Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I did a search but not much there .

When I drive my Supra, I get a puff of black smoke everytime I boost it and change gears.
Also , when the car is idling , there is no smoke, but when I tap the gas pedal or give it a qhick rev, A whole puff of smoke billows out..and then nothing.

My question, is this a sign of bad turbo??

Also, I am running 3" piping from my turbo back with a apexi muffler (4" out).\

THERE IS NO CAT CONERTER IN MY CAR.

I do smell a lot of gas from the tail pipe. I do not have any fuel controllers or anything yet of that sort. Is my car running rich?? is that a loss of power??

Should I insstall a catalytic converter??

Thank in advance.

Moe.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Check for boost leaks. Sounds like a big one!! Most likely a lower IC pipe. Also check your timing. Mine was way offf and it caused the same thing.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
sounds like your typical running somewhat rich type of deal.

puff when mashing gas and gear changes..how big is the smoke? a lil or alot? plus you dont have cats too so....

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
true mostly thumbs..question is..is he having a loss of power?

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
WEll , I am experiencing a slight loss of power, in my opinion. The engine does not feel as strong untill I rev higher up in the numbers. I know it was not like that before. My turbo spools up, but does not feel strong enuf either .

At 80miles on the freeway, I used to pull hard before, but now the power seems to kinda plateau, that is why I was suspecting my turbo being bad or not spooling up. i will check my ic hoses again.
The accordian hose is brand new.

May be my timing is off??? I dont know coz my engine idles real smooth at 600-650 rpm. I am actually surprised of that knwing I have no cats and 3" piping.

Could the off timing be causing a loss of power???

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you're idling smoothly I would be surprised if it was timing. Since you notice it at load on the highway, I really think it would be a boost leak.

·
Registered
945 Posts
SUPRASTANGER507mgte said:
May be my timing is off??? I dont know coz my engine idles real smooth at 600-650 rpm. I am actually surprised of that knwing I have no cats and 3" piping.
i have 3" piping and no cats, and I idle around 1200 rpm...... same as when it was stock, the timing was off in my mkII supra and it idled really low like that, dragged ass until 2500 rpm then spun the tires while rolling across an intersection lol

The smoking does sound like a boost leak or turbo gasket. friend had same problem with his old T-Bird turbo. He needed the gasket. doesnt sound life threateningas long as you dont drive it like you would if it were working at 100%. Get it checked out and hope for the best.

The Supra Moo Daniel

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i always thought that bigger piping and and no cats plus cold air intake usually would give a higher than normal idle........or maybe im mistaking that for bigger cams..??

Thanks for your help Supra87T. Much appreciated. At least by more ppl posting, I can check on things I never thought i needed to check...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Pipe size and intake won't affect idle. The ECU will try to adjust idle to 650rpm (warmed up). So basically if you aren't idling at 650rpm, either something is so far out of wack the computer can't compensate or the computer thinks the car is in a different state than it is (ie. cold start).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts