Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Huge Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the verge of cobbling together my own single kit using a Greddy manifold and an ITS full ball bearing GT60. I think this size a turbo is small enough to be used on stock fuel when run at 20 psi and pump gas. Your comments on this plan are appreciated.

First, does anyone know if Greddy manifolds will match with Garrett turbine housings?

Second, my plan would consist of this T60 sized turbo, a 3 row Greddy intercooler, and stock fuel. I may also clean and rebalance my stock injectors. At the risk of overpowering the stock fuel system, is the VPC a necessity? If I choose to keep my stock injectors and stock MAF, which is the best fuel controller to use? The HKS AFR, APEX S-AFC, Fields SFC or Greddy E-Manage?

Third, I did the fuel mod where I removed the fuel gizmo in the trunk. I've heard this allows higher voltage at all times, but it's not necessarily good for long trips. If I go single, should this 'fuel gizmo' go back in?

P

·
0 Posts
1) don't know

2)keeping the stock MAS will be tough, the car will stall and it is a restriction on the turbo. Plan on a VPC, balance the injectors, new filter, Dampner bypass, and a new fuel pump.

3) If it is the 12 volt mod, I undid mine, made no difference, and it heats up the pump.

It will be worth every penny :)

·
Huge Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply

PMD said:
1) don't know

2)keeping the stock MAS will be tough, the car will stall and it is a restriction on the turbo. Plan on a VPC, balance the injectors, new filter, Dampner bypass, and a new fuel pump.

3) If it is the 12 volt mod, I undid mine, made no difference, and it heats up the pump.

It will be worth every penny :)

I thought I could get away with the stock MAF on a small turbo like the T60, but from your reply it seems I will still have a problem. My reasoning behind keeping the MAF was that I have no need for a 600 rwhp car that I can't control. I want the fast spooling, stock fuel equipped single and I still want that nice stock idle. I realize the VPC offers a substantial power benefit over the stock MAF, but with stock fuel, I'm concerned about riding the edge of the reliability envelope.

I really don't know anything about the vpc, but I've seen that there is an idle gain knob on the unit. Can I increase my idle speed with this adjustment to improve my idle quality?

Assuming I plan on the vpc with the chipset for the stock injectors, will I absolutely need a second controller like an AFC or GCC or AFR for fine tuning, or can I just use the vpc? This is important as I'm not interested in spending more money just to get more power out of the single when I have the stock fuel limit anyway. Basically, what other benefit, besides more fine tuning of the fuel curve, will I get from a tandem fuel controller (AFC, GCC, AFR, etc) if I already have the vpc?

·
boost is good
772 Posts
you should be ok with the stock maf..ive heard its good for around 500rwhp. i remember someone on here running stock maf with a t78 before. if you can swing a vpc ide get one, but stock maf will work i think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Get a Greddy e-Manage for $300 to control fuel, timing, and then run a larger Pro-M mass air and don't worry about VPC issues. The e-Manage compensates for larger mass air and larger injectors, can't beat that :)

BTW I am running a SP63 on stock mass air until I can afford a larger mass air and besides stalling if I left off the throttle from a higher rpm I have no problems.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Twin pumps?

Mark,

I thought that the stock pump could outflow the injectors? Do you have any data on the flow rate of the stock unit? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The rest sounds good.

Kirk

A

·
0 Posts
as for fuel control, I love the sfc-r it is a very easy to use unit, with all sorts of cool functions like 0-400m 0-100km/h etc. and adjusting the fuel is so easy, u can do it while u drive the car!

·
3,148 Posts
I made 526rwhp through the stock MAF with my SP63 at 20.5psi. It works fine. You should upgrade your injectors before you worry about your pump.

Later, Steve

·
3,148 Posts
Mark, Hopefully we both agree that you should upgrade the pump and injectors.

The quote you made about fuel pumps is very similiar to the quote I would make about injectors.

"I know people who made 700hp on a single pump, but that doesn't prove any point except people are taking risks they should not take."

When you start getting over 90% dutycycle (which you are at over 520rwhp) you are just asking for trouble.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
So far, my experiences agree with Tozer's (see my other thread in the tech section). I plan on upping the fuel pressure about 10 psi to support higher boost. Really high boost on race gas isn't that important to me, as there isn't even an unleaded race gas pump in town.

·
Huge Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All GREAT replies

Thanks to everyone for their replies. This is highly informative and I doubt I'm the only one with these questions.

Mark, what is your opinion of using a VPC vs. a larger MAF, given your upgraded fuel pump etc. recommendations and if you exclude the stalling problem from consideration?

Grant, there is too an unleaded race gas pump at the G'ville raceway. It's not cheap, but it's there, or at least it was. Worse case you have VP Racing send you a 55 gallon drum. Or you pick it up in Ft. Lauderdale.

Everyone, if running on the stock MAF or a larger one, is the Greddy E-Manage the best way to go on stock (or slightly modified with twin pumps, etc) fuel? What if one were using the VPC? Would the GCC work the best on stock (or slightly modified with twin pumps, etc) fuel given ease of compatibility with VPC? I realize the AFC has more tuning points, but for the easiest installation and use, which supporting fuel controller wins?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah, $5 / gallon 100 unleaded, only availble 1 or maybe 2 days a week. What crap.

As for the E Manage, it _should_ be best piggy back out there. 2D timing and fuel ajustment maps. Mohd got it for meor $380 with all the harnesses, shipped. I haven't gotten it yet, so I can't comment as to how well (or if) it works.

Compared to the others, the E Manage will not be easy to install or tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts