Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and instantly got rid of the little shuddering noises the diff made when making slow, sharp turns while cold. I could only hear it when pulling out of my garage or driveway. Once warmed up, no noise.

I used the Ford diff oil with the LSD additive in the little bottle(Reg Reimer tip) and it works great, completely smooth and quiet now; all of the clutch pack noise is gone.

Anyone else use it?

:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
supraian said:
what size is the filler and drian plug?
Both plugs have a wrench size of 24mm. You'll need two qts of the 80w90 "rear axle lubricant" and one bottle of the LSD additive; about $12 total.

To fill it, I used a clear hose long enough to reach up through the wheel well from the diff - much easier to put the oil back in that way...

Put the LSD stuff in first, and then mine took 1.2 qts of the diff oil.

hth...

·
Registered
492 Posts
wera172 said:
Both plugs have a wrench size of 24mm. You'll need two qts of the 80w90 "rear axle lubricant" and one bottle of the LSD additive; about $12 total.

To fill it, I used a clear hose long enough to reach up through the wheel well from the diff - much easier to put the oil back in that way...

Put the LSD stuff in first, and then mine took 1.2 qts of the diff oil.

hth...
Any particular bands to use for the rear axle lubricant..? same goes for the LSD..?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
lkychrmz79 said:
Any particular bands to use for the rear axle lubricant..? same goes for the LSD..?
Brands?? Yeah, the Ford stuff from the Ford dealer. Seriously! Read my first post. lol. I guess I should've made it more clear...the 80w90 "rear axle lube" is for the differential - I just said it that way because that's how the bottle is labeled to make it easier for those running to the Ford dealer to buy some.

You do have to tell the parts guy that you also need a bottle of LSD additive to go with it. The diff holds a little over a quart, so you'll need to get 2 qts of the diff oil (rear axle lube), and one bottle of the lsd additive will be enough.

Here is the quote from Reg:
2.2: Differential Carriers : Another condition that may trouble your Supras differential is lack of regular oil changes; this will lead to differential failure or premature wear out. The MA-70 differential holds a very small amount of oil so it needs to be changed regularly. Cold climates are very hard on the differential. I recommend using a good quality synthetic in cold climates. I do not recommend standard 80/90 wt oils in any Toyota differentials used in cold climates. Using 75/90-wt LSD differential carrier oil from Ford motor company makes Supra differentials run quieter and smoother than any other oils tested.

Some LSD differentials in MA-70 and MA-71 cars have excessive LSD {limited slip differential} cage pressure causing premature clutch pack failures after some cars have become stuck in mud or snow, I have opened up badly abused differentials where the LSD oil is completely burnt and Dried up from the heat of one wheel smoking while the other is locked. If you notice some chattery noise from the rear of the car when turning corners donít panic: you have a supra with a very tight LSD differential carrier. On a Supra with tight LSD you can avoid the above clutch pack failure by using the previously mentioned LSD differential carrier oil from Ford motor company. This oil has increased protection for the clutch pack and has proven to be the best differential oil for all Supras from 1982 to 1992. Don't ask me why, all I can say is this oil works like magic. Note: A number of club members are using synthetic oils from Amsoil and Esso in their differentials with good results, one word of caution should be noted." Synthetic oils may make a some differentials that are already noisy, noisier."

Here is a link to the whole page:
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonictech/mk3/mk3_pmtn.html

Keep in mind that Ford doesn't make the 75w90 anymore, only the 80w90 that you have to add the lsd additive to.

·
My name's Scruffy.
1,566 Posts
just changed mine..even tho there was barely NOTHING in it. i used what toyota dealership told me to use (75w-90 synthetic). it also leaks but i put gasket sealer on it..hope it works out good

·
Registered
479 Posts
**Edited by Moderator**

Next time instead of posting something incoherent, provides nothing to the thread, and makes no sense whatsoever, just don't post anything at all.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
wera172... can u or any body give me an idea or a MPG/WAV/AVI file of what the "shuddering" sounds actually sound like?
I currently have a sound comming from the back of my car when I turn right or slow down. IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE A STUPID TAMBORENE!!!!
I have put brand new fluid in the rear, and checked for any thing loose including all braking mechanizism (its late and I am a horrible speller any ways soooo shush)
Thanks.

·
Hair Club Member
1,004 Posts
I use the ford diff additive, works great, but it smells worse than death.....I took it to the quickie lube and had them add it. I have an extra bottle that's closed and I can still smell that crap within a foot of so. MMMM LSD oil...:)

CWD
Boise

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mdcmotorsports said:
wera172... can u or any body give me an idea or a MPG/WAV/AVI file of what the "shuddering" sounds actually sound like?
I currently have a sound comming from the back of my car when I turn right or slow down. IT SOUNDS JUST LIKE A STUPID TAMBORENE!!!!
I have put brand new fluid in the rear, and checked for any thing loose including all braking mechanizism (its late and I am a horrible speller any ways soooo shush)
Thanks.
Sorry MDC...since my car no longer makes the noise after the fluid change, it would be tough to duplicate it again.

I can tell you this - I could only hear it when first pulling out of my garage when the car was cold and made a slight turn. It didn't sound like a "tamborene", but a mechanical creep/shudder. It didn't last long - only a couple of seconds as the car turned.

Wish I could be more help...PM/email me if you want.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You do not have to use the Ford gear axle fluid, just the stuff in the little bottle.

Fords gear axle fluid is the same as any other 75W90 or 85W90 on the market...

Don't pay a premium...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts