Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as near as I can tell I managed to kill a spec stage 3 in under 20k. The flywheel was resurfaced, and I followed normal break in procedures. Further more, aside from a few burnouts and a dozen hard launches the car had mainly just been a driver!

The pics are not great, but it doesn't look like there is much material left on the pads. Further more the clutch is chattering a lot! And has very weird pedal feel.

What do you guys think? Did I do something wrong? And what clutches have you had better luck with in terms of mileage

Thanks,
Dustin

·
KBR
2,910 Posts
is the clutch disk a solid hub or a sprung hub?? (a solid hub will not last long on daily driving use). anywayz, as long as the clutch doent slip then it should be OK. and I think that the stage 3's is not that very well for daily driving. also, the type of clutch disk (carbon/kevlar or carbon/carbon) would make it chatter.

aite, peace.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
my spec 3 when i replaced my motor i was worried about how much was left on the pucks....didnt seem like a whole lot at all!! but yet its holding up find after about 22k miles with boost all the time and burnouts and launches everywhere i drive. hasnt gave me a problem yet...but i am worried about its life.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My concern about the chatter is that is there was no chatter last week, then all of a sudden it got really bad!

·
Slo-vertible Drifter
815 Posts
I'll see if I can take a pic of my disk. I haven't used it yet so it may give you an idea about the life left on your disk.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T.O. bearing

It is interesting that you guys keep bringing this up... I have also had a weird whining noise from the tranny, which also could be that bearing... either way, I guess the motor is getting pulled, and the clutch replaced!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
pull the motor and do it that way. its a lot easier if you have to lay down on the ground. but if you have a lift it would'nt be a problem with just removing the trans. :)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
that and it's arguably safer IMHO (instead of being possibly crushed by the tranny or car...)

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,939 Posts
to pull the motor to do the tranny is ass backwards. It is alot of work. I get the damn tranny in and out in a few hours

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Hmmm... on the lift I can pull my trans in about 30 mins. On the ground it takes about 45 mins. If you put your car on 4 stands, it's not gonna fall. Really, pulling the trans is much easier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts