Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 Turbo with about 197k on it took it to a shop to get a few things fixed guy told me to replace it soon because they have a bad habit of blowing. Was he blowing smoke up my arse or no? thanks

·
Overlooked
4,677 Posts
70 to 72 doesn't matter but 54 (stock) to 72 does. Run a compression check and leak down test to make sure you don't have a BHG. And yes they are common but only if you mistreat your car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
70 to 72 doesn't matter but 54 (stock) to 72 does. Run a compression check and leak down test to make sure you don't have a BHG. And yes they are common but only if you mistreat your car.
197k miles and haven't had any showings of a BHG just getting a valve cover gasket replaced (bad oil leak) other than that nothing at all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If I were you, I'd just replace the hg to save you having to do it later on down the track.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah I can attest to the HG problem. I have a 90 Turbo and it has 192,000 miles on it and it blew. I'm still waiting on all the parts for the rebuild. You might just want to replace it like LIl Miss MkIII said. Less head achje later down the road.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Lol.

All 7M owners go through this at one point or another, it's not that bad.

Either you pay the money now or later.

If you can't afford it, you may not be suited to being a MkIII owner ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
if it's not an issue, then get it done now.

You can save money by following some of the step-by-step hg replacement threads and doing it yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much does it normally run to have a shop replace a BHG before it blows ball park me.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Use a metal head gasket is you have big power goals. If you are going to stock route use a composit head gasket...OEM or felpro. Also ARP studs>ARP bolts>OEM stretch bolts

·
Registered
588 Posts
i picked up my teal with a BHG, i did it myself took my time and i replaced everything. its not to hard and its a great learning process about the supra :), but use ARP hardware and a MHG if you plan on making more power then stock.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Make sure you get the head checked by a machine shop. If you go the MHG route then you need to get the block machined too. I used to work with a guy (real asshole) who had a MK3 with a BHG and we literally had an argument about machining the head. He actually took a buffer to the mating surface of the head and thought that would be good enough. One week later he was BHG again and I was laughing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
^ Haha, dumbass got what he deserved. As far as a shop price, the shop down the road from me charges $4500!
Sounds like to me they just don't want to do them. To get a shop to do it you would probably be looking between $1000-$1800 or atleast in my area you would.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts