Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this before but i thought i would make a new thread because its bothering me not knowing what exactly the problem is. She is a 94 TT with 98k miles and has never had valve guide seals replaced and on the stock turbos. I recently bought the car but never noticed it untill i installed the downpipe. It will puff some smoke out when started and if it idles for a few seconds it will puff more smoke out. Also, it doesnt smoke at high rpm's (that i can tell). It is burning oil and im having to keep check on the oil making sure it doesnt get too low. I did a compression test and it yeilded 152-158 on all cylinders. Can someone tell me what i need to check or do to find out the problem myself? Could valve seals cause me to loose ALOT of oil in about 1800 miles? Also the throttlebody has oil inside of it. Is it safe to still drive it or will it cause detination?
Thanks

VIDEO
http://www.mythosashard.com/suprasmoke.avi

PICS
http://www.42l.com/gallery/album15

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i dont know if its getting worse or what but everytime i go in reverse i see and smell oil burning smoke. I am really depressed about this now since ive had the car almost 2 weeks now. Went to a wedding today and followed people to the reception and my car smothered the people behind me :( and several people told me id better get rid of the car before it gets too bad. I know it looks bad but hell i just want to know wtf is causing this; its embarassing i paid 25k for a car tha smokes, lol i really look like a dumbass now it does it and it doesnt even have to idle long at all its more like a constant thing. I will be doing the 100k mile service real soon and i already have the parts for the stem seals, but is there an easy way i can check right now to see what the problem is exactly without ripping the car apart :(. ?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a way i can tell what it is though? without spending tons of money on a turbo and seals i know both are enevitable but right now i would like to find out which one it is. Is it possible to disable the wastegate so that no air will spin the turbos? or something of the like.

·
Registered
707 Posts
at 98k you know the valve seals are toast. They are easy to replace with the head on the car. Turbo seals are a different story and are more likely to give you oil in your IC pips. Sounds like you are using a lot of oil and that can be as bad as ring lands even with good compression. You need the valve seals anyway, Then maybe turbo seals, then let's pray together it's no the rings...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have bad oil consumption and smoke on start up and a little bit of smoke at idle sometimes. Can the vavle stem seals really cause that much oil consumption? I have to fill up oil every 1000km.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
kilobit said:
I posted this before but i thought i would make a new thread because its bothering me not knowing what exactly the problem is.
Have you brought it to a mechanic or dealer to have them look at it? What did everyone say the first time you posted this question?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everyone is always 100% that its my valve stem seals and my turbos, lol maybe its both idk. This guy at work told me to put marvel mystery oil in the cylinder and see if the numbers change from the first compression test and that will determine how much blowby if any are coming from the pistons. But i doubt its the pistons cause this car is all stock. No nitrous no boost controller just a boost gauge and thats it.

Let me ask you guys another question. How much oil needs to be in the cylinder for it to blow a puff out on startup? When i did a compression test i looked into each one and never saw any oil residue. The pistons all looked dark brown, all 6 of them. Spark plugs looked ok too. There was some oil around the threads from the last oil change i think but none in the cylinder.

One thing i didnt try was to take the bottom hose off the intercooler, i had taken the top one off and it had oilyish residue in it. I am going to do that right now. If there is alot of oil in it then that would probably eliminate the valve stem seals, right? Ill post right back after i check!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Does it smoke under boost? If you are stopped, say sitting at a stop light and blip the throttle does it smoke after letting the throttle off?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
notlownf said:
Does it smoke under boost? If you are stopped, say sitting at a stop light and blip the throttle does it smoke after letting the throttle off?
No it doesnt under boost just at idle, and a semi big puff, but the weird thing is that sometimes it doesnt do it (rare). pics http://www.42l.com/gallery/album15

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
well i can't seem to see the oil in throttle body but from the pics of the oil you are removing from what seems like intercooler piping, the turbos are leaking BAD.

with turbos leaking, you wouldn't see oil directly at the exit of the turbo, i beleive it's because velocity is too high. Generally, you see it after the intercooler, where the flow of air got disturbed, then oil can rest on the piping. I see that all the times on rx-7 with blown oil seal on turbos. You never get oil at the exit of the turbos but between the TB and the intercooler, it's bad.

obviously, at 98k new valve stem seals are going to be needed but that wouln't explain all the oil in the piping.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
puma said:
what are the pipes the oil is coming from?
Thats kindof my problem, im not sure.. I will say that more oil is on the side that the throttlebody resides on at the bottom. And its really not a whole lot. Today i took it apart and didnt see any fresh oil anywhere, it was just that thick stuff at the bottom.

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
i think my post is confusing, i meant the pipes we see in the pictures where oil is coming out of it, what are those pipes?

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
ok than that can't be anything else than the turbos, unless someone put some sort of animal grease in your air box :)

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
do the stem seals first.... since you know they need to be done anyway. Then if you still have the problem swap out the turbos.

If you really think the turbo cold side is leaking that much then you can disconnect your IC piping, drive it as NA (it will suck ballz) and see if the oil smoke goes away..... if it does, then you know the COLD side is leaking. If it is still smoking, your hot side (more likely anyway) or your stem seals or both are shot.

I recommend starting with stem seals or running the car with the IC pipe off the TB in limp mode for a little bit (just in the driveway if nothing else).

You can tape your MAF onto your TB if it helps.... (crude, I know nutswingers, I know)
-M

·
Canadian monster
595 Posts
98mkiv said:
do the stem seals first.... since you know they need to be done anyway. Then if you still have the problem swap out the turbos.

If you really think the turbo cold side is leaking that much then you can disconnect your IC piping, drive it as NA (it will suck ballz) and see if the oil smoke goes away..... if it does, then you know the COLD side is leaking. If it is still smoking, your hot side (more likely anyway) or your stem seals or both are shot.

I recommend starting with stem seals or running the car with the IC pipe off the TB in limp mode for a little bit (just in the driveway if nothing else).

You can tape your MAF onto your TB if it helps.... (crude, I know nutswingers, I know)
-M
you can't do that as the maf won't receive signal of the air that goes in the engine. Unless like you said you find a way to install the MAf just before the TB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts