Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a weird smell coming out from the engine bay near the turbo, exhaust side. ok heres the deal, i removed the stock exhauast system including the turbo elbow...and was hoping to put aftermarket in. but the bolt on elbow was stripped and now i had to buy an elbow/downpipe combo from becauseican. but in the meantime i was hoping to put my stock exhaust back on which i did. but i did cut off the muffler/ resonator section since that part was breaking off after we took it off. (rust //weld was broken.) so basically i'm running downpipe with two cats and after second cat thats all. we tighten all the bolts on the elbow. no more smoke after tightening bolts on elbow. but still a odor in the turbo area?? any ideas...i'll probably not drive the car that much anyways until i get the aftermarket. please help need to fix it ASAP. thanks

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Obvious stuff first... have you managed to spill any oil, coolant, power steering fluid, whatever on the manifold? It'll take a while to burn all that stuff off, and it will stink for a while.

·
got boost???
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope no spills. i didn't touch anything else besides the elbow/downpipe. and o2 sensor. it smells like rubber burning....but there ain't no rubber anywhere around turbo area..

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
something bout gaskets should be in there i think....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Shouldn't that downpipe have eliminated the first cat? Just wondering how you still have 2 cats with a down pipe installed.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Are you sure of where the smell is coming from? Could you be firing hot exhaust onto one of the rubber baby bumpers that your stock exhaust was hanging from, under the car?

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
SupraT13 said:
Shouldn't that downpipe have eliminated the first cat? Just wondering how you still have 2 cats with a down pipe installed.
It would, but he still has the stocker. It might be the undercarrage like GrimJack said. I run a cutout and I never smell anything, but cat tempratures are a lot hotter than normal exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts