Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After pulling the motor to do a full bay tuck and shave I've finally reinstalled everything, the only changes I made to the engine was I tapped the valve covers for -10 fittings and ran a catch can from tms. Now while running the engine it seems I am getting an excessive amount of smoke coming from the can. The engine was rebuilt I'd say 5k ago with 9.0-1 cp Pistons bored .040 over, gsc s1 cams. I know that some smoke is common especially without a vacuum source to draw out the fumes but this seems a little much. Any idea what would cause this? I've done some searching and all I really found was blow by gases but with a fresh motor I don't see why I would have this much. I will post a video link a little later when I get a chance to run the car. Any input is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
a little vapor escaping is normal, especially for the first 5-10 miles of driving. Mine has small wisps coming out which is mostly water.
Actual smoke pouring out of it is a sign of blow by.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll take a video shortly and post it, in thinking of using one of the ports for the air filter to run a hose for vacuum but I'm not sure wether to route it into the intake pipe or if I should weld a bung into the exhaust as the passing exhaust should create enough of a pull to remove the vapors

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
https://vid.me/q6Ek There's a link to a short video of it idling, it seems more like vapors then smoke but still seems a bit much to me
My motor smokes exactly the same amount at idle, freshly rebuilt motor with 1000 miles on it. I added a PVC valve now to avoid the odor at idle.

Curious to see if this is normal/common.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you route yours? I'm not sure if I want to run a hose to the intake or the exhaust I'm leaning more towards exhaust it would be a cleaner look and gets all vapors out of the bay

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I've had mine routed to my exhaust for a few years now using one of the Moroso venturis and it works very well.

Like this but this is not my pic (I don't have one of mine)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick are you running just a hose or do you have a one way check valve (what appears to be in the picture)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
How did you route yours? I'm not sure if I want to run a hose to the intake or the exhaust I'm leaning more towards exhaust it would be a cleaner look and gets all vapors out of the bay
I use the oem PVC. Its between the back of the intake manifold and the intake top cover hose.

in vacuum, you dont see any smoke or odors in the bay. Then in boost PVC closes and it all goes in the catch can

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Nick are you running just a hose or do you have a one way check valve (what appears to be in the picture)
Yes I have the check valve like in the photo above. If mounted too close to the turbo exhaust outlet it burns the check valves up, but mine has been down there for a few years with no problems.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
same set up as Nick's

didn't want smoke in my Bay nor route it back into the intake
It doesn't smoke from the exhaust with this setup?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I use to see very slight amount of smoke at idle from the filter of the can In direct sunlight at the right angle and it would worry me. You have a built motor so that can be normal. Only way to know for sure is to compression test and leakdown test it. Should be fine though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right before the winter I dynoed [email protected] pounds I can't assume I have bad compression but I will see if I can get my hands on a compression tester tomorrow or find mine. Any idea where I could find a one way check valve that has decent size inlet/outlets only one I have has 1/4 ends which is far to small

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jdmsup with the flow of the exhaust it causes a vacuum on the line so any vapor would get sucked out and just leave with the exhaust gases you wouldn't be able to tell the difference

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have my catch can vent into my intake pipe. I notice a small amount of oil in the intake pipe after a week or so of driving. Does anyone know where I can find a check valve that would fit bigger hoses (-6/-8-/10) and open with low amount of pressure? I would like to install one near the catch can to possibly limit the oil residue in the intake pipe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts