Supra Forums banner

361 - 380 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rare enough that if I happen upon one for sale in my own state that also happens to match my turbo automatic interior/exterior I stupidly consider buying it!

On my white ‘91 my temp wheels were called home to their new owner, I’ve taken on a new temporary set of 19” Volks that umm 🤔 do not exactly fit, but don’t rub either.

View attachment 254665

View attachment 254666
What tire grooves

View attachment 254667
What're the measurements? Seems like not enough positive offset for our cars, especially in the rear. I do love TE37s though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
I’ll have to try to figure out the measurements but they’ve been described to me as “the most aggressive set of 19’s you can run on a MK4 if you roll your fenders” so they fit exactly nothing. Came off of a 350z 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ll have to try to figure out the measurements but they’ve been described to me as “the most aggressive set of 19’s you can run on a MK4 if you roll your fenders” so they fit exactly nothing. Came off of a 350z 🤷🏼‍♂️
I used to own a 350z actually. They’re probably between +10 and +22.

·
Registered
1987 MA71 R154 Pearl White, Blue Velour
536 Posts
Hey, maybe I'll consider pulling the interior then if it's posted for a decent price. My 89 turbo R154's interior is both maroon and not in great shape. Guess that's what happens when you leave a car sitting outside for 15 years in the south.

Edit: is it just me, or are turbo 5spd cars really that rare? I found mine through a family friend and rescued it, but I've seen very few around on sites for sale. Have people parted them out to sell R154s or what? Sorry, still fairly new to the culture.
I think one of the problems is that with any car, the turbo or higher end versions were sought after early and driven hard by most. From what I've seen in SoCal over the last 20 years is a major drop off in the number of GTE's hitting the yards and a much larger amount of GEs with automatics that look like they have just been sitting in someones back yard for 2 decades.

10 years ago I saw a turbo with a huge chunk of the engine block missing. The car itself was in very decent shape with average sun fade etc.

In 2020 alone I've seen about six Supras in our local yards and any of them that were turbos, the bodies of the cars themselves were crap, like they had been pieced together.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey @pham , I go away for a few weeks and come back to you trying to buy another car? :ROFLMAO: I almost did the same and I'm secretly glad I didn't now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
@Dumeinao here in Georgia I have yet to find a supra in the junk yard.. I can say that when I am out and about, I have seen a few supras in peoples yards or at a shop. I was doing a roadside call a while back and had to pick up a customer from there house car. car was getting towed, the guy opens the garage door and has a +89 supra turbo covered in all kinds of junk. come to find out its his wife car, she drove in college. And was planning on restoring it.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,527 Posts
I think one of the problems is that with any car, the turbo or higher end versions were sought after early and driven hard by most. From what I've seen in SoCal over the last 20 years is a major drop off in the number of GTE's hitting the yards and a much larger amount of GEs with automatics that look like they have just been sitting in someones back yard for 2 decades.
Granted I haven't been hitting the junk yards, as I have no reason to, but I'd agree with this the whole thing relative to Texas, and even national observation trends. The 'GE autos have taken the most abuse in the backyard, poor bastards :(

·
Registered
536 Posts
Granted I haven't been hitting the junk yards, as I have no reason to, but I'd agree with this the whole thing relative to Texas, and even national observation trends. The 'GE autos have taken the most abuse in the backyard, poor bastards :(
Makes me sad; Also, from a number standpoint, I'd love to know a decent estimate of just how many GTE's are out there now. I don't even know the ratio of GE/GTE in build numbers, but just like my car, owned for 25 years now, it never ended up in a junk yard. But, I'm sure a bunch of GTEs were totaled before they ever made it out of the 80s.

·
Registered
145 Posts
@Dumeinao hell I bet there is a huge number that were totaled in the 90s.. but i wonder what the number of cars that the motor was swapped in . if there is so many 1 and 2 jzs out there that means there got to be a shit ton of 7Ms left right?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
I couldn’t stand those huge rims, we’re back to stock trim

But I did replace the stock intake with a homemade k&n unit and it really woke the car up. Don’t worry, I placed the stock stuff in a bin, carefully labeled and preserved 😂

I really dig it because it’s simpler to work on and I can hear whooooosh turbo noises now. Very peppy car now 😃😃

·
Registered
916 Posts
I really dig it because it’s simpler to work on and I can hear whooooosh turbo noises now.
I am past due for an air filter service but I am ignoring it because that damned airbox is a motherfucker to remove.

Car definitely looks better on the stock wheels too. And honestly, the stock wheels tend to look best on a car that hasn't been lowered. Haven't seen many cars that pull of the aftermarket wheels on the stock 4x4 ride height.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I really dig it because it’s simpler to work on and I can hear whooooosh turbo noises now. Very peppy car now 😃😃
stepped away for a few months.....glad to see we appear to be turning the corner from Château Cheval Blanc mk3 supra ownership (keep it all original and preserve it like its special) to modifying the cars performance

as you are experiencing, factory 5.5psi and 230 crankshaft hp is indeed weak sauce. becomes painfully obvious when you turn the car up a bit. and there is no going back imho.

so anyways, next you NEED a boost controller, a wideband (if you don't already have one), an aftermarket fuel pressure reg, upgraded fuel pump, rewire the pump(relay, big + wire), piggy back to tune (and maybe blow up). then you won't get embarrassed by honda minivans and can get into the 13's on that stock ct26/440cc injector setup.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
@madisonMK3 It’s only a tiny hack job K&N air intake, plus my cats are all gutted. Car actually breathes now. I own the Lexus v8 AFM but I’m not fully sure I understand that mod and what to swap where. I know the v8 Lexus AFM doesn’t want to fit in the stock accordion hose. I don’t have the injectors or plan to modify the car further in any case.

@Captain this is much easier to remove and maintain vs. stock. No stress on accordion pipe either vs. stock. Redneck engineering at its finest!

·
Registered
916 Posts
this is much easier to remove and maintain vs. stock. No stress on accordion pipe either vs. stock. Redneck engineering at its finest!
I have an HKS, Apexi, and K&N kit sitting unused

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
I have an HKS, Apexi, and K&N kit sitting unused
shoot me a PM if you’d be interested in selling any of those. I’d love to see pics of each and how they attach to the AFM 😃 I said I was going to keep it OEM but but the car needs to breathe! I’d prefer a legit intake over my homemade adapter +filter but it’s getting the job done.

AC clutch is still on the Fritz but the car got about 3 hours of drive time today: stop and go traffic, interstate, country backroads.

The handling is on point with the factory rims. I might be looking into replacing struts next.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #380 (Edited)
The new air filter has made it much easier to disassemble the accordion and get to the turbo, obv. I did just that last night and my wastegate was shimmed with two washers on each side instead of the required three washers.

Im happy to report the turbo needle reads as high as 8psi.

Edit: no shaft play y’all I just need to check to see if some head gaskets bolts are tight I 🤔

361 - 380 of 380 Posts