Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter's coming, and I don't have a spare car, so I'm going to be driving my 89 turbo in some snowy weather. I'd like to get some snow tires to put on my stock rims, and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations?

One question I have is... what's the narrowest tire I can put on the stock sawblade? I feel like the factory 225/50R16 size is too wide to be good for snow. Also, if anyone wants to recommend a particular tire that performs well in the snow, please let me know! :)

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Teraka said:
Get studded tires. I've got studded ones for the rear in the winter and it makes a big difference.
actaully be careful with studded tires. In some states/cities it might be against the law. As it tears up the pavement pretty damn good if there is no snow.

Blizzak's are the only way to drive in the snow.

Trust me (from another northerner with a MKIII that has survived about 7 snow falls ;) )

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
drjonez said:
heh. snow in RI? riiiiiiiight. ;)
Maybe not compared to where you are, but last winter here was ridiculous. We had multiple feet of snow some days, and often my road wasn't plowed... Doesn't help that I live on a hill! They're saying this winter's gonna be bad, too... :)

(photo from one of the lesser snowfalls last year, and that's the 240SX I drove through it all :))

Anyway, I appreciate the recommendations... Blizzaks it is! If I go 205, does that affect the profile? Or should 205/50R16 be ok?

Mike

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
buy a winter shitter for the price that you're going to get new snow tires for.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Toyo Observe G-02 Plus here's the link link for these tires, They set me back about $175 Canadian per tire and they're worth every cent. I finally got a chance to use them today after the nasty storm that went thru here. They grip better then Blizzaks (which are on my Lexus GS400).

P.S. the Toyo tires are on my supra (if you hadn't allready guessed :p )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try adding some weight to the rear which might help some until you get some snow tires. I would recomend getting a beater car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have some Yokohama Guardex snowtires (they don't make the model I have anymore) on stock sawblades for my 86.5 . They are like 205/65/16 or something like that, skinnier and taller than stock. I can look at the exact size for you, they might rub if your car is lowered. Before I got those I put two sandbags in the back and that helped alot for not getting stuck on flat icy surfaces from a stop and also for climbing hills, but obvioulsy the snow tires also help all around traction, and in deep snow the extra ground clearance and narrower width help just as much as the deep open tread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts