Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Lag = Foreplay
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so a law was just passed in louisiana that states that our gas will now be a mix of gas and ethonol i belive 50-50 if i heard right. Now as it stands i use either shell v power (93 octane) or chevron premium also 93 in my Daily driven supra.
I have heard alot of bad stories about this gas not being compatable with our cars?? is this true or will i be ok? I know this is a bit off topic but I feel my mk3 brothers will help me out :bowdown:

· Registered
185 Posts
I doubt they would pass that, my 05 Z71 won't run on that, must have no more than 10% ethanol(not flex fuel) so that would park a lot of vehicles in louisiana.
On the other hand we are talking about louisiana......................

· 1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,696 Posts
good thing i don't live there. :)

Could be a rumor, see if its legit....

· Powderin my balls since07
2,702 Posts
speaking of rumors that have nothing to do with your thread.....

apparently in IL, they are gonna cancel all emissions for non OBDII vehicles, meaning all 95 and older are scotch free...if thats tha case...heheheheh maaaaaaaaaaan my cats are ALL coming out...

· Powderin my balls since07
2,702 Posts
Dachande said:
Even if you have no emission laws having an exhaust with no cats is illegal. I'v been ticketed twice for it and we have no emission laws.
threadjacking in progress mustangman....

how tha helldo they pull u over? it smells too rich? wut do they look under ur car for ur cats? how do u get ticketed for that?

· Destroyer of Turbos
4,882 Posts
here in tx they occasionally setup smog trucks on freeway on ramps. they aim 2 sensors in the area of where your exhaust should be (rear of vehicle, left right) and somehow get a reading on it. i have been pulled over once for too high emissions but after showing my exemption (where i have the car registered there isnt any emissions test) he let me go without popping the hood or looking under the car. i now shut the car off and coast through the gates = no emissions :) and restart once past the truck

· Registered
47 Posts
ahmedootie said:
speaking of rumors that have nothing to do with your thread.....

apparently in IL, they are gonna cancel all emissions for non OBDII vehicles, meaning all 95 and older are scotch free...if thats tha case...heheheheh maaaaaaaaaaan my cats are ALL coming out...

they got rid of it here in ohio back in january!! had my test pipe on january 1st!

sucks if they go ahead with the ethonol mix...i doubt they will though. a lot of cars can't run on it. so i they go ahead with it, tell the state to buy you a car that will take it!

· Registered
335 Posts
mustangman05 said:
OK so a law was just passed in louisiana that states that our gas will now be a mix of gas and ethonol i belive 50-50 if i heard right. Now as it stands i use either shell v power (93 octane) or chevron premium also 93 in my Daily driven supra.
I have heard alot of bad stories about this gas not being compatable with our cars?? is this true or will i be ok? I know this is a bit off topic but I feel my mk3 brothers will help me out :bowdown:
The gas station 4 blocks from my house is all 10% ethanol and i've had absolutely zero problems and haven't noticed any knock or powerloss with it. 10% and 50% is quite a difference, but thought i'd chime in :).

· 25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,348 Posts
The 90 gas, 10 ethanol is great fuel. (You do not get as high fuel mileage because the ethanol has less energy in it, but your car runs fine on this.)

The benefit is any water in your fuel generally is removed with the ethanol as it's burned in your motor. (Water and gas do not mix, but water and ethanol mix fine.)

It also raises your octane rating. (Slows down the burn of your fuel, so detonation is less of a problem, and you can run slightly more boost pressure as a result.)

So, on our turbo cars, 10% ethanol is a great way to go. Now add some Toulene to the mix and turn up the boost. (The Toulene is 114 octane, and cleans your fuel system while you run it... ) Just don't run more than 30% toulene or you might have some problems with fuel pump lubrication as the Toulene is a poor lubricant compared to gas. I've also heard stories of old fuel lines drying out and cracking as a result of the toulene, but I belive running less than 30% will have no adverse effects on your car. (Unless you don't like being able to run 25psi of boost with no detonation problems... )

You can buy Toulene at most paint supply stores. Look for reducer or thinner with a very high Toulene content. (Most sell various versions, and xylene is another similar fuel additive used to clean your injectors, and bump up your octane.)

Toulene is/was used as the fuel for F1 cars, so it's a great fuel. (And before our gas prices went nuts, it was sold as solvent for less than 1.50 per gal. if you bought 55gal drums of the stuff.)

If LA just passed a law requireing the fuel to go 50/50, you guys are seriously screwed. Your Supra and 99.9% of the cars/trucks out there will not run on a mix that extreme. Did Ray Nagen come up with this Idea, or, was it your very smart, and oh so funny Gov. support this crazyness? (I could see them both arguing that it was "their" idea when they think it's the right one, and then blaming each other for the disaster when they find out how stupid they are, and ultimately laying the blame on Bush or FEMA for letting them stray too far down the path of crazyness.....)

· Always playing catch up
2,058 Posts
as said, i doubt its that much

how much toulene do you add exactly? (for a full tank of gas and amount, not %)? i know they had a thing about it awhile ago in SCC but never really looked into it

and for non-emission states, your supposed to have it there, doesnt mean they test for it, its like the grandfather clause for emission states, so either get a high-flow cat or hollow the thing out so if they look they cant tell

<l><l>

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
i've run like 90% xylene once for 5 min while I was heading to the pump to fill up on 94.

Car ran like absolute crap spuddering and coughing all over. Also had lots of ATF in there to help lube it up.

Oh yeah, had a HELL of a time starting it.

· Registered
3,965 Posts
yeah, they went to methanol mix and my gas milage went down

so it's not any cheaper to me damnit...

it will never pass though, that was like the crap about taking cars over 15 years or so off the road...that got shot down FAST considering most people can't afford a new car...

· Now with 0JZ
1,215 Posts
People could afford to get their fuel system redone to support the high concentration of ethanol though, IF the gas prices went down due to the hybrid fuel (ethanol is cheaper than gasoline I do believe).

Edit: If I remember correctly, there was one member on this forum that converted his car to run on E85. If he could chime in on what needs to be changed out, that would be helpful.

· Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar
967 Posts
MKIIINA said:
here in tx they occasionally setup smog trucks on freeway on ramps. they aim 2 sensors in the area of where your exhaust should be (rear of vehicle, left right) and somehow get a reading on it. i have been pulled over once for too high emissions but after showing my exemption (where i have the car registered there isnt any emissions test) he let me go without popping the hood or looking under the car. i now shut the car off and coast through the gates = no emissions :) and restart once past the truck
So simple but genius

· Registered
7,853 Posts
if they did they basically just sided every single car that is not flex fuel!

as for the e85

Actually any rubber has got to go. if it is stainless that is ok. Zinc plated a big NO. Fuel pump. If it is not made for flex fuel vehicles needs to go (no walbro). EMS would be ideal.

· Registered
7,853 Posts
ok I just read the bill

www.katc.com said:
BATON ROUGE, La. Governor Kathleen Blanco signed a bill today requiring that ethanol-blended gasoline and other alternative fuels be sold in Louisiana once manufacture of the fuels in the state reaches certain levels.
that is probably the 10% e 90% gasoline.

also to include E85 (falls under alternative fuels).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.