Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on the Prelude board.

When I shift sometimes, I go from 1st to 3rd and 3rd to 5th sometimes.

Is this actually bad on the car due to the extra load from being at lower rpms?

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
No, and it can save on gas due to the larger throttle opening which means lower pumping loss through the engine. Might also save a bit of clutch and synchro wear as well, since you are making fewer shifts.

I have done this for many years on all my manual shift cars.

·
D u a l s t a r
534 Posts
Lagtime said:
No, and it can save on gas due to the larger throttle opening which means lower pumping loss through the engine. Might also save a bit of clutch and synchro wear as well, since you are making fewer shifts.

I have done this for many years on all my manual shift cars.
And if you really want to make your transmition last, just do the old first to sixth shift. But really you shouldn't have any problem as long as you aren't putting too much stress on the motor. If you are driving leasurly this is a-okay. If you are going for a new world speed record then you should be hitting each and every gear.

·
Very Senior Member
9,953 Posts
badmuthrfkr said:
Saw this on the Prelude board.

When I shift sometimes, I go from 1st to 3rd and 3rd to 5th sometimes.

Is this actually bad on the car due to the extra load from being at lower rpms?
When I drive my truck, I usually skip some gears. It's just easier and less wear and tear.

Now in my auto Supra, I usually hit all 4 of them!!:cool: :cool: :D

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
Ive always heard that it is bad over time on the clutch and synchros but that it isnt a major deal so its ok to do.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gritsak said:
hua-

sweet sig, but where am i at?! lol...we will have to get a pic at the supra meet of all the ohio supras together, that would be kool
I've seen your car on two occasions Andy, and both times, you weren't with the car. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts