Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 MKII. I have had my car for about 3 months and just about 3 days ago as im shifting into third gear, the tranny slipped. It only happens when im driving it hard. I have a couple of questions. I know theres a leak in the clutch master cylinder lines and my clutch is going. Is there any explaination or could anything be tied together. And also, if my tranny needs to be replaced where could i get another one. Thanks -Rich-

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That;s what I'm unclear about. I don't really have a problem engaging in a gear(aside from wearing clutch). Even if im in third or fourth and punch it. The tach goes up to like 5500 real quick then drops down even as im a wot. This is my first manual. I should have asked this in my first post but can a bad clutch cause a tranny to slip like that even when im already in gear? Thanks for your help -Rich-

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
The clutch disc is responsible for transferring power to the wheels. When it wears, it slips and you experience the rpm increase that you describe.

You need to replace the clutch. There's nothing wrong with the tranny, and the master and slave cylinders aren't in the equation at all either.

If you need an explaination of how a clutch works go to www.howstuffworks.com -- very good explaination there.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, appreciate the help. ;) Does anybody know the cost of repairing the aforementioned leaky hydraulic clutch lines? Is it a do it yourself job?

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
82MKIISupra-L said:
Does anybody know the cost of repairing the aforementioned leaky hydraulic clutch lines? Is it a do it yourself job?
Is it the lines that are leaking, or the connection to the clutch master, or the clutch master itself?

Clutch master is $29 at Napa.

Connection to clutch master is likely fixable with teflon tape.

Lines leaking -- unlikely.

Hope that helps.

T

·
0 Posts
OT: Clutchs

So maybe this is whats going on with my GF's '83 Corolla SR5?
With our Old "90 Taurus SHO It would Grind when the clutch went out if you tryed to put it into gear, The Corolla Does the Opposite, It doesn't do anything....Liek it's not Engagine into Gear or somthing....They Had Some "Independent" Mechanic look at it and He Said it Needed a "Clutch Kit"...? Said that it would be around $110-125 for parts? Which seems weird....I think A Clutch for the SHO Ran around $500+.....I Dunno, Just thought I'd see if I Could Get some Opinions....Before it Quit Working Completely it Did the RPM's Rising Quickly that was spoke of, Where when you Shift from 3rd to 4th at say 4500 rpm it would only Drop to around 300RPM and then Be back at 4500 Really quick.....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it the lines that are leaking, or the connection to the clutch master, or the clutch master itself?
All I know is that about every three weeks or so I have to fill up the clutch master cylinder with brake fluid.

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
82MKIISupra-L said:

All I know is that about every three weeks or so I have to fill up the clutch master cylinder with brake fluid.
Ok. That's fair.
It sounds like you're at the beginning of the diagnosis phase. If you're serious about fixing the problem then you need to trace the leak. I suggest getting a flashlight and examining closely the clutch master and slave. They're pretty easy to get at, and once you've determined where the leak is you can progress from there.

I'd jump on it if I were you. Brake fluid is extremely caustic...

S

·
0 Posts
Shoot i have to re fill it every day, And when i drive around town it gets hella low like its poring out. I was gone for two weeks, opened the hood and it was bone dry. Im guessing it is the clutch master Cyl. any inputs

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard of this dye that you pour into an area that is suspected of leaking (Clutch master cylinder in my case). The kit comes with a flashlight with a special lense. The effect is similar to that of a black light, so when you use the flashlight, anywhere there is a leak it will show up due to the dye in the fluid. I may look into that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I deicided to put the car up on jackstands today to see what I could find. I went underthe trans and where the slave bleeder screw there is a little rubber boot and that seems to be the source of whats leaking. It was real moist and when I applied alittle pressure to see if something was wrong, fluid started dripping out so what do I do now? :(

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
82MKIISupra-L said:
I deicided to put the car up on jackstands today to see what I could find. I went underthe trans and where the slave bleeder screw there is a little rubber boot and that seems to be the source of whats leaking. It was real moist and when I applied alittle pressure to see if something was wrong, fluid started dripping out so what do I do now? :(
Replace the slave cylinder. Should be cheap at Napa.
Make sure you bleed everything after replacement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts