Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I have been sitting at a long light, if I rev my car a little, a puff of smoke comes out. Anything I should worry about?

It's a 94' BPU 6spd with 93K miles on it

Thanks in advance
-Steve

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
That could be valve seals too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It depends on the color of the smoke... What color is it? Black usually is oil, and white is usually water.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
easy to find out... car has high mileage (probably yes), do the following to check it out.. have a compression test done on the engine... if numbers good, then cylinders ok. have someone trail you in another car, if you continually blow smoke, cylinders (without compresion check done) or turbo seals.. if turbo seals u should see a visible amount of blue smoke when turbos spool.. but most certaintly and possibly is the fact that you have a high mileage supra, and the valve stem seals are leaking.. this is very common on supras.. check the mkiv.com web site, there's a link on how to change the valve stem seals, also there is lots of info on the subject at the yahoo forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mkiv/messages/
hope it helps... if you have toyota do the valve replacement job it'll cost u around $1350.. no more smoke in the mornings, or accelerating while in traffic...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. It looks like the smoke is white or blue (probabley blue).

For a valve stem job, is there anything worthwhile to upgrade while the job is being performed?

Thanks again
-steve

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Darkgrey3K said:
Thanks for the replys. It looks like the smoke is white or blue (probabley blue).

For a valve stem job, is there anything worthwhile to upgrade while the job is being performed?

Thanks again
-steve
www.mkiv.com read the tech articles and they explain what can be done at the time of the valve seal replacement.

from mkiv: I'd recommend you replace the camshaft seals, the valve cover seals, and possibly the pcv, pcv hoses and valve cover screw seals. You also might want to change your plugs since they have to come out anyway

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PCV Valve

I thought I would share this with you but before you change the valve stem seals try replacing the pcv valve. I read somewhere that changing the pcv valve does the trick. I changed it and it works! Try it. Go to the dealership and pick one up for about $6. It's worth a shot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts