Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

As the title suggests, I'm trying to find out which is the smallest single turbo capable of producing over 600 wheel horsepower on 93 octane. The engine is a three liter with 264 cams, 8:1 compression, and upgraded heads.

Let me know if you need any more info in order to more accurately answer my question.

Thank you :)

·
1,020 Posts
with proper tuning and supporting mods a 71mm turbo will do it.

Will it be a safe a/f and will your motor survive? Prolly not, but thats the fun.

·
Registered
538 Posts
You could try a Turbonetics 62-1...

Then he would need headwork, cams, aem tuning. I would say the 67 or 71 is probably the smallest turbo that would do it from a financial perspective. You may be able to do it with a 63, but it would still cost more then just going with a 71 and doing less power expensive power mods.

-Corey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses so far, but when you guys mention 67,71, etc I dont know which company you're talking about. Can you please be more specific?

..and the heads on my car are ported, have upgraded springs, lifters, and oversized vavles. I also have cams as mentioned above.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have any of you tried the SC61 from percision. You can source then for $600 easy and they are rated at 680hp. That may be a bit small for you guys but for us 2.0lt guys it's a decent size turbo.

Just wanted to through out a possiblilty.

·
1,020 Posts
Influence said:
Thanks for the responses so far, but when you guys mention 67,71, etc I dont know which company you're talking about. Can you please be more specific?

..and the heads on my car are ported, have upgraded springs, lifters, and oversized vavles. I also have cams as mentioned above.
I dont think a 67mm will flow enough to make 600 on pump.

a Boost logic 71GTS /.81 hotside will get you there no problem.

I happen to have a new one for sale.

coated and polished

PM me for details.

:sadance:

G

·
GigaMp3z said:
Then he would need headwork, cams, aem tuning. I would say the 67 or 71 is probably the smallest turbo that would do it from a financial perspective. You may be able to do it with a 63, but it would still cost more then just going with a 71 and doing less power expensive power mods.

-Corey
Hmm well he did say smallest :D Turbonetics T66 it is then. Maybe a T66/P-trim Tangential .81 A/R

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
auto or 6 speed, that'll make a big difference

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
I would not try for 600 RWHP on pump gas with anything smaller than a 70. Otherwise your backpressure will kill ya! You can probably do it on the dyno..... but on a long pull on the road beware!!

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
My guess is you want small for quick response at 600rwhp. Check into a GT35R.

·
Registered
707 Posts
In the days of old and with meth injection, I made 631 hp on 91 octane with a sp63. Without meth you need a bigger turbo upwards of 71 mm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeremyhelling said:
My guess is you want small for quick response at 600rwhp. Check into a GT35R.
Bingo..
A gt35r might make 600whp, but will it do it under 21 psi?

If someone has some time on their hands can they please post an informative link about meth injection and how it works etc. ?

Thanks again everyone. :)

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,831 Posts
Influence said:
Bingo..

If someone has some time on their hands can they please post an informative link about meth injection and how it works etc. ?

600rwhp under 21psi?? Now your getting picky!! That is a pretty big turbo do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SteelCitySupra said:
600rwhp under 21psi?? Now your getting picky!! That is a pretty big turbo do that.
Yea, you're right. But, I don't care much about preassure. Its the octane which is important. I figured running over 21 psi on 93 oct. would be pretty risky.

I've seen people run up to 23-24 psi on 93 oct. so am I wrong in making such an assumption?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
To run 21psi on 93 octane and make 600+ rwhp would need a very large compressor and a very large exhaust housing to minimize backpressure. In other words, a very large turbo. You will have shitloads of lag, the car will be a freeway car.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Influence said:
Bingo..

If you're gonna make 600rwhp under 21psi then you're gonna be with a GT42R or larger and your spool will suffer. If you can make your goal at say 28psi and have a quick spooling turbo then why cut yourself short with a larger turbo? Do you have boost limitations for some reason?

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Influence said:
Yea, you're right. But, I don't care much about preassure. Its the octane which is important. I figured running over 21 psi on 93 oct. would be pretty risky.

I've seen people run up to 23-24 psi on 93 oct. so am I wrong in making such an assumption?
I think you're gonna have a VERY hard time making 600rwhp on 93oct regardless of turbo. My buddy just put down 471hp and 521lbft on a T78 on 93oct and that's doing pretty dayum good (automatic) and a turbo that will spool much slower than a GT35R.

Add a progressive alky injection kit and run your 93oct and you'll be just fine.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
To run 21psi on 93 octane and make 600+ rwhp would need a very large compressor and a very large exhaust housing to minimize backpressure. In other words, a very large turbo. You will have shitloads of lag, the car will be a freeway car.
Exactly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts