Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Shaq who?
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says I lost both sets of my keys, well I had my ignition re-keyed about 2years ago so I can't call Toyota and get a new key made. So I call the place that re-keyed my ignition and ask if they can make me a key, they reply with they don't have me on file anymore and can't help me out. So I asked them to re-key the ignition.

Now they come to my house and look at the ignition and say "We can't do this cause your steering wheel is locked and the ignition can't be popped without a key, and i'm not gonna take apart your column to get to the ignition, call the dealer or something other then that, sorry can't help you.....". So I decide to take out the ignition and bring it to them to drill it out.......2 hours later I walk into the lock place and they were all stunned...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Holy hell that looks like a bit of work...I only have one friggin key *goes to have 10 keys made*

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Just came back from having two made. I lost the first one and the second one was for a Ford...dumbass...despite the original saying "TOYOTA" on it, and he even asked me "what car is this for?" I said "Toyota Supra" and he tried to fit it in all the holes...finally picks one, makes it, I try it, and its too fucking think :jerkit:

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
Just came back from having two made. I lost the first one and the second one was for a Ford...dumbass...despite the original saying "TOYOTA" on it, and he even asked me "what car is this for?" I said "Toyota Supra" and he tried to fit it in all the holes...finally picks one, makes it, I try it, and its too fucking think :jerkit:
The best place to get a new key is at Toyota IMO. I love keys cut from the code. A locksmith should be able to do it too, but Toyota will give you a key for like $5, (unless you want an original key, then it costs more). I've gotten 2 keys cut from Toyota for my Corolla, 1 was a key they provided and the other was when I ordered in a Corolla master key and had it cut (costed about 3x more).

Both work so good... I love it.

Reactions: Storko

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
The best place to get a new key is at Toyota IMO. I love keys cut from the code. A locksmith should be able to do it too, but Toyota will give you a key for like $5, (unless you want an original key, then it costs more). I've gotten 2 keys cut from Toyota for my Corolla, 1 was a key they provided and the other was when I ordered in a Corolla master key and had it cut (costed about 3x more).

Both work so good... I love it.
Once I get everything situated, I may do that one day. Take out the passenger lock, get another original key, and wear it around my neck instead of the actual original.

·
Registered
201 Posts
While on the topic of keys. I purchased a complete glovebox on Ebay. Everything is fine but it never came with a key. What is the best method of getting another? Just get a locksmith? Perhaps I should just forget about locking it. At least the glovebox closes now.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Curt @ Elmhurst

Dude, call Curt @ elmhurst toyota for your keys.

I did a couple months ago, and I got them for like $9-11 bucks per key. All you have to give him is your VIN number, and you're hooked up.

Mine worked really well, original key, that even opens the trunk. The one with the black moulding is more expensive, but it has the toyota on it.

give Curt a call, and if you're luck, you'll probably even get a key ring.....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Cydnei said:

I did a couple months ago, and I got them for like $9-11 bucks per key. All you have to give him is your VIN number, and you're hooked up.

Mine worked really well, original key, that even opens the trunk. The one with the black moulding is more expensive, but it has the toyota on it.

he said he had the ignition rekeyed already, so a key from toyota would be useless

·
7M Love
735 Posts
Storko said:
While on the topic of keys. I purchased a complete glovebox on Ebay. Everything is fine but it never came with a key. What is the best method of getting another? Just get a locksmith? Perhaps I should just forget about locking it. At least the glovebox closes now.
From what I understand, the code for the key is inside the lock in the glove compartment. I think it is stamped on there or something. Take that code to toyota and have them cut a new key. Correct me if I'm wrong :p.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fozbo said:
From what I understand, the code for the key is inside the lock in the glove compartment. I think it is stamped on there or something. Take that code to toyota and have them cut a new key. Correct me if I'm wrong :p.
Many thanks I'll check that out. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
what does a lock key code look like?
i took the lock out of my glove box and don't see any code on it. there is a number stamped in white Characters on the black plastic under the cover that covers the lock on the right side of the glove box. it is in the form XX YYYYY
could this be it? seems kinda long....

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
Cydnei said:

What year is your car? I went to my local Toyota dealer to have a key cut from the VIN for my 89 and they said they couldn't do it because the car was too old and they didn't have the record for it. The guy said the cutoff date was around 90-92. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts