Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an intresting problem / situation

I started my car for the first time in a month the other day, Fixed my exhaust leaks and so on. Wired in my EBC a couple weeks earlier, wired into my boost gauge ( electric) all my connections are solderd and taped.

So I start my car today. Get it out in the driveway where its idling and then all of a sudden smoke starts coming from my glovebox.. then my vents.. then my gauge cluster trim bezel. I figured it was coming from my engine bay since I dont have a boot for the harness from when I did my swap. I coverd the hole and it kept going. So I try to turn on my vents and they wont work :ugh2:

Anyone have any idea why my dash is smoking?

Cliffs : Car is down for a month , started it up with new turbo kit for my JZ. Car idles and starts smoking profusely from inside. Not coming from engine bay, Vents wont work either

:ugh2: Gotta love random shit

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Wow, wiring maybe? If it's White smoke then it could be.

I had a '90 Celica that had electrical problems, and eventually Smoke came from my STERRING WHEEL, if you can believe that.

It all came down to some chewed up wires, positives and grounds mixing together, and shorting out or somethin to a wire that hooked up to my horn.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't burning coolant. I know that smell all to well.

I dont exactly know what the smell was. It wasnt an engine fluid. I need to rip off my center console and all that shit later and find out.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
if it smells like burnt rubber or some shit that's not engine smellerized, its probably electrical....check it out before a fire occurs....had this problem already and had a small fire.

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To make things even more intresting I just tore everything out of my car. I re-wired all the acessories, SAFC, EBC and Boost and AF gauge. Made sure I had a 12v source and good ground on all of them.

They all checked out fine. I found what was making the delightfull smell in my car. The harness behind the gauge cluster, all the way to the right is nice and toasty. I have no idea why or what caused it to get so hot. So the search continues for what caused my dash harness to become charbroiled.

·
Ludicrous speed! GO!
959 Posts
Wires burning out probably due to a short circuit or an overloaded circuit.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Overloaded is the keyword probably

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An overload would be an easy answer, but why would the wires on the far right behind my cluster melt if all my acessories are tapped into the switches on the LEFT of the steering wheel ( foglight, defroster etc etc). I have no other wiring modifcations. My reverse lights on are on a toggle switch but again, thats tapped off my turbo timer harness... not near the heated area.
The wires for my electronics are fine aswell, they weren't hot or melted.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:
To make things even more intresting I just tore everything out of my car. I re-wired all the acessories, SAFC, EBC and Boost and AF gauge. Made sure I had a 12v source and good ground on all of them.

They all checked out fine. I found what was making the delightfull smell in my car. The harness behind the gauge cluster, all the way to the right is nice and toasty. I have no idea why or what caused it to get so hot. So the search continues for what caused my dash harness to become charbroiled.

You probably put too much current draw on a circuit for the wiring to handle. Each gauge of wire has a current limit, if you exceed the draw capabilities, the resistance increases, things get hot, and start burning. Did you wire in all of your aftermarket accessories to the same circuit by any chance?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:
An overload would be an easy answer, but why would the wires on the far right behind my cluster melt if all my acessories are tapped into the switches on the LEFT of the steering wheel ( foglight, defroster etc etc). I have no other wiring modifcations. My reverse lights on are on a toggle switch but again, thats tapped off my turbo timer harness... not near the heated area.
The wires for my electronics are fine aswell, they weren't hot or melted.

Car wiring isn't always straight-forward. Some circuits intertwine with each other, so if you load up one path, it may affect another. Or, it could be even though you wired everything up on one side of the dash, that wiring path(s) travel from the other side of the car. A Multi-meter is your friend, remember that. ;^) That thing's saved my ass a couple times chasing circuits.

**Edit: Add a schematic to that as well. A good multi-meter and schematic will help you GREATLY when troubleshooting electrical gremlins.

**Double Edit: And either knowledge of reading schematics or access to someone who does. Shit, today is my 'Monday', so the brain isn't functioning properly...LOL!

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got it, ..oddly enough it had absolutely nothing to do with my electronics, Apparently the melting came from my Power mirror switch ? It fucked up and melted all the wires, Unplugged it, no more smoke. My mirrors dont work anyways. So I re-wired all thos wires for nothing :doh:

·
Registered
583 Posts
wow for a second there i thought that would have been my fault but than i remember'd u changed motors and harness's lol. its nice to c ur not dead lol i haven't heard or seen you guys in for ever keep in touch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts