Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just wondering what is the smallest possible speaker capable of producing descent bass given appropriate power. For weight reasons(and because of the targa) i dont really want to put my jl 10's in the back of my car. Apparently 5-1/4 speakers fit in the rear boxes(mk3) and i was wondering if anyone made a woofer around that size(would be amplifying it...~100 watts rms.

adam

·
Registered
155 Posts
I second the JL Audio 6W0 reply as the most reasonable option. They work well in small sealed or ported enclosures. Focal also makes a very small 5 3/8" subwoofer that is supposed to be excellent, but you will pay much more. It's part of their Utopia line, model 5WS.

I run 4 6W0's in a custom self-built fiberglass/MDF enclosure. More cone area than a 12" sub in a stealth package that could take 500 watts easily and still be invisible.

JL's website has lots of specs on their subwoofers including expected frequency responses for different enclosure designs and volumes. Do a search at carsound.com for more info. Mannville Smith, the owner of JL Audio posts there as well as a couple of JL's Technicians.

Edit: I found Focal 5WS at woofersetc.com for $116. Much less than what their recommended retail is!!! Could be more of an option than I thought, but do your homework. I think they need more airspace than the 6W0.

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
6s are smallest realy now if u want maybe just go with a component set with seperate woofer and tweeter and put some good wattage to it. Ot do 2 componenet sets you should sound good then. Kicker is good

·
Super Moderator
5,991 Posts
Like Howie said, component sets can produce reasonable, decent bass and you can get them as small as 4 woofers in component sets. Its best to amplify those components however to get the most out of them and get the best bass response.

However, it also has to do with what type of bass you want to reproduce.... as in what type of music you listen too. A single JL 6w0 would definitly produce deeper lows.... if amplified.

CraigK

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses. yeah ive got a clarion 400x4 amp that im gonna throw in there and power the fronts and rear subs and let the deck take care of the rear speakers.

adam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts