Supra Forums banner

241 - 260 of 297 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Supra Turbo R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
419 Posts
Yeah, no black dashes as I remember. They were all color coded with the interior. Dashes are hit or miss out here in CA. In the parts yards I have only seen the burgundy dashes intact. Anything grey or blue has always been cracked..

Mine car, thankfully, is fully intact.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Thought I finally had found a door card

massive fail looks I’m converting to pre 89 doors, speakers, etc or I have a door card for sale.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you only have the drivers door card? I actually converted my speakers to the 6.5 housings from a 91, yet I run my 87 door cards.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
On the speaker front, unless you will be running judged sound competitions, hacking the door cards is really not needed. The metal bracket that holds the cover is just structural.

The mids, regardless of size, wont improve imaging or staging in the OEM location. Add to that the plethora of issues around doors which cause a resonance around the 800hz-1.2khz region and you can throw in there Rainbows, MB Quarts or Focals, won't help.

With that said, the placement of the Mids in this picture would be better and I know that bottom part is removable.

·
Registered
848 Posts
On the speaker front, unless you will be running judged sound competitions, hacking the door cards is really not needed. The metal bracket that holds the cover is just cosmetic and structural.

The mids, regardless of size, wont improve imaging or staging in the OEM location. Add to that the plethora of issues around doors which cause a resonance around the 800hz-1.2khz region and you can throw in there Rainbows, MB Quarts or Focals, won't help.

With that said, the placement of the Mids in this picture would be better and I know that bottom part is removable.

View attachment 251862
Stuff like this makes me glad I am not an audiophile, I'd hate to cut up a good door panel just to get "better" than OEM sound.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Stuff like this makes me glad I am not an audiophile, I'd hate to cut up a good door panel just to get "better" than OEM sound.
It actually ends up reproducing the recording along with the staging correctly. Again, not needed unless you are OCD in the audio department or are doing Audio competition where those items are all judged.

with your statement, stick with the OEM sizing and call it a day that way no hacking is needed. It will produce noise that resembles music and that is it :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Great responses and in this car I am no audiophile. I’m happy for something that plays cd’s and has air conditioning and drives straight. It’s a 45 minute twisty turny back road drive to work.

currently only in possession of the one door panel working on procurement of the rest of the parts. I’m thinking about doing something with the speaker pods but for the moment the old style door card covers the larger 91 speakers. I cranked up Siamese Dream CD in the Camry 16814 head unit and I couldn’t tell a difference in Billy Corgans vocals @figgie amirite

I really like this door tho, it’s better than the one I had.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's exactly what mine looks like right now. I put the 6.5 brackets in, and I kept the stock 87 door cards. I absolutely did not want to cut up my door panels for larger speakers so I compromised.

In my setup, I made custom brackets that attach to the inside of the side view mirrors for tweeters so they sit at the perfect height and angle to be heard. Stock Supra stereo, small Alpine amp, and 2 10" subs in the back and it works fine for my needs. Bluetooth FM transmitter so I use my phone for music.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Ooooff.

Not sure why run massive speakers with only about 30% of the area available to go through the door card. Could have saved the coin and ran smaller 5.25.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,180 Posts
On the speaker front, unless you will be running judged sound competitions, hacking the door cards is really not needed. The metal bracket that holds the cover is just structural.

View attachment 251862
Someone was making a 3d printed tweeter for the side pillar where most cars have them now.. I don't know what happened to that project, I tried to get someone locally to do it but failed years ago because he didn't really have the skill to print it or design it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
@figgie I originally tried to just upgrade my 4" speakers with good Fosgate ones, as well as the rear. I discovered the rear isn't really a standard speaker size, so I eventually scrapped that. No matter what I did the 4" speakers just couldn't produce good sound.

I happened to be at the parts yard and came upon a 91 that still had the speakers in it. I was able to snag the mounts, and then just get some entry level Fosgate 6.5s with crossover and satellite tweeter i mounted up by the pillars. I had to take the original tweeter out, do a bit of rewiring and swap out the connector plug from the 91. In the end my new speaker box is plug and play and removable.

The key thing though is that I put an Alpine 4x75w small amp under the seat and did the wiring that splices it into the OEM stereo. I finished it off with a simple dual 10" ported box in the back that fits nicely in the hatch with 2 Fosgate entry levels.

Once I got it balanced out, it sounded just like the 80s :ROFLMAO: (a mix of power and light distortion) I added the bluetooth FM adapter and it sounds good enough to just take a drive and enjoy. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to Iron Maiden, The Eagles, or some old dance music. The 6.5's can handle the crossed over power for mid and high, and the subs just give me that small low end that makes everything sound great.

I was driving around town the other evening just enjoying the Stones, Satisfaction...... "when I'm driving in my car....and the man comes on the radio ... " :p

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Ooooff.

Not sure why run massive speakers with only about 30% of the area available to go through the door card. Could have saved the coin and ran smaller 5.25.
I just want to say that prior to listening to the sage advice this forum had to offer I went out and sourced a set of upgraded pre 89 speaker pods for my new door panel(panels when the other arrives) and pioneer 5.25s sound like garbage compared to the OEM Fujitsu stamped 89+ 6.5s, regardless of door panel. What’s covered or not covered made no difference, and once yes I used Siamese Dream and only Siamese Dream to make this judgement.I listened to multiple tracks, sure.

ive had that CD for 11 cars please try to argue with me objectively erm subjective like 😂 I know what I’ve got don’t try to lowball me. I just waited until 10pm at night so I didn’t sweat nuts to install some speakers and by golly I sweated nuts and wasted that time I’ll never get back thanks me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Pham, Have enjoyed reading your thread and the input from others. Great job on your rebuild! It's inspiring. I'm prepping to get my '87 7MGE running again after sitting for 10 years or so. BHG after a complete rebuild. For reasons that are my own fault. I won't hijack your thread and will start my own, just letting you know some of the info passed along on yours has been invaluable! Staying tuned for more progress!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Hi Pham, Have enjoyed reading your thread and the input from others. Great job on your rebuild! It's inspiring. I'm prepping to get my '87 7MGE running again after sitting for 10 years or so. BHG after a complete rebuild. For reasons that are my own fault. I won't hijack your thread and will start my own, just letting you know some of the info passed along on yours has been invaluable! Staying tuned for more progress!
Absolutely thanks for tuning in. I too have very much appreciated the information and feedback here especially from a lot of the OGs. I’ve been around along time myself but I’ve consumed more information than I’ve shared back. I’ve approached this car as dumb as possible, I’m not new to the internet and I do believe the forum format is far superior to any other hypertext Google SEO medium. I’m on the cusp of 40 and 90’s car have always been my favorite because that’s when I was a teenager and these are the cars I couldn’t have.

edit: good luck with your build and feel free to highjack and link me to anything you’d like

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely thanks for tuning in. I too have very much appreciated the information and feedback here especially from a lot of the OGs. I’ve been around along time myself but I’ve consumed more information than I’ve shared back. I’ve approached this car as dumb as possible, I’m not new to the internet and I do believe the forum format is far superior to any other hypertext Google SEO medium. I’m on the cusp of 40 and 90’s car have always been my favorite because that’s when I was a teenager and these are the cars I couldn’t have.

edit: good luck with your build and feel free to highjack and link me to anything you’d like
Thanks...although my profile is new, I'd been active years ago. Easier to start over than figure out passwords and email accounts. I know for certain I will be faced with some of the same rebuilds/reconditioning as you. I know I will need shocks/struts, rotors & callipers. And probably a variety of suspension bushings. I already have Stop Tech rotors for the front and new Goodridge flex lines (not installed, purchased 10 years ago). I'll probably try to rebuild the callipers. I'm pretty sure choices for shocks/struts are pretty limited. My car is absolutely stock and in very good condition inside and out, and I intend to keep it that way. I'm lucky that even with it not being well stored it has survived surprisingly well. No leaks! I'm a little more advance in age than you and this car was purchased as a project for my 16 YO son and I. When the head gasket blew after the rebuild it broke my heart. Life got in the way and it just sat there mocking me. With the crazy new covid world I've not had to travel for work and am getting lots of stuff done at home that's been put off. The Supra is next!

·
90T
459 Posts
The thing that really made a difference for me was a sub in the spare tire. Its nothing great, an OEM Bose from a Nissan Murano, but wow did it add the missing bass that no amount of swapping 6.5" door speakers was ever going to fix. That, along with autoequalization using a microphone that's part of most decent new stereos finally made me happy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
@1brickman 10 years seems to be a common theme. I finally said enough was enough and spent the time and effort to make mine a daily driver capable car again, after 2 back to back 10 year periods.

For what its worth, I let my long time indy mechanic restore my brakes. In short, I needed a complete rebuild at each wheel. I got calipers, discs, pads, hardware, brake lines at each corner. My master cylinder was still in good shape, as he had replaced it for me in 2008 and I had literally put less than 500 miles on the car since then.

For shocks I got these at Driftmotion and they seem to be a good mix between stiff and a good ride.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Thanks...although my profile is new, I'd been active years ago. Easier to start over than figure out passwords and email accounts. I know for certain I will be faced with some of the same rebuilds/reconditioning as you. I know I will need shocks/struts, rotors & callipers. And probably a variety of suspension bushings. I already have Stop Tech rotors for the front and new Goodridge flex lines (not installed, purchased 10 years ago). I'll probably try to rebuild the callipers. I'm pretty sure choices for shocks/struts are pretty limited. My car is absolutely stock and in very good condition inside and out, and I intend to keep it that way. I'm lucky that even with it not being well stored it has survived surprisingly well. No leaks! I'm a little more advance in age than you and this car was purchased as a project for my 16 YO son and I. When the head gasket blew after the rebuild it broke my heart. Life got in the way and it just sat there mocking me. With the crazy new covid world I've not had to travel for work and am getting lots of stuff done at home that's been put off. The Supra is next!
I'm out driving the car to work again today, I'm only coming to the actual office on Mondays and Wednesday at this point. The Aerospace/Airplane industry is pretty stagnant at the moment and I've setup 17 people working from home since the pandemic started - not a lot of use for a computer ninja these days in the office.

Anyways, I had a woman driving by stop and talk to me getting gas about the car, AND two gentleman who wanted to know if I'd sell it because they used to have one too - on my way to work this morning. The woman was probably 70 years old and knew exactly what it was "IS TAHT A SOOOPRA?". Everyone had something nice to say about the interior and condition of the car. That's a nice feeling. One guy was telling me about a hard cover dash cover that sounded really interesting. The car's not for sale but if I did have to quote a price I'd start at $10k for the MKIII and see what happens from there. If the dash was pristine I'd ask $15k

Fun story, right after I bought this car my wife wanted to 1) pay off her car 2) trade it in for another car, except I said Nope 3) enjoy having no car payments for awhile. My wife really really really does not like the MKIII, but for that matter she doesn't like the MKIV either. I have 4 cars and she has one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
The thing that really made a difference for me was a sub in the spare tire. Its nothing great, an OEM Bose from a Nissan Murano, but wow did it add the missing bass that no amount of swapping 6.5" door speakers was ever going to fix. That, along with autoequalization using a microphone that's part of most decent new stereos finally made me happy.
I've read about this and checked into the Murano subs - looks nice. I'm not at this point yet where I want to do upgrades on the MKIII but G37 sedan could use a sub and there's a OEM location in the trunk I know you can splice into for a signal.

241 - 260 of 297 Posts