was back when that was basically a penalty box haha!

Anyway, Miguel, got the email with a bit more details. Mt Charleston? Can't say I've ever been there, what do we have to look forward to?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mt Charleston is in North West Vegas, it will be a long Canyon drive capped off by a BBQ at the top.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Just read about Arthur St.Antoine, an editor of Automobile, taking a friend on a drive in that area. The car? His friend's lime green Lambo Hurracan. Apparently made the guy puke since he wasn't used to being driven like that haha.

Sounds like I'm gonna enjoy myself. :)

Food provided, or is this a BYOBBQ?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burgers and Hot Dogs will be provided, you are welcome to bring more food to grill

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Wow, that's somewhat of a haul :p And lengthy single file.
I'm kinda surprised it's not the Dam again!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BLK, just did the drive a couple of weeks ago in my Hyundai, not bad at all. Plus long line = great pics.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
And you didn't come visit me?!? :p

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was passing through into St George to coach a Rugby tournament for my team

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hgonzalez updated it on this page as well. thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
So, when might the scenic drive wrap up then? Just found out that Megadeth is going to be playing somewhere in Vegas that evening. Saw them 15 years ago, they put on a hell of a good show...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We should be arriving around 1:30 pm, food will start cooking at that point, 4 should be safe

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hmm, may be able to make both... will have to look into that plan a little. Thanks Miguel!

We don't get too many concerts where I'm from...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Te72, if you need to jam a bit early no prob, it is Megadeath

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Couple recommendations here. Understandable if it's too late to implement them now, not sure if I mentioned them last year or not...

-Rather than meeting up and trying to roll out in a large group of groups from the hotel and the strip, why not have a meeting place that is away from the last traffic light in town, THEN roll to our destination as a large group? Literally every single year, I see people who have trouble with their car, then people stop to help (because they're awesome like that), people who would rather haul ass and have fun (not that I blame them, but traffic...), and the groups getting separated by traffic lights. Happens every single year. However, a rendezvous point and roll out time (both from hotel and gathering point) would alleviate a lot of these issues.

-Radios. Not sure if any of us have or use them, but radios for the people at the front and back of the groups would be nice. That way if we have stragglers, accidents or other delays to deal with, reasons to be extra careful such as debris in the road or Johnny Law, etc... we could make the rest of the group aware. As is, I feel like we're all fish swimming toward the same destination, but often going about getting there in quite the variety of ways.

Not trying to criticize how things are currently run, as I'm sure it is a lot of work even as is, but trying to come up with ways to improve the process for everybody. :)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Te72 you are ahead of the game haha. The itinerary's will go out this week, we will be leaving the hotel and re-grouping at a Lowes right down the street from the entrance to MT Charleston. So we should all be together for the second half of the drive.

The details will be on the itinerary, but it is pretty much what you described.

We can work on the radios, but no guarantees as I am not sure how many people have them.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Perfect Miguel... I think we tried to do something similar last year, meeting up out in the national park there before the dam, but I completely missed the turn. That's on me haha. Hopefully I won't be able to miss a Lowes. :p

Radios, I bring up because I took part in a World Class Driving tour (look them up if you ever wanna drive an exotic in the real world), and we all had radios in the cars. Made communication a LOT easier than relying on cell phones. That guy out front often has the best vantage of the road ahead, after all... I intend to get radio equipped eventually, but ran out of time and budget this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts