Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
C&D said:
In 1999, Mercedes-Benz teased us with not one, but two mouth-watering “Vision SLR” supercar concepts. One had a roof, the other was a convertible. The Vision SLR coupe eventually became the stupidly fast and stratospherically priced SLR McLaren coupe, which Mercedes-Benz builds with racing partner McLaren Cars. Now, a full four years into its product cycle, Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are finally giving their SLR coupe a droptop playmate, to be called the SLR McLaren roadster.

Spied in the Canary Islands on a photo shoot, this prototype of the top-secret roadster will spawn one of only a handful of droptops ever to break the 200-mph barrier and perhaps the fastest open-topped automobile ever sold in this country by a major manufacturer when it appears on our shores next year as a 2009 model.

Clear from these not-so-clear photos is that the SLR roadster appears pretty much identical to the current SLR McLaren coupe in terms of its long-nose proportions and front and rear styling. Also a given are a carbon-fiber monocoque chassis and carbon-fiber body panels, just like the hardtop. A fabric top, as opposed to a folding hardtop, will be fitted in the interest of cost saving.

Less clear, however, is whether the scissors-fly doors from the coupe will appear on the roadster. Certainly, conventional front-hinged doors would be somewhat of a disappointment after the cool butterfly doors on the coupe. Don’t get us wrong, however, they would hardly prompt any one of us to kick the SLR out of our garage.

Expect little or no diminution of performance from the 617-hp, 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 with 575 pound-feet of torque that powers the SLR hardtop, which can accelerate to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds and touch a claimed 207 mph when given enough asphalt. We would be surprised, however, if the roadster were offered in the intensified 641-hp “722” guise like the coupe. It would be fitting, however, considering that the original No. 722, a 1955 Mercedes-Benz SLR racer that Stirling Moss drove to victory in the Mille Miglia three consecutive years, was actually a roadster.

Pricing will likely be about 10 percent higher than the $455,750 of the SLR coupe, so don’t expect much change back from your half-mil bill.

Hell, it actually looks really good as a convertible. It looks more proportionate than the coupe!

·
Banned
794 Posts
SLR is my next project. Looking as we speak.

·
Banned
794 Posts
That car never made sense to me. The 65 powered cars are faster than the wonder car while being heavier. :dunno:
The 65 powered cars are NOWHERE near as fast.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
SLR is my next project. Looking as we speak.
Fast or not, you are soon to be owner of one of the most unattractive exotics in recent history. Now you can hang out with all the CGT guys :lol:

·
4,109 Posts
Fast or not, you are soon to be owner of one of the most unattractive exotics in recent history. Now you can hang out with all the CGT guys :lol:
Wob, I thought I told you about bashing on my dream cars, mang???

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
I would have a talk with your subconscious trini, he's leading you down an ugly path :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 65 powered cars are NOWHERE near as fast.

While true, it is not from lack of ability. The SL65 is hampered from the factory in order to not "out-shine" the SLR. I spent some time prior to joining the USAF working at the SouthEast Technical Training Center in Jacksonville, FL. This is attached to the Vehicle Processing Center for that region as well. We received the first two SLR's to arrive in the USA. I was told by the tech instructors of the SL65 being restricted. This was confirmed by a McLaren technician who came over from Woking to assist with the prep of the SLR's. Apparently, AMG was not too happy that the SLR job went to McLaren and sought to design the 65 to out-perform it. (That last sentence is just hearsay from the tech instructors, I cannot prove or refute it. Nor do I really care to.) Drop-top SLR is nice, SL65 is nice too. Just wanted to parlay some of my experience from working there, not trying to be an ass. Whatever the outcome,
my F-15 is still faster!!!:)

·
Banned
794 Posts
Personally, I find the car very attractive, and I hate the CGT. Why cant I upload a pic here?

·
Banned
794 Posts
For the money.. their more bang for the buck. I'd take a CLS 65 with bolt ons over a mclaren.
What you would take, and what you can get are 2 different scenarios. :wavey:

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
What you would take, and what your parents can get are 2 different scenarios. :wavey:
:lol:

Allan, you can attach a picture or you can post it using the
tags (provided it's already hosted).

·
4,109 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts