Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my car is a 95 na-t automatic and just recently ive been getting white smoke out the exhaust after boost and i let off the gas. after blow off it takes about 5 seconds for white smoke to start coming from my exhaust for about 20 seconds or so then it goes away. my car is untuned and has never done this before. it started instantly after i drove my car down to nearly no gas at all. i was barely able to get to the gas station then i put about 1/2 tank in and the drive out it started smoking after blow off. what could be wrong? i know i sholdnt have let the gas run so low, does anyone have anything i should check? also at about 1000 rpms theres a strange sound coming from my engine but its not there at any other rpm's. i cant really explain the sound to well im gona try and get a vid,, its kinda a thuding noise but i dunno. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

pt 52 dave h kit. basic kit stock injectors and hg.

130,000 miles. maybe 2000 or so on boost.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
anyone have any idea what i should check... my oil was a little low when it started to smoke but then i filled it up and it did the same thing. after boost it smokes white out the exhaust.

could it possibly be fuel filter or fuel pump? cuz i was super low on gas?

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
If it was oil, it would be blueish smoke. I'm not really sure what it could be, but if you are untuned, you really shouldn't be boosting at all.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, ive been on 6 lbs of boost... im thinkin the fuel filter got clogged of crap or something... does that seem reasonable?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
White usually means water. Is it a LOT of white smoke? Could it just be moisture in the exhaust burning out? Otherwise it may mean head gasket, check to see how the coolant looks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure what it smells like because its after i hit boost and let off.. about 10 seconds after blow off valve. and it lasts for 20 seconds. im gona check coolant most likely drain it and put some new stuff in there. whats the easiest way for checkin for a blown gasket? can u do a visual check with out taking anything apart? i dont think its moisture burning outa the exhaust cuz it only happens after boost... does anyone think it could be the fuel filter?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did urs start smoking right after u installed ur kit or did it take a while for it to start? mine hasnt smoked ever and its been through a 1000 or so miles and all of a sudden after my gas tank is runnin fumes and i refill it, it started.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
How much boost are you running ??

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
7psi

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just did one of thoes block testers where u put the thing in the coolant and if it changes to yellow you have a leak somewhere.. suppost to start with blue and end with yellow if u have a leak but i stated with blue and got green. im going to run the test again just to be sure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
started draining coolant and its brown... after i change it all out ill see how it runs and if it still smokes.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
coolant is changed and still same problem. white smoke after boost. did the block test turned green not yellow so there might be something up with that. car is still un tuned maybe i should get it tuned? i dunno. should i check fuel pumpfilter because of how low it got?

im running full synthetic.. would the smoke still be blue if it were burning oil? im still gettin white smoke. wideband is gona go in tomorrow and see what my a/f is.

·
Flame Thrower
961 Posts
I had the same problem outta my Mazda MX6 turbo. It was a lil bit of antifreeze and my turbo seals were shot! Hopefully not your problem but sumthin to look at. Try doin a compression check cuz it may be your HG! Good luck!!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
could it just be a seal or something somewhere on the turbo? the car doesnt smoke at all any other time cept 5 seconds after boost. so i dont think a head gasket would do that, it would smoke all the time right? what else should i check out? wideband wasnt installed yet, tomorrow im gona have a mechanic check it out.

thanks for the help so far, gimy a clue on what he should check

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
doing compression check tomorrow along with a few others. hopefully its nothing terrible.. if its headgasket oh well time for a 2.5mm and injectors + tuning.

·
Lexotic Garage
1,470 Posts
You could have coolant slowly seeping into combustion chamber that doesnt affect oil mixture at all. When I boosted my IS300 I had a similar problem.

Easy Check:
Remove spark plugs and shine a nice flashlight into combustion chamber.
Your piston tops should be grimey with carbom deposits. If you find any pistons that look clean, or much cleaner than the rest - you have found your leak. burning coolant, steam cleans your pistons. It will be very apparent. It doesnt have to be much.. just a few drops here and there when fault in HG is apparent lets in a few drops and it burns off. Hence your 20secs and out scenario.

Been there done that :) I had a hairline scratch on my cylinder head that i sanded smooth that fixed that problem second time around. with a 2mm GReddy HG

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay so the guy says theres a seal in the turbo thats allowing some oil to get in and thats what is causing the white smoke. it only happens when it gets close to boost, 3000 rpms around that area. so i need to take my car to a shop that they know what they are doing. check the seals out in the turbo, and dyno/tune the car. he recomended turbotrix. does anyone else have any other recomendated spots in newjersey area? i live central jersey, i need some help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts