Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering trying to stuff an 8" (possibly a 7") sub in each of the rear speaker enclosures. I'm not going for earth rattling bass - but I think a pair of 8's with about 200W each would sound pretty damn sweet.

Anyone done this?

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
I havent seen it done before, but it could be done if you built a custom pod out. I doubt the stock enclosure/area would have enough airspace for a sub to sound decent. If there was any sub that could fit, it would be the Pioneer TSSW 8"

G

·
Those are about the only possiblity you have to fit in the stock enclosure. The only other thing you could do is get some custom panneling done to basically seel up the area around the sub.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
i had this identical idea in mind. there looks like enough space. now if only someone has been through the process...

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
How about just putting in some 6x9 setup ? I am sure that would fit and give quite a bit of bass ?? Just a thought. I am running the Stu setup in the rear stock locations. 6'' basically.

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are some new 6.5" subwoofers out that are pretty mean. With a 6.5" sub you really wouldn't have to modify much to make them fit (probably just some spacers).

Check these out... http://www.mpyreaudio.com/65x0.htm

Not sure how airtight the rear enclosures are and that will need to be addressed if you are putting subwoofers there.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It could work with the rear enclosures, they have a good bit more interior volume than the fronts.

I would think about just mounting a good 8in sub the OEM box. It requires some surgery but mine sounds pretty nice.

Here is a pic, still need to make some kind of a grille and a new piece of carpet.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
831 Posts
Two 6.5 JL Audio subs will fit just fine . You have to have a custom box made that will drop in in place of the stock enclosure, but it's not that difficult for a good shop. I did this and placed the stock grille (on spacers ) over them for a stock look.
Those Move Audio subs do look interesting, though. :)

·
Scotch Scotch Scotch
3,483 Posts
Will2 said:
Two 6.5 JL Audio subs will fit just fine . You have to have a custom box made that will drop in in place of the stock enclosure, but it's not that difficult for a good shop. I did this and placed the stock grille (on spacers ) over them for a stock look.
Those Move Audio subs do look interesting, though. :)
When you make a post like this, pics are pretty much mandatory :bigthumb:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jim Swantko said:
I'm considering trying to stuff an 8" (possibly a 7") sub in each of the rear speaker enclosures. I'm not going for earth rattling bass - but I think a pair of 8's with about 200W each would sound pretty damn sweet.

Anyone done this?

Only the 93-96 had the enclosures 97 and 98 cars only have a bracket to hold the rear soeakers in place.

If you use the enclosure from a 93-96 you maybe able to get a shallow Mid bass driver there or you will need to cut the backof the plastic enclosures.

It is possible to make something out of fiberglass, I am not sure if it would be worth the effort.

As for the sub enclosures for the MKIV you may want to check these out.

http://www.wickedcas.com/store/index.php?cPath=21_26
Nazar

·
Registered
134 Posts
Focal makes a K2 series 5" sub. They require very little airspace. About .3cu ft. I work at a stereo shop in Texas. Check the web for the Focal K2 13KS, they measure everything in cm. maybe this is what you are looking for.

Julian

·
Registered
442 Posts
87tabshire said:
Focal makes a K2 series 5" sub. They require very little airspace. About .3cu ft. I work at a stereo shop in Texas. Check the web for the Focal K2 13KS, they measure everything in cm. maybe this is what you are looking for.

Julian
We have used those in our shop not bad at all. However not like a 6.5" JL Sub. Although if you only had room for a 5.25" It should do the trick.

·
I'm in the Death Business
1,922 Posts
those focals are nice little subs, and for the size they are they put out a decent amount. i would put those more in the kick panels in the front though rather than the rear

·
Lee's Car Stereo-Cen Cal
308 Posts
if you can get a hold of the old jl 6wo's they would fit in the stock rear panels no problems.....i installed a pair about 2 years ago....and also i've tried the 8" treo ssi8.22's in a custom fiberglass box fitted in the factory woofer location and they sound baddass (like 2 good 10s) the pioneer 8" will hit hard but no sound they're too shallow and stiff.......so if you want some good 8" subs i would suggets the treo ssi8 subs!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts