Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just started happening about a week ago... whenever i give the car a lot of gas, or floor it, white smoke starts to pour out of the exhaust. It doesnt happen when im just driving normally... only when i drive it hard. The smell is kinda wierd but its not that strong, i think it might be burning something but i can't think of what it could be burning... does anyone know what this could be??

·
Top Down.. Twins Spinnin'
523 Posts
white smoke usually means coolant.. And if youre only burning it when you floor it, that could mean that you will need some new piston rings/ block work... correct me if im wrong.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SupraTT93 said:
white smoke usually means coolant.. And if youre only burning it when you floor it, that could mean that you will need some new piston rings/ block work... correct me if im wrong.
but how would the coolant end up in the exhaust? and how much are new piston rings if i needed them? :(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ya i forgot to mention its N/A... so its not the turbo ;)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Sounds like BHG. It will suck the water from the water jacket, into the combustion chamber causing white smoke. It doesnt smell that strong like burning oil but will definately make a clowd of smoke. When the engine is running and up to temp I would take the radiator cap off and see of there are any bubbles coming up. or excessive pressure in the cooling system. Also check for oil residu in the coolant.

Lawrence

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
Definetly sounds like headgasket. The "weird smell" is probably burning coolant.....it smells kind of sweet. This would also explain the white smoke. Also check for decrease in coolant level and/or coolant in the oil or vice versa....but it definetly sounds like a blown HG.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
93 twintrbo said:
Sounds like BHG. It will suck the water from the water jacket, into the combustion chamber causing white smoke. It doesnt smell that strong like burning oil but will definately make a clowd of smoke. When the engine is running and up to temp I would take the radiator cap off and see of there are any bubbles coming up. or excessive pressure in the cooling system. Also check for oil residu in the coolant.

Lawrence
This man knows his stuff. Start her up and remove that radiator cap and look for bubbles.

·
2JZ NA-T
5,413 Posts
well first of all, is it the smoke realy white? b/c its normal for cars to smoke when the gas pedal is to the floor, mine puffs all the time, and my engine is in descent conditions....but if its white, and has a sweet smell to it, like everyone else said, sounds like a blown gasket

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
SupraTT93 said:

Your wrong. thier is no coolent (or shouldent be) in the crank case.

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
it could be a whole number of things actually.... anywhere from blown valve stem seals to a blown HG.... the same thing happened to me... my TURBO blew but it was because my vavle stem seals were also blown so my motor was burning small amounts of oil..... (i did not know all of this at the time though) well it turns out that my engine was REALLY low on oil and the turbo wasnt getting enough, so the seal in that fried up and white smoke just BILLOWED out.... people thought my car was on fire.... its going to be expensive, but i would suggest replacing all the seals in the motor AND the HG so you dont have to worry about it again for a LONG time!!!!

this will also be better in the long run just in case you decide to go NA-T in the future.....

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
It is unnecessary to replace all of the seals IMO. Perform a leakdown test to help you isolate the cause of the problem. Then go from there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
is the coolant low? is it over heating?.....
if not, it may not be a blown HG

u should get an oil catch can and see if u are getting excessive blow by. check ur oil level often and see if u have to add to it more than usual. see if u have any new oil leaks. those are signs of excessive blow by. ur oil dipstick may even be pushed out from its seat.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i know what burning coolant smells like and its not that... my car was overheating a few weeks ago but i got a new radiator and water pump... my oil is full and theres no bubbling under the radiator cap. any more ideas? :confused:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know what you mean, white smoke was coming outa my exhaust to, except im not gonna check what it is, im gonna just change the headgasket anyways (its stock, time for upgrade) :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts