Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I upgraded my t04bwith a .58 to a t04R with a .68 housing. The powerband is 100 times better. While the .58 spooled fast and had instant power, the .68 is a muich more liniar powerband. Easier to drive (and control) in a day to day situation. When I had a 7m gte i had the stock turbo upgraded to a 60-1. that thing spooled so fast the car would loose traction in 1st thru 3rd gear. It was a pain to drive in the wet since it required me to drive like i had an egg under my foot. with the .68 I still have to watch how much gas I give it, i can floor it and not worry (as much) about the tires sliding.

Is it just me or is a .68 (or larger) a better choice for a daily driver?

Discuss.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Ckanderson said:
When I had a 7m gte i had the stock turbo upgraded to a 60-1. that thing spooled so fast the car would loose traction in 1st thru 3rd gear. It was a pain to drive in the wet since it required me to drive like i had an egg under my foot.
I have a similar problem with just the stock turbo, esp. in 3rd. I would like to hear some feed back about this as well, will help make a decision about upgrading the turbo when this one dies.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Assuming you had enough room under the wheel well, and wide enough rims to support them, wouldn’t simply getting wider/stickier tires solve this? Torque is a good thing, assuming you can use it to propel you forward.

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
myMUSICveins said:
Assuming you had enough room under the wheel well, and wide enough rims to support them, wouldn’t simply getting wider/stickier tires solve this? Torque is a good thing, assuming you can use it to propel you forward.
not everyone can afford to buy brand new tires after just spending a few thousand dollars on a new turbo and other supporting things?? I know i damn well couldnt.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
myMUSICveins said:

ANNNNNNNNNNNNND again... wider tires do NOT = better straight line traction. Also I had Sumitomo HTR Z's (IIRC) and they are quite good tires.

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Ckanderson said:
ANNNNNNNNNNNNND again... wider tires do NOT = better straight line traction. Also I had Sumitomo HTR Z's (IIRC) and they are quite good tires.
ANNNNNNNNND why not? Wouldnt a wider tire give you more of a contact patch, thus resulting in more tire on the ground for grip, thus increasing traction??

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope... Keep it on topic.

·
fbody to supra to fbody
2,015 Posts
Wider wheels should help more, no? (coupled with a wider tire). Is a 315 as effective on a 9.5" wide rim as on an 11" rim? Just a thought.

And to stay on topic,whatever suits you is better for your daily driver. My "lag" doesn't bother me. Then again it's not my daily driver.

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
MASHedDough said:
ANNNNNNNNND why not? Wouldnt a wider tire give you more of a contact patch, thus resulting in more tire on the ground for grip, thus increasing traction??

Basically helps in cornering. I could break out my old physics shit if you want me to explain it in detail. I used to remmember all this stuff... lol

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
peelin out

wider tire means less weight is displaced on each sq in of contact patch, so you are looking for nice sticky tires in a reasonable size, not cheap tires that are stupid wide. many cars run into the 10's on 9 inch wide 275 street tires, so consider your powertrain, suspension and launch, as well as your tires in building a tractable setup

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
XFFE said:
not everyone can afford to buy brand new tires after just spending a few thousand dollars on a new turbo and other supporting things?? I know i damn well couldnt.
What in the world does this have to with funding? Stop assuming other peoples financial standings.
Ckanderson said:
Nice, you don't have to be a prick about it. Notice I did say wider/STICKIER tires. I was not talking about your car in specific, but about traction/tires in general. So please don't get your panties in a bind, I'm sure your tires are fabulous, along with you AMAZING poopra. :rolleyes:

I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, now you have me looking for the thread we had back in the day about traction and tire width.

edit:

I found a couple theads relevant, seems it's not so black and white.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189264&highlight=traction+tire+width+contact+patch
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...2&highlight=traction+tire+width+contact+patch

Ckanderson said:
Yea, i got schooled on this earlier, thats why i havent said anthing more. although wide tires looks friggen awesome.
Seems like you might have once thought wider tires automatically meant more traction as well, too bad you now act like your shit don't stink.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
myMUSICveins said:
Nice, you don't have to be a prick about it. Notice I did say wider/STICKIER tires. I was not talking about your car in specific, but about traction/tires in general. So please don't get your panties in a bind, I'm sure your tires are fabulous, along with you AMAZING poopra. :rolleyes:

I dont know what MY car has to do with this. If you like my AMAZING Supra... thats cool. Thanks! And those tires that I have are some of the cheapest max performance tires you can buy, thats why I get them. I dont like my threads going off topic. people with posts like yours make them off topic.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i recently moved up to a sp61gt and it is alot easier to control boost now. traction has become an issue but thats beside the point. i drove it in the rain recently and theres a more linear feel to the power (until you hit 6psi then its over) where it just starts pushing you into the seat.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
My last turbo setup was on a GT60 w/ .68 exhaust housing. There was very little lag to speak of with that setup. I also had a To4e w/ a .60 cold side and .69 exhaust. That turbo had very little lag too. I don't know what the complaint about it is either. If you know how to drive and can keep it in the powerband, it's no big deal.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even if you dont keep it "in the powerband" it is still a VERY drivable setup. I have 2.5 liters which is a dissadvantage. but even at 3k I have ~5 psi which is more then enough pull. If i truly need passing power, i downshift, which is what you should do anyways, small housing or not.

I belive the .68 is the almost perfect exhaust size housing for the Supra, unless your looking for a Super high flow monster, which many of us (expecialy mk3 guys) are not. A .58 spools almost too fast, mine would come on mid corner, way to fast, and quite a few times caused the back end to break loose.. the .68 is not without that. but is not a sudden jolt.

·
Registered
249 Posts
yea bigger turbos are harder to drive.... but if you have skills to control them its fine. on the track everyone wants something easier to control. if you have a big ass laggy turbo its going to affect your times. when you are exiting turns you want to floor it as soon as possible and with a bigger turbo it makes exiting turns a little trickier. the larger turbo makes the rear "shakey" coming out of the turns and not as smooth as a smaller turbo.... but if u can keep it under control you shouldnt have much problems. you have to admit driving a car with a stock turbo and a laggy turbo the stock one is easier to drive. not everyone has the skills to drive a big turbo. but if trent can control it better than his old setups, it should be an advantage to him. I have no doubt trent has the skills to drive a big turbo, big turbos are not for everyone. even small turbos get alot of people into trouble. Louis

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are talking about 2 different things. I am claiming the lag of a larger exhaust housing makes the car easier to drive. your reading it as if we are nessisarily talking about larger compressor wheels, which is not the point. For sure tons of power can be hard to control, and many people simply dont have the skills nessisary. I know the first time i floored my 60-1 ct 26 I almost shit myself. but a lerger exhust housing would have caused less tire spin, and a more progressive power application, which for me, would have been more controlable.. do you agree?

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts

i feel everyone is correct, as each setup varies depending on the driver and car
i have 2 supras, one is a JDM JZA70, pretty stock engine 1JZ
the other is a 1JZ swap with a massive single and double the power

the stock one peels harder when the twins spool up, the larger turbo gives the car more power all the way through, but you do lose that little squeeze of the twins kicking in that would usually kick the tires out

but of course the single peels out 3 gears if you drop the clutch on boost

also consider that a stock car may smoke the tires at 45 mph in 2nd gear, but a heavily modified one can maybe be going over 80 mph in 2nd, and is more likely to be just rocketing down the road at that speed than peeling out

if you have traction troubles at 80+ mph, well then holy shit

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did... once at 60 mph i hit a small wet spot in 4th.(this part of the roadways was ALWAYS slippery).. thats SCARY.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts