Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got an sp63 on my desk with low miles, but i can see radial shaftplay (visually see the shaft move slightly back and forth)
its not enough to bounce off the housings or anything though.
is this normal since there is no oil pressure in the center section?

·
Registered
205 Posts
bdekoning said:
i've got an sp63 on my desk with low miles, but i can see radial shaftplay (visually see the shaft move slightly back and forth)
its not enough to bounce off the housings or anything though.
is this normal since there is no oil pressure in the center section?
Excatly.

The realy problem is when you have thrust play.

Dylan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does look like it gets kind of close to the edges of the housings when i move it around.. but it doesnt scrape them or anything. id say it moves about the thickness of a business card. thrust play is.. axial play?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats normal. Dont worry about it. As long as it doesnt hit the comp. housing. My t88h has some play brand new right out the box and same thing with my old Turbonetics turbo, so I think its normal. At least with non-ballbearing turbos. What you dont want is any in&out play when you pull or push the blade.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Both radial & axial play are important. The only accurate way to determine if the radial & axial play are within tolerance is to use a dial indicator.
Radial play must be measured where the manufacturer specifies. On stock TT turbos it is measured at the inlet oil hole.
Axial play can be measured at the end of the shaft.
The manufacturer will specify the tolerances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts