Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra, but bad block(#3, 4, and 5 pistons melted to block) and i was wondering if there is any reason in keeping it, or trying to build it to eventually replace the one i have in the car. If there is any good in it(there are no holes in the block) i would like to fully build the block top to bottom with forge internals, new crank, etc... Can i get just sleeves to go in the block, and if so, from where. thanks in advance

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
People dont usually resleeve our blocks, you can actually get the cast iron block boared out to as much as .6 over. That will me more then enough clear the gashes caused by the damadged pistons.

Kruso

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they would pretty much have to bore the whole cylinders out again, because when i say they are melted to the block, they are melted to the block. I put some penetrating oil on top of the three cylinders that were seized and none came to the bottom. They are sealed tight. Do you think it is worth keeping?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help guys, i'll try to scavenge as much as i can off of the block, and then send it down the road. atleast i will have a little more room to walk around my supe in the garage now. thanks again

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
Lol, yeeeeeah, would definitely need that zero behind the six!

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Largest pistons I know of are 85.5mm diameter.
If the pistons are melted/Skuffed, just get a large hammer, like a sledge hammer, and use the handle to tap them out of the engine.
Another way is to set the block up off the floor so the rods will fall down without hitting anything. (Not too high, you don't want to ruin the rods.)
Then take a sturdy 2x4, I've found pallets have mahogany many times, and that holds up to hammering on it better than yellow pine for example.
place the 2x4 into the bore, and then CAREFULLY hit the end. Don't hit the block deck with the hammer. (Best choice is reversed sledge hammer, the handle will hold up fine, and the extra weight of the 12lb hammer really knocks the pistons loose quick.)
Remember, you can't really bond alluminum and iron very well, so once you break them free, they should come out pretty easy.
I just hate to see a good block get scrapped. Hit from both sides a few times, it should break the pistons free.
Good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adjuster; i started taking that block apart today, so i may do what you are talking about. i started taking the bottom end apart and the crank, bearings, connecting rods and everything else in the bottom of the engine looks fine. Looks like to me that the previous owner of the car had a severe bhg on the highway and didn't know it until they stopped the car. then the engine siezed. i'll keep tearing it down, and we'll see. thanks for everyone's input

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
nooooooooo dont junk it! do what im doing with my block i put a hole through....strip it bare...prime it...paint it color of choice...buy a nice size pice of plexiglass from like home depot...and make a coffee table! pics to come! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts