Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so we fixed the problem with my 1jz cutting out at 3000 rpm(short in the coil connector ) but now when i drive the car and get into boost it does fine and when i stop white smoke pours from around my back turbo, we think it is the turbo seals if it is how much would they cost and where can we find them?if its not what could be my problem?

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
white smoke would indicate in my opinion that your turbo has some sort of a coolant leak. Check the coolant lines leading to the turbo and make sure that it's not something as simple as a leaking gasket on that coolant hose flange. If it is leaking, it will drip onto the center housing and burn to white smoke.

Trev

·
Registered
297 Posts
people always say white.. i think you can assume he meant white/blue.

Anyway, yep thats turbo seals (if it IS oil smoke). Common prob on the 1J.

Classic signs are smoke after coming to a stop, at lights, or whilst idling down after a run. Wispy smoke, seems to hang around the back of the car.... normally starts after a minute or two of idling.

·
Trev
1,512 Posts
Agreed if it is indeed blue. If it were pure white cloudiness, I would stick with coolant. Smell it as it comes up from the turbo....you will know the difference in smell between oil and coolant.

Trev

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
man, that sucks for you. Just when you get your car running, it craps out.

Take this as a sign to UPGRADE. hehehe.

It may just be "single time".

-joseph

lmk if you need more help. oh yeah, smoke from oil smells really blunt, and dull. coolant is really sharp and STANKY

·
Registered
288 Posts
you can order a kit and rebuild them. If you are mechanically inclined, it should not be too hard. The kits are $135 ea. from Hardline Turbo in Utah. They have a website. Also, they will rebuild them for you and rebalance for $285. Not too bad. But if you are in the UK, you may want to look for someone a little closer to home.

Good luck,

Marty

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah thanks man but with all the work and money we have put into this engine as it is I just cant afford to go single right now so ive got to fix what i have . Or would it be cheaper to go single if I do end up having to rebuild my turbos?

·
Registered
288 Posts
you may want to look at these, not sure the difference between a ct12C and a CT12A, but they look identical...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7961001862&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcN__Stores or this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33742&item=7961001839&rd=1

I bought two from this guy, the turbo does have a little shaft play, but looks as clean as the picture... Won't know how good they really are until I fire the motor up...

Good luck,

Marty

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well guys it turns out my hose from the heater check valve was leaking on top of my back turbo causing major wite smoke all fixed now. thanks to everyone for the help!

·
Registered
297 Posts
ah sorry.. i didnt see the bit that said 'from my back turbo' , i thought it was coming from the exhaust.. there was no way it would have been turbo seals then... :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts