Supra Forums banner

321 - 340 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
536 Posts
^^ Also, all my gear picks were based on affordability and actual use. For example, by using the OEM radio, by default I am limited in my options and sound quality. With that in mind, and also the fact my Supra is a good times car, not a daily driver, I went with cost effective parts. I could just as easily have put in a 2020 head unit with back up camera, GPS, SAT radio and all that, with even better quality speakers.

That was not my objective. I was trying to stay as original as possible, and still am. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^ Also, all my gear picks were based on affordability and actual use. For example, by using the OEM radio, by default I am limited in my options and sound quality. With that in mind, and also the fact my Supra is a good times car, not a daily driver, I went with cost effective parts. I could just as easily have put in a 2020 head unit with back up camera, GPS, SAT radio and all that, with even better quality speakers.

That was not my objective. I was trying to stay as original as possible, and still am. :)
Yeah, same objective here. Although I think it's pretty clear at this point that if I want to go with aftermarket speakers with an older OEM head unit, I'm going to have to supplement the system with a proper external amp similar to your setup.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yep, and honestly my setup models exactly what we were doing in the ....*ahem... 80's :cool: , before we ripped out stock to go with higher end head units, dual amps and all that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
I had the front bumper cover and only the front bumper cover paint+body work done in 050 Super White II like the door jamb says

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #328 (Edited)
How does it match in person? Looks good in pics.
Looks pretty good overall no regrets really. Couple things: on that first pic above the passenger front quarter is obviously not Super White II, darker shade of white with more cream color in it :(
Pin striping on the front nose piece (which wasn't painted or touched at all) is black, not blue like the rest of the car. So that sucks.
It matches alright and it's better than the messed up bumper cover I had. Plus it still has all the metal supports so it hasn't bacon'd.

AC seems to have stopped blowing cold again and on the Low pressure side my gauge is reading way too damn high many psi. More AC troubleshooting in my future.

Still leaks Power steering fluid. Trying to get a rack off facebook MK3 group

Probably will work on getting the original rims powder coated or painted next to match but those I'm definitely doing in 050 Super White II

Edit: also have had one more instance of the car not starting while hot or after running for awhile. Took the kids to advance auto parts, turned car off, immediately tested it to see if it would fire back up and it did. Then went inside the store for 10 minutes and came back out and it would turn over but not crank. I checked my zip-tie job on my CPS connector and wires and everything was tight, connected. I went ahead an unplugged that damn cold start injector connector again and the car cranked. SO idk wtf is up there, just leaving the cold start injector switch unplugged and disabled going forward.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
More pics from this morning, drove her to work today. Running and driving well. Braking and cornering well. No vibration or speed wobbles, pleasant to drive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
looks damn good . do you have people coming up to you asking what it is. I was getting fuel a few months back and some guy came to me and said that's one nice trans am you got, talking about how much it would be work if I fixed it up. it took so much for me not to laugh at this guy. after I told him it was a supra, he said it couldn't be. weirdest conversation I have ever had. cant wait to get mine rolling again.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
looks damn good . do you have people coming up to you asking what it is. I was getting fuel a few months back and some guy came to me and said that's one nice trans am you got, talking about how much it would be work if I fixed it up. it took so much for me not to laugh at this guy. after I told him it was a supra, he said it couldn't be. weirdest conversation I have ever had. cant wait to get mine rolling again.
Absolutely, yep but you know, that's the supra life boiz!!!!

I'll be happy when I get some better rims and/or get the original rims sorted out and painted. My brother in law and me are toying with the idea of a set of seriously aggressive Volk TE-37's 19's in gunmetal that he has on his 350z. The wheels I have on this car were previously on his 350z and then before that they were on my MKIV. I believe they are ADR's but we can't remember anymore. This is just the go-to set of staggered 18's when I need a spare set of rims that I know are balanced and true.

Enjoying my chinese FleaBay plug-in USB + AUX box. I need to go out and snap a pic and show ya'll how I mounted that. There was a pre-existing hole drilled in the interior for the mount for an old bag cell phone and I repurposed that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
I don't know if anyone noticed but I'm rocking euro bubble front marker lights. I've recently secured a set of facelift euro clear/amber turn signals as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
that's awesome .. i should be starting my rebuild in the next 2 weeks. I cant wait. pulling the 7m and we building it. I was told on shop time it should take 30 hours. thats working on it everyday for the next month after work and possibly weekends .

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah I parked mine in the garage for now. I've been so busy otherwise but I'm getting the list together for replacing my head gasket. What kills me is digging that far into the engine, I see this on ebay: Toyota Supra Remanufactured Engine Turbo 3.0L 7MGTE OEM 7M-GTE 1987 - 1992 | eBay

I live just the other side of L.A. so I could pick this up for free. NOT that I have an engine hoist (my neighbor does) or I've ever replaced an engine before :ROFLMAO: But I see this "relatively" low cost core unit, walk out into the garage, and the car says to me: "uhhhh no. You're not going there lol.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've been so busy otherwise but I'm getting the list together for replacing my head gasket. What kills me is digging that far into the engine, I see this on ebay: Toyota Supra Remanufactured Engine Turbo 3.0L 7MGTE OEM 7M-GTE 1987 - 1992 | eBay
Always be questionable about reman engines. Especially from a seller with a 50% positive feedback. You'd get 6 months out of that motor if you're lucky.

My brother in law and me are toying with the idea of a set of seriously aggressive Volk TE-37's 19's in gunmetal that he has on his 350z.
While TEs are definitely nice, 19s are extremely difficult to make look proper on a MK3. Aggressive offset 19s are a significantly harder prospect. Aside from the fake wheel bolts your current wheels don't look too bad at all.

Couple things: on that first pic above the passenger front quarter is obviously not Super White II, darker shade of white with more cream color in it :(
Hard to tell from your pictures, but if you're referring to the fender it might look a little more pure white than super white.

Pin striping on the front nose piece (which wasn't painted or touched at all) is black, not blue like the rest of the car.
An easy fix for a competent paint shop if you decide to have that changed. They likely won't have the pinstriping on hand but can typically track it down easily.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #337 (Edited)
Always be questionable about reman engines. Especially from a seller with a 50% positive feedback. You'd get 6 months out of that motor if you're lucky.

While TEs are definitely nice, 19s are extremely difficult to make look proper on a MK3. Aggressive offset 19s are a significantly harder prospect. Aside from the fake wheel bolts your current wheels don't look too bad at all.

Hard to tell from your pictures, but if you're referring to the fender it might look a little more pure white than super white.

An easy fix for a competent paint shop if you decide to have that changed. They likely won't have the pinstriping on hand but can typically track it down easily.
@Captain I’m too lazy to do individual quotes on my phone:

Yeah I doubt the TE’s happen they rub fenders on the 350z prior to rolling. I’m not rolling any fenders for a set of rims on this car, rest assured. But haven’t tried test fitting yet... I need to at least see what it looks like amirite?

The fake bolts are funny, I might go try to unscrew some and see what happens... might be glued on. I snapped a set of bronze knock-off “Rays” center caps on there for ultimate hilarity. I wouldn’t mind something similar tho in white. I’ve been eye balling a set of Rotiforms too my wallet won’t let me buy. I’m definitely going to refinish the OEM white rims but couldn’t say if I’ll drive on them much even after I do.

I took a lot of pics trying to just let you guys get a feel for the shade(s) of white and lightning at daybreak. Overall I am pleased with the look. I agree the pinstriping on the front cone is easy enough to correct.

I know I said I was keeping it OEM but I’m pretty excited about the clear/amber euro turn signals. And then finally, I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing upgrading intercooler. Nothing fancy but I’d prefer something mostly plug and play that utilizes inlet and outlet on same side like the stock 7MGTE intercooler?

Suggestions? The car is driving well and boosting well currently. Was thinking about having a thorough transmission flush done on it even though it’s shifting well but idk the last time the transmission has had any love.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I’m too lazy to do individual quotes on my phone:
I am to lazy to even try posting from my phone :ROFLMAO:

I need to at least see what it looks like amirite?
Yes. And post pics.

The fake bolts are funny, I might go try to unscrew some and see what happens... might be glued on.
I've seen quite a few where it's an actual bolt that's only 10mm long and threaded into the wheel. I knew a guy a while back that had some wheels like that that he had converted to 3 piece wheels using the fake bolt holes. Nothing like sinking $3k into a set of $300 Discount Tire wheels, but I found it entertaining.

I took a lot of pics trying to just let you guys get a feel for the shade(s) of white and lightning at daybreak.
Pictures are almost always impossible to tell a real difference on. There were time when I'd have a car perfectly matched in the booth, with both booth lighting and the sun gun, only to roll it out in the sun and the color not match. 2 hours of resentment and disappointment later you go out to move the car back in and now the paint matches because the sun is now 20° west from where it was earlier.

Super white can also be a bit different to match as the factor paint is single stage and most body shops tend to use 2 stage. You may get real close but I've never seen a perfect match.

Dont get me started on the 11 different paint codes for super white

I know I said I was keeping it OEM but I’m pretty excited about the clear/amber euro turn signals.
Still mostly OEM, just not specifically to your particular car.

And then finally, I’ve been toying with the idea of replacing upgrading intercooler. Nothing fancy but I’d prefer something mostly plug and play that utilizes inlet and outlet on same side like the stock 7MGTE intercooler?
Off the shelf there really isn't anything that works good. Whatever you do, don't go with the dual pass IC that Driftmotion sells just because it's cheap and available. As I've been unable to locate a proper HKS IC kit I'll likely end up fabricating a vertical flow IC for my daily. Won't be cheap but I would certainly consider it before going with a half measure for the sake of ease.

Was thinking about having a thorough transmission flush done on it even though it’s shifting well but idk the last time the transmission has had any love.
Pretty sure it wouldn't hurt and then you'll have the peace of mind knowing that it's been done.

Reactions: pham

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
I am to lazy to even try posting from my phone :ROFLMAO:

Yes. And post pics.

I've seen quite a few where it's an actual bolt that's only 10mm long and threaded into the wheel. I knew a guy a while back that had some wheels like that that he had converted to 3 piece wheels using the fake bolt holes. Nothing like sinking $3k into a set of $300 Discount Tire wheels, but I found it entertaining.

Pictures are almost always impossible to tell a real difference on. There were time when I'd have a car perfectly matched in the booth, with both booth lighting and the sun gun, only to roll it out in the sun and the color not match. 2 hours of resentment and disappointment later you go out to move the car back in and now the paint matches because the sun is now 20° west from where it was earlier.

Super white can also be a bit different to match as the factor paint is single stage and most body shops tend to use 2 stage. You may get real close but I've never seen a perfect match.

Dont get me started on the 11 different paint codes for super white

Still mostly OEM, just not specifically to your particular car.

Off the shelf there really isn't anything that works good. Whatever you do, don't go with the dual pass IC that Driftmotion sells just because it's cheap and available. As I've been unable to locate a proper HKS IC kit I'll likely end up fabricating a vertical flow IC for my daily. Won't be cheap but I would certainly consider it before going with a half measure for the sake of ease.

Pretty sure it wouldn't hurt and then you'll have the peace of mind knowing that it's been done.
So @Captain not this kit:

The CXRacing kits look way too overkill and aftermarket for what I’m looking for.

·
Registered
916 Posts
That's the one. The quality might be pretty good but the performance will not be very good. Due to the design of it and the fact that moving air doesn't like to do a 180°, you're going to get a fair bit of an increase in lag and probably even a moderate drop in boost pressure.

The better option would be this one:
7M-GTE Intercooler Kit
The design is similar to the HKS kit in that it keeps the air flowing in a more natural manner.

321 - 340 of 380 Posts