Supra Forums banner

341 - 360 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
As of yesterday my AC clutch will no longer engage, not even manually when I send it 12v, so it looks like I’ll be pulling the AC compressor again.

Walkthrough:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Couple of new updates. Working on cleaning up the cowl and lower front windshield molding due to rust, mostly from the wiper motor M6's. Trying to figure out how to freshen up the paint down in there.... or maybe just clean it really reallly well.

Wiper motor hardware is getting replaced with stainless M6 hardware.

And I'm about 98% sure I'm picking this up Saturday:

R154 car. BHG. Stay tuned :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #345

Cleaner but I got rusty edges down in here? What have other people done in this area under the cowl?

Stainless M6 hardware installed, wipers and cowl are in prep & paint.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
And I'm about 98% sure I'm picking this up Saturday:

R154 car. BHG. Stay tuned :)
Non-turbo car with an R-154? Can the trans be confirmed? I see a non-turbo gauge package.

Reactions: pham

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Non-turbo car with an R-154? Can the trans be confirmed? I see a non-turbo gauge package.
I was told it had a 7MGTE and the dude blew the head,then they put in a GE and blew that too. Good catch, I’m getting ready to spend $1600 and drive a couple hours for a car that does not run, I certainly don’t want to buy the wrong thing or get tricked.

@chevydude considering a questionable history and I’ve already pulled the cluster from my own car 4 times already, it’s not a terribly difficult thing to swap fake or modify... how do I verify it’s a R154 other than crawling underneath or asking the seller pics of transmission. I’m fairly certain it’s 89+ Doors are dead giveaway to me although the seller said he thinks it’s an 87.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
^
@pham, the car sounds suspect/odd to me, especially with your expected cost and drive. Have the seller TAKE a picture of the vin and send it to you. Ask for the vin, and ask for a pic of it since it would be easier for them than writing 17 characters. If MA70 is in the vin it is a non-turbo chassis, and MA71 is turbo, thus R-154. It's suspect to me because the seller THINKS it's an 87, but I clearly see 89+ markers, such as the gauges, climate control buttons, and steering wheel. I also see no rear spoiler, and all turbos got a spoiler. It looks like the car may have been repainted and maybe it got removed? Hell. seller doesn't know the car, so it might have a 2jz! Ask for pics of the engine too :D

Visual clues. It's pretty similar, and I'm not sure if there are casting numbers on the case, but the tail section of the two are different. You can see the R-154 tail has reinforcement webbing (lines), while the W58 does not.
Operation is different too.Clutch enagement is pull vs. push. I BELIEVE the R-154 has a push style clutch, while the W58 is pull. Check operation while underneath the car?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
^
@pham, the car sounds suspect/odd to me, especially with your expected cost and drive. Have the seller TAKE a picture of the vin and send it to you. Ask for the vin, and ask for a pic of it since it would be easier for them than writing 17 characters. If MA70 is in the vin it is a non-turbo chassis, and MA71 is turbo, thus R-154. It's suspect to me because the seller THINKS it's an 87, but I clearly see 89+ markers, such as the gauges, climate control buttons, and steering wheel. I also see no rear spoiler, and all turbos got a spoiler. It looks like the car may have been repainted and maybe it got removed? Hell. seller doesn't know the car, so it might have a 2jz! Ask for pics of the engine too :D

Visual clues. It's pretty similar, and I'm not sure if there are casting numbers on the case, but the tail section of the two are different. You can see the R-154 tail has reinforcement webbing (lines), while the W58 does not.
Operation is different too.Clutch enagement is pull vs. push. I BELIEVE the R-154 has a push style clutch, while the W58 is pull. Check operation while underneath the car?
Saw the title. It's a W58 most likely unless someone swapped in R154. Seller can't currently provide evidence of R154 and I've looked at the original ad and that's what led me to believe R154 so I'm just calling shenanigans and walking at this point I think. May still go look at the car but I'm much less excited now than I was yesterday Thanks @chevydude

So it's a clean roller, LSX or 2J swap candidate car but's a not a R154 chassis gem, what would you realistically pay for it? Would anyone even want it? Looks like it's been garaged or barn kept, slight front end and rim damage - I was told to bring another set of rims. Seller originally was asking 3k, it didn't take many words from me to get him down to $1600. He did say he needs money for hisfamily and he's moving and can't take it with him this time. It was towed to Alabama from Ohio, I believe. It doesn't snow in Alabama very often we don't have road salt issues and rusty chassis here, does it snow in Ohio? :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
@pham whats the guys name and does he have two cars.. if so we went out to the middle of nowhere and see that car....
@Chocolate Cowboy the seller's name is Ethan, I don't know anything about another car. Carbon Hill, AL is definitely the middle of nowhere Walker county coal mining country. I wouldn't travel alone there :) This car was listed approx. 3 days ago in the A70 Supra Facebook group

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
Your loss is my loss, fam........pham.

As far as the project goes, I have no interest in a project Mk.III at this point, unless it was 91+ for peanuts, an excellent grade condition and a 1GZ with full harness and ecu; which as we know won't happen. However, as my FB friends would say, I'm open to the universe sending me that positive energy. :D

I look at projects that need engines or have no engine as a metal that happens to roll. A lot of money, time, frustration and dead ends at some point. If I wanted this one, I'd offer 500 max. Blown engine, front end damage, and especially wheel damage, has me concerned for control arm damage or even frame damage. I'm problematic at times with my pessimism, I realize, but how I see it is that it was probably banging off the rev limiter doing donuts then hit a curb. Yeah, no thanks. Anyways, I'm reminded of this vid I saw last night. He had a lot of hurtles, decisions, and stuff to figure out. Yup, project cars. BTW, Puerto Rico has nice license plates.

Anyways, I'd say pass. I do not think you need another project. I do think you have kids, so I'd suggest take the two hours you would've spent getting to the car and toss the kids in one of the Supras and drive around. No kids? Well, you can still drive. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Your loss is my loss, fam........pham.

As far as the project goes, I have no interest in a project Mk.III at this point, unless it was 91+ for peanuts, an excellent grade condition and a 1GZ with full harness and ecu; which as we know won't happen. However, as my FB friends would say, I'm open to the universe sending me that positive energy. :D

I look at projects that need engines or have no engine as a metal that happens to roll. A lot of money, time, frustration and dead ends at some point. If I wanted this one, I'd offer 500 max. Blown engine, front end damage, and especially wheel damage, has me concerned for control arm damage or even frame damage. I'm problematic at times with my pessimism, I realize, but how I see it is that it was probably banging off the rev limiter doing donuts then hit a curb. Yeah, no thanks. Anyways, I'm reminded of this vid I saw last night. He had a lot of hurtles, decisions, and stuff to figure out. Yup, project cars. BTW, Puerto Rico has nice license plates.

Anyways, I'd say pass. I do not think you need another project. I do think you have kids, so I'd suggest take the two hours you would've spent getting to the car and toss the kids in one of the Supras and drive around. No kids? Well, you can still drive. :)
Hammer, meet head of Nail. Two Supras to babysit, a son 8, a daughter 6, a truck, a sedan, an SUV, two homes; one rental property.

Nah I'm good don't need anymore headaches. The interior looks minty fresh and the thought of me and my son building an R154 chassis was neat, but for now I'll pass. I'm just getting my '91 tothe point where I trust it enough to pick up the kids from school and drive it to baseball practice. I'd estimate I've put 500+, maybe even as much as 1000 miles on it, but other than that it's still a work-in-progress.

Some of you folks told me my 91 was rare but it didn't sink in until I started hitting brick walls while trying to source mid-year model change 89+ parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hammer, meet head of Nail. Two Supras to babysit, a son 8, a daughter 6, a truck, a sedan, an SUV, two homes; one rental property.

Nah I'm good don't need anymore headaches. The interior looks minty fresh and the thought of me and my son building an R154 chassis was neat, but for now I'll pass. I'm just getting my '91 tothe point where I trust it enough to pick up the kids from school and drive it to baseball practice. I'd estimate I've put 500+, maybe even as much as 1000 miles on it, but other than that it's still a work-in-progress.

Some of you folks told me my 91 was rare but it didn't sink in until I started hitting brick walls while trying to source mid-year model change 89+ parts.
I saw this car on Facebook Marketplace earlier this week and it just confused me. Who swaps GTE-GE and why in the world? Alarms went off in my head immediately. I considered going to look at it because I'm interested in a non-maroon interior to pull out of car because I doubted it was an R154. Glad the minds on here were just as suspicious as me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
I saw this car on Facebook Marketplace earlier this week and it just confused me. Who swaps GTE-GE and why in the world? Alarms went off in my head immediately. I considered going to look at it because I'm interested in a non-maroon interior to pull out of car because I doubted it was an R154. Glad the minds on here were just as suspicious as me.
FWIW I couldn’t tell you if the owner misrepresented with intent or not. Going forward I’d expect it to listed as a w58 car with a MA70 vin

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW I couldn’t tell you if the owner misrepresented with intent or not. Going forward I’d expect it to listed as a w58 car with a MA70 vin
Hey, maybe I'll consider pulling the interior then if it's posted for a decent price. My 89 turbo R154's interior is both maroon and not in great shape. Guess that's what happens when you leave a car sitting outside for 15 years in the south.

Edit: is it just me, or are turbo 5spd cars really that rare? I found mine through a family friend and rescued it, but I've seen very few around on sites for sale. Have people parted them out to sell R154s or what? Sorry, still fairly new to the culture.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Hey, maybe I'll consider pulling the interior then if it's posted for a decent price. My 89 turbo R154's interior is both maroon and not in great shape. Guess that's what happens when you leave a car sitting outside for 15 years in the south.

Edit: is it just me, or are turbo 5spd cars really that rare? I found mine through a family friend and rescued it, but I've seen very few around on sites for sale. Have people parted them out to sell R154s or what? Sorry, still fairly new to the culture.
Rare enough that if I happen upon one for sale in my own state that also happens to match my turbo automatic interior/exterior I stupidly consider buying it!

On my white ‘91 my temp wheels were called home to their new owner, I’ve taken on a new temporary set of 19” Volks that umm 🤔 do not exactly fit, but don’t rub either.

What tire grooves

341 - 360 of 380 Posts