Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE to order new tires for next spring so i might as well do it now. I'm running on MK4 17" TT wheels currently on 255/40/17 on the back and 235/45/17 on the fronts. Now, what sizes do you think i should go with?? i was thinking 275/40/17 back, 245/40/17 fronts. Or should i go with the same aspect ration that originally came off the fronts, which is a 45?? Is there a reason why they are 45 on the front and 40 in the rear???/

Thanks, Derek

·
Registered
192 Posts
well the 40 and 45 that you speak of is actually a ration of the tire width. All it is is the % of the width which is the sidewall. for example: A sidewall of a 245/45-17 is actually 45% of the width, which is 245, so a 275/40-17 is only 40% of the width but about the same size sidewall because of less % of the width.

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh i know all that.............i just wanted to know if i should go with 40s all around or go with 45 in the front and 40 in the rear, cause that is how it is right now.

·
Registered
451 Posts
you will end up with the front and rear tires being different diameters.
that might screw you up. It would suck to lower the car only to fine out the front tires are higher than the rear and the thing looks and handles like crap. I would check diameter size to make sure the front and rear are close.

Just what I would do.

Steve

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
I run 245/40 fronts and 275/40 rears right now. What you will find out there is that the OD on the 40 fronts is just a hare shorter than the OD of the rears, and the 45 series tires are a hare taller. I chose the 40 fronts because i chose to have a shorter tire in the front. Truthfully it's not really noticeable. If you want a better choice, run the 245/45's front and 285/40 rears. That's a perfect match and you can run them no problems on the car.

- hams

1 - 5 of 5 Posts