Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys so my dumbass killed my NA Supra, I figured since I had all the leaks fixed, I didn’t need to check the oil right away
(I had an emergency and I only had the Supra cause I let someone borrow my car), I’m hoping to get it fixed cause I definitely want to save it for a daily.

I ultimately wanted a turbo anyways for the weekends so I’ve found these two,

This one is 100k miles but has a battery drain, I know this one would take awhile and more cash to replace everything and make it road ready. Idc to much about paint right now.

This one is a single turbo 1jz which is what I really want. It has a bad starter so I need to push start for now. He says everything’s fine.

I do have questions like what I should look for, I’ve tried googling, like can he not hook up certain electronics for the CEL? I think the cars fine but I’m being paranoid cause it’s a lot of money. He said he would take 6k for me.

Thanks guys, I wanna be part of the Supra community again haha.

·
Super Moderator
10,450 Posts
That 1JZ car isn't a bad price but I'd treat it as a parts car/donor car. I absolutely hate wire tuck jobs because about 95%+ of them are absolutely hacked up shitty trash that cause countless additional problems that are vastly more difficult to diagnose or troubleshoot and for what? A 'Clean engine bay??' this isn't 1985 anymore, nobody gives a shit.

Overall it sounds like the 1JZ car was abused all to hell and you should expect major components to be in rough shape. But again, with mid-sump 1JZ-GTE's and R154's selling for what they do these days, not a bad price for the whole package.

But I would emphatically understand that you're going to spend thousands of dollars more on good parts/finishing work to actually make that MK3 into a decent car.

The burgundy '88 is a nice start for a restoration and it's nice that it's so stock, but it looks like it'll need EVERYTHING - being a 100% original car I would expect it needs a HG job, replacement of every gasket/belt/hose in the engine bay, and a bunch of other new parts like the radiator, fan clutch, water pump, fuel pump, filters, brakes and brake lines, suspension, bushings, etc - and that's not even getting into the obvious cosmetic issues. Money pit waiting to happen, but it'd be YOUR money pit! (for whatever that's worth - IMHO not much)

Between the two I'd do the 1JZ car and expect an engine-out inspection/refresh of what's needed and I'd likely go clean-slate with a dedicated new engine harness for a good standalone ECU and tuning. Cosmetics and other improvements would follow after that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I appreciate your opinions! I see you are both worried about the wire job, which I am too cause I have a good mechanic but not sure about his electrical work.
I can’t open the wiring diagrams without instantly closing it haha.

I wasn’t to worried about the jz being beated on since I have heard everywhere they are bullet proof. I think I will check out the 1jz and be cautious about it and see what’s worn down. Worse comes to worse I’ll keep my NA and learn on it and learn to be happy with just 200hp.

I wouldn’t mind a full restoration of the stock one but I think I would be too impatient.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I’m taking a look at the 1jz this Saturday, speedo doesn’t work he said, oil gauge works he said when it’s warm whatever that means, no TEMS, Starter is out but can be push started. I’m thinking of passing but ima come take a look still.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
i would hard pass UNLESS you are ready for a complete electrical overhaul.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the advice, makes me feel better that I didn’t get it! I did find a guy who’s selling me crankshaft and pistons for my NA for 200, so I do hope to get that done fairly soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts